Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Too Much Hype!

For the most part I've always had a performance car of one type or another. From a Plymouth Road Runner, a Plymouth "Cuda", a GTO, and five different new Corvettes (1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, & 2008) the 2004 Z06 was right off the truck. I now have the 2016 Camaro 2SS with all the options except the decals. Up until the other day I still believed that I needed to upgrade my SS with more aftermarket goodies.

Well, not anymore. I've done months of research and have found that, for the most part, most of the bolt-ons are just not worth it. A few additional HP doesn't justify cost. I've been told that for the most part a legal CAI system isn't available in California. The dealers that do sell them tell me to just switch it back to factory before the smog test. Another vendor said that the NPP is more than enough and to just leave that option on my Camaro. Another vendor mentioned a new sway bar set-up. He also mentioned a custom program tune. Still another mentioned a different cam, headers, or larger throttle body.

I can't see it. Short of a supercharger the other "stuff" seems like a money pit. The gains aren't worth it, IMO. My car with all it's factory options is plenty fast enough. I'm going to stop waiting for a California-legal CAI and all the hype that I read about on line and just be happy with my $50k Camaro. There, I'm done venting!
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Corps View Post
For the most part I've always had a performance car of one type or another. From a Plymouth Road Runner, a Plymouth "Cuda", a GTO, and five different new Corvettes (1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, & 2008) the 2004 Z06 was right off the truck. I now have the 2016 Camaro 2SS with all the options except the decals. Up until the other day I still believed that I needed to upgrade my SS with more aftermarket goodies.

Well, not anymore. I've done months of research and have found that, for the most part, most of the bolt-ons are just not worth it. A few additional HP doesn't justify cost. I've been told that for the most part a legal CAI system isn't available in California. The dealers that do sell them tell me to just switch it back to factory before the smog test. Another vendor said that the NPP is more than enough and to just leave that option on my Camaro. Another vendor mentioned a new sway bar set-up. He also mentioned a custom program tune. Still another mentioned a different cam, headers, or larger throttle body.

I can't see it. Short of a supercharger the other "stuff" seems like a money pit. The gains aren't worth it, IMO. My car with all it's factory options is plenty fast enough. I'm going to stop waiting for a California-legal CAI and all the hype that I read about on line and just be happy with my $50k Camaro. There, I'm done venting!
I'm amazed at the amount of BS people put on their camaro's.

So much time energy and money spent to do nothing other that look different (not even look better).

Unfortunately many camaro owners are more concerned with cosmetics than actual performance.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
I feel the same way. I'm still on the fence with all the issues i'm having with my car, but I'm seriously temped to drop 13k for over 700bhp. This engine does have tons of potential I just don't think it's in the shade tree tuner market.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Same here. I've been down the mod path before on previous cars. You have to cam or supercharge it before you will actually feel a difference.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post

So much time energy and money spent to do nothing other that look different (not even look better).

Unfortunately many camaro owners are more concerned with cosmetics than actual performance.
Colored engine covers! Stripes/graphics/lines/inserts everywhere! Airbrushing!

gahhh!

I have pretty much stopped going to car shows and especially the Vette meets.
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmb View Post

I'm one of those that wont waste much time and money on "performance" mods because they are useless to me. I don't track it, as most, and the car already has more than enough power. to me, cosmetics are more important now. a simple spoiler swap and vinyl wrap color changes are enough. to each their own, bro.

what I don't get are people who spend thousands on performance mods that they wont be able to use on the streets without breaking some laws. now if you track it, then that's something else.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
I'm one of those that wont waste much time and money on "performance" mods because they are useless to me. I don't track it, as most, and the car already has more than enough power. to me, cosmetics are more important now. a simple spoiler swap and vinyl wrap color changes are enough. to each their own, bro.

what I don't get are people who spend thousands on performance mods that they wont be able to use on the streets without breaking some laws. now if you track it, then that's something else.

yup.

you can get in all kinds of trouble with 455 HP. I have taken mine to the track and will continue to do so.

next upgrades include square stance wheels and possibly sway bars. Don't need anything more than that.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
When isn't 170 miles per hour fast enough?

SnoWhite
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
When isn't 170 miles per hour fast enough?
For lift off
Old 08-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'm with the consensus thus far - I am not performance modding this car. I put a ton of performance money in my 5th Gen (cam, cai, headers, full exhaust, short throw shifter, lowering springs and sway bar kit, 3.91 rear gears, electric cutouts, wider rims and tires). And with all that - my stock 6th gen is just as fast in a straight line and definitely better in the curves - plus has a ton better interior, instrumentation - etc.

I also learned the hard way that you must "pay to play" when after 17K miles the aftermarket cam and the lifters started eating each other. That cost me a top end rebuild and when I sold the car I got zero dollars back from all the mods.

I'm quite happy with this LT1 just the way it is - especially with the NPP exhaust.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'm with the consensus thus far - I am not performance modding this car. I put a ton of performance money in my 5th Gen (cam, cai, headers, full exhaust, short throw shifter, lowering springs and sway bar kit, 3.91 rear gears, electric cutouts, wider rims and tires). And with all that - my stock 6th gen is just as fast in a straight line and definitely better in the curves - plus has a ton better interior, instrumentation - etc.

I also learned the hard way that you must "pay to play" when after 17K miles the aftermarket cam and the lifters started eating each other. That cost me a top end rebuild and when I sold the car I got zero dollars back from all the mods.

I'm quite happy with this LT1 just the way it is - especially with the NPP exhaust.
I'll admit I have thought about doing the short throw shifter. Would you care to give your opinion on that?
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #12
GP86

Drives: 2017 2SS
I have to agree with you. I am the type to always mess with something whether it needs it or not. However, I am finding that my 2SS is just right. I may get bored sometime down the road and put on a supercharger or something ridiculous. But right now, this car is just great as is. It is all sorts of fun just as it comes off the assembly line.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #13
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Yea I agree. I plan on just doing cosmetic stuff and maybe suspension. If I want power i'll add a supercharger down the road.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
With modern engine design and engine management systems, car companies in general are getting the most out of the engine as they design it the way it comes from the factory. It's not just the Camaro - you'd be hard pressed to find much more power in any modern engine without massive upgrades and spending a ton of cash.

In the old days you could get good results a few bolt ons. Now that won't give you much of anything. Don't fall for the ploy of cold air intakes - they are useless in modern cars. Other than for sound.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote