Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
The_Lot_Guy

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS manual
Exterior mods debate

I’m making this thread after looking into tire stickers (raised white lettering mainly) as I think it looks cool and I debate doing it myself. Seems the consensus within the Camaro community is its something not to do. Now I whole heartedly agree with the sentiment of “your car, your choice” but the best argument against it was the comparison to spinner wheels and how certain fads come and go. I admit, 15 years ago I thought having 26 inch spinners on your Escalade was cool, when I see them now I laugh.

The stance I’m about to take on a different exterior mod choice, will undoubtedly bring strong disagreement from other owners but I feel the need to express my opinion as it relates to the pet peeves we all have when it comes to certain mod choices.

IN MY OPINION...lol
1. I hate seeing SS owners change over to the ZL1 front end. Yes I love the look of the ZL1 grill, but I find swapping it on to your SS a form of “up-badging”
2. Side window louvres, that’s mustang tat
3. Under lighting (low glows) tisk tisk.

Obviously I respect and admire anybody’s customizations because we all have different likes and making your car your own is awesome. I mainly brought this up to stir the pot in a sense and have a thread for light hearted debates on what any of us find distasteful or uncool.

Let the arguments begin!
The_Lot_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I agree with you 100% on this. I CANNOT stand the ZL1 bumper conversions... something about it just pisses me off to kingdom come!
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #3
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
To each his own but I wont stick a bunch of ZL1 stuff on my SS but that is me. Just Like the Subaru guys taking a WRX and plastering it with STI badges and other stuff trying to make it something it is not.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
I dont mind the SS to ZL1 bumper conversion look. To each their own. I plan on adding the 1LE chin spoiler on my LS, rear diffuser to quad tip, and side skirts. That's all.
Better than the civic guys slapping that Ebay type R badge on a base model.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes I agree too that a ZL1 front end conversion on a SS or the other Camaro models is wrong and in my thinking the person should have bought a ZL1 if they like the look that much. If you buy the OEM parts to convert the look it is a lot of money including paint and if a professional body shop does the work. The louvers are a no go for me too and of course the under car lighting looks ricer. The Donk look doesn’t belong on a Camaro either in my opinion but that’s why we live in the USA so we can make choices and to live basically free from government control.��

Last edited by LT4Greg; 05-07-2020 at 07:34 AM.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
articblueSS

Drives: 2018 ABM 1SS 6M
I’ve come to the conclusion that the “Fast and Furious” generation are now old enough and far enough along in their careers to be able to afford modern day muscle (read: pony) cars. With that, their taste in exterior mods are completely different than some of us older guys. Wide body kits, canards, and ZLE spoilers are tacky to me, but I wouldn’t put anyone down for doing any of those mods. I just won’t do it myself.

Last edited by articblueSS; 05-07-2020 at 07:30 AM.
articblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
I put a ZL1 bumper on mine (Not the AA one, because it looks... off to me. Too pointy or something) because I like the look of it better than the SS. Same as I did with my Cobra (I put a Roush stage 3 bumper on it instead of keeping the stock cobra one because I liked the way it looked better.) That's all. I didn't put ZL1 badges or wheels or anything else ZL1 related, although I would have if I liked the way it looked better than what I have. I still have SS badges on it, one on the rear bumper and I put 1 on each front fender in place of the red, white and blue ones. So, I personally don't think of it as a form of "up-badging", but a form of your personality, style and individuality showing through and putting what you want on your car. I also have over 1000HP and spent half the $ than if I would have bought a ZL1 with only 650.

We all have different tastes, thank God, otherwise the Camaro community would be very boring in my opinion. I say do what you want if you're paying or have paid for it. to all for whatever you do or don't do.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
ZL1 front on an ss reminds me of the escalade front end on a gmc sierra. eehhh no thx fam
Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
If you can tell there's an underlying reason for the aesthetic modification, then I'm ok with it. If at a glance it just looks like they made the change for the sake of the change, then it really just depends on the mod itself.

The ZL1 front bumper I don't see as a positive change for any models below the ZL1 itself, unless the driver is specifically utilizing the front canards on the ZL1 1LE package for his road course setup, then cool. It's like the ZR1 front bumper conversions for Corvette's, too. It allows for much more air to reach the engine bay and allows for more cooling. It's about 50/50 in the community as far as who gets it for aesthetic reasons and who doesn't.

Someone is bound to chime in and say that it doesn't matter what someone does to their car because it's their money, etc., etc. But I do think that there are modifications that certainly reflect upon the community. Gaudy modifications or blatant upbadging just discredits the brand. Look at how most of us view imports in general and the modifications commonly associated with them.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
As long as you don’t badge it as something it’s not then I have no issues with the zl1 front end conversion. But that wicker bill spoiler ? Man don’t get me started on that that nascar looking, silly air brake , but that’s just me , lol. Do whatever you want to your car, you’re the one paying for it.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I did the ZL1 spoiler and wheels, only did the wheels because I bent one of my HRE wheels but after I put them on I found I liked them better, please go easy on me for what I think is a good look
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #12
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
If you can tell there's an underlying reason for the aesthetic modification, then I'm ok with it. If at a glance it just looks like they made the change for the sake of the change, then it really just depends on the mod itself.

The ZL1 front bumper I don't see as a positive change for any models below the ZL1 itself, unless the driver is specifically utilizing the front canards on the ZL1 1LE package for his road course setup, then cool. It's like the ZR1 front bumper conversions for Corvette's, too. It allows for much more air to reach the engine bay and allows for more cooling. It's about 50/50 in the community as far as who gets it for aesthetic reasons and who doesn't.

Someone is bound to chime in and say that it doesn't matter what someone does to their car because it's their money, etc., etc. But I do think that there are modifications that certainly reflect upon the community. Gaudy modifications or blatant upbadging just discredits the brand. Look at how most of us view imports in general and the modifications commonly associated with them.
This
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Lostx403

Drives: 19 SS
I put some VTECH decals on my ride, hell yeah brother
Lostx403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The SS front bumper (16-18) looks better than the ZL1, IMO.

As for raised white lettering, I like this myself. However, the only way to do this, is to use appropriate markers and paint the original lettering on the tires. Beyond that, it looks to cheesy for my tastes. And with 35s, there's not a lot of room to play with.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote