Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Thread Closed

Old 03-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
I miss Al

Drives: Nothing worth noting, I'm a kid
Electric Camaro teased? I hope so.

I know that a lot of you hate electric cars(Mostly for reasons which are fixable), so this thread probably won't go well, but this could be the future of the Camaro. If it doesn't go electric, it has no long-term future. If it goes electric soon, it could come back stronger than ever.

Just think about it: GM has committed to a zero-emissions future, and that goes for their entire lineup. The Mustang and Challenger are running away with sales as GM does nothing to help the Camaro compete. The only advertising comes from Real People ads and NASCAR. Al O, the man responsible for making the Camaro one of the best-handling and best bang-for-the-buck performance cars in the world, gets put in charge of engineering GM's electric vehicles, and all hope for a Z/28 is lost. At this point, the Camaro has lost the horsepower war. Its interior quality is falling behind. The designs suck. How could GM save it? Make a stripped-out track car? The last Z/28 failed with that formula. How about a drag version? How many Challenger 1320's do you see? A base V8 version? Well, yeah, but it doesn't help if you don't advertise it...

But what if the Camaro was the the FIRST in its class to do something. What if it could do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? What if it had a lower center of mass than a Corvette? What if it had two trunks, useful rear seats, and more room for everyone? What if it didn't wake the neighbors in the morning but could wake you up with a tap of the throttle? What if, instead of getting laughed at for having a weird grille, it had no grille? What if it didn't emit greenhouse gasses? That's what an electric Camaro could offer. It would be practical, eco-friendly, and look cool, but it would also be capable of keeping up with Porsches and Corvettes. It'd be the first mass-market electric sports car, and it'd appeal to a plethora of demographics.

Well, look at this...

Doesn't that second silhouette look like a 3rd gen Camaro? It sure does to me.

Name:  GM-Electric-Camaro.jpg
Views: 6647
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  GM-Electric-Camaro-1.jpg
Views: 6749
Size:  97.9 KB

GM just announced that there will be an onslaught of new EVs coming, starting with a Cadillac crossover and a Cadillac version of they Taycan. An electric Escalade and Silverado were also announced, and it looks like an electric Trailblazer(new compact SUV, not the bigger Blazer) is also on the horizon. They also revealed a new line of batteries, including the monster 200 KwH unit going into the Hummer, Silverado, and Escalade. Those batteries use 70% less cobalt than current ones, which means that there's not much, if any cobalt in them coming from corrupt mines in the Congo. It also means that the batteries cost much less. Charging is just as quick as the Taycan, which is also important.

GM is serious about making EVs, and that's proven by the fact that they're starting by making electric versions of their best-selling and most-polluting vehicles. Their strategy is to appeal to people by making aggressive, luxurious, or highly capable EVs that show how great they can be, rather than making boring cars like the Bolt and wondering why nobody likes EVs. An electric Camaro follows that same bold strategy and, with Al in place, I'm hopeful that it becomes a reality.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
First post?

Name:  tenor.jpg
Views: 6806
Size:  11.0 KB

"Welcome"...lol
Old 03-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Hell of a first post to come on a Camaro forum and basically say that the best Camaro ever made to date, that the design sucks lol ......not going to get many people that agree with you here.....If and when the Camaro goes electric I guess I will be out of the muscle/sports car market. If its electric, its just a form of transportation at that point so who cares.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1

Last edited by FH212; 03-04-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #4
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
It has its pluses but idk, seeing that you can put the same platform in a variety of vehicle types, there would be no real differentiating aspect of the pony or muscle car. Plus a really quick electric car is currently really expensive. I could see maybe a battery assist kind of like a supercharger or turbo that would help acceleration and also mileage on the highway.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
I miss Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
First post?

Attachment 1022399

"Welcome"...lol
My old account was linked to an old email and I forgot the password, So I had to start a new one. I don't own a Camaro so I don't spend much time here, but I do spend a lot of time following the auto industry. I figured that this teaser was something worth sharing, considering that GM's last official glimpse into the future of the Camaro was the eCOPO.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
I miss Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
It has its pluses but idk, seeing that you can put the same platform in a variety of vehicle types, there would be no real differentiating aspect of the pony or muscle car. Plus a really quick electric car is currently really expensive. I could see maybe a battery assist kind of like a supercharger or turbo that would help acceleration and also mileage on the highway.
Dodge is looking into making hybrids, as are Porsche, Ford, BMW, and others. NASCAR is even talking about going hybrid. But by the time GM puts out a hybrid 6th gen, the electric architecture will be ready. GM wants to put all of its consumer vehicles, aside from the Corvette on just 3 or 4 platforms. Every manufacturer is doing that, including Ford. The s650 Mustang will be on the same platform as the current Explorer, last I checked. All of this is to make cars more affordable, more reliable, and safer, and quicker to design/engineer/develop. The differences between cars will be suspension setups, wheel/tire combos, body styles, motor layouts, and features. Interior designs will also differ. Batteries will be modular, which allows GM to stack cells vertically or put them side-by side in order to make different sizes of vehicles. A chassis could have a wide, flat battery to fit a sports car, then the manufacturer could stack a second, identical battery on top of it and put it all under an SUV. It's genius and cheap. Every car buyer benefits from that. It even makes for great military vehicles, and GM is working on getting Pentagon contracts to prove it.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Related. Al O posted this in the Hummer thread in the General section on Feb 23th
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloppen View Post
All of your questions will be answered on May 20, including what I've been doing for the last year in EV-land. Until then, did you expect any less performance on the Hummer EV from your Camaro Chief?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 03-04-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well if you don’t own a Camaro then you shouldn’t be putting it down on this forum, don’t you think!! This forum is for us 6gen Camaro enthusiasts that own and drive them!
Old 03-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I thought the point of owning a Camaro was the small rear space, no storage, Grill envy, and dino power. I get progress but we might as well be talking about about a world with life sized slot cars. Kind of a downer for driving enthusiasts. We will have to trailer our petrol cars to specialized tracks to drive, what? actually control the car by ourselves. Pay carbon credits. Insurance. Etc... It runs contrary to the concept of open road independence on some level. Not to be a nay sayer but I run against the grain. But I believe it is coming as well.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
I miss Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Well if you don’t own a Camaro then you shouldn’t be putting it down on this forum, don’t you think!! This forum is for us 6gen Camaro enthusiasts that own and drive them!
I want to be one of the engineers working on them after college, and I've been a Chevy fan for as long I can remember. I don't think that a forum should be limited to the owners of whatever the forum is about, as long as whatever people discuss is relevant. Even then, most forums have dedicated off-topic sections. I've been a member of a Corvette-related forum since I was 13, and I know more about C7s and C8s than many of the forum members who own/are purchasing them.

I see people here who don't own 6th gens but do own f-body Camaros or G8s, or even non-gm cars. As long as they contribute something to the forum, nobody cares what they drive. I usually only post on forums when I have something to contribute, such as a new article on something that hasn't been seen/reported or an explanation of how stuff works. I'm a car enthusiast who likes to learn the details about cars, and I help people understand stuff or learn about stuff by sharing what I know.

Whether or not people value what I say is up to them, and IDC if they do or don't. This thread will be on page 3 of the general forum in two days anyways
Old 03-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
So you are an expert on the subject at least in your mind anyway! The subject on the possibility of the next Camaro being electric has been discussed more than once on this forum in the past year since the word came out that the Camaro may be discontinued after 2023! We all know the future of GM is electric according to the CEO of GM and other automakers are going that way too! It’s not new information! Good luck in your desire to become an engineer in the automotive field!
Old 03-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Ummmmm no. Here for the love of the car, the idea of the car and the passion of the owners. Owning has never been nor should it be a requirement.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #13
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by I miss Al View Post
At this point, the Camaro has lost the horsepower war. Its interior quality is falling behind. The designs suck.

The Camaro has plenty of HP and I love the design compared to the competition. Plus we already know GM is considering a hybrid as they send out surveys.

Hybrids are necessary to maximize power. You should have a look at McLaren, Porsche, Koenigsegg technology. The 918 and P1 were produced in 2013.

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
Old 03-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Actually the design and interior of the Camaro was one of the biggest things that made me buy a 2SS, it's sleek, looks clean, isn't overdone and looks different from most interiors you see. Where I live it's basically all audis beamers and mercs, and I've gotten nothing but props on how the interior looks from friends owning various luxury cars of said German brands.

I think way too much emphasis is placed on just slapping slabs of leather on everything and calling it good design or luxurious. I'll even go as far as to say that the dashboard, door panels and steering wheel of the Mustang look outdated and last era, not to hate on that car, I have no skin in the game when it comes to the usual heated Camaro vs Mustang wars. The Challenger has a nice interior though, I like the angled cockpit idea, everything is truly aimed at the driver. But not my preference when it comes to design, even though I see the charm behind it and understand why so many people do.

Closed Thread