Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2023, 11:15 PM   #113
JAITG

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilate View Post
This is reassuring. What are your opinions of Android Auto?

I've held off from using it due to privacy concerns as well. Maybe to the point of silliness, I just don't want to share any of my cars data with the app.

How was the process for getting to the box? And do we know if there are any changes from 2018 to 2024?

Android Auto is great. I run it through an MA1 Motorola adapter since the 18 didn't come with wireless android auto.
AAwireless box was ultimately terrible and all the small nuances added up.

I don't think it will share telemetry data like speed with google AFAIK.

It was a pain in the ass to get the rear two bolts. Front two were easy, requires a a lot of pressure to wedge that pannel behind the passenger's knee airbag then put it back but it has some flex. Otherwise once it was lowered the antenna box didnt take much to get out. Be careful putting those two rear screws back, I dropped one behind the carpet and thankfully was able to fish it out using the force. I got very lucky. Maybe tape that edge of the carpet so it doesn't fall behind it if it drops and magnetize your socket!

No changes have been announced but it seems some on 19+ cars reported their AA/AC microphone does not work after removing this board, however if its the antenna booster daughter board, I have a hard time understanding why that would mess with the microphone. Maybe the onstar fuse was not replaced which is needed to restore the microphone. But you can test the onstar button in various areas, should error out saying it can't connect you.
JAITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:38 PM   #114
Buellrider

Drives: 2023 1SS 1LE
So I have a 23 SS and just removed the Onstar module. As others have stated, the onstar lights go off after a couple of minutes. Strange thing is, pushing the mic button on the steering wheel works while the onstar lights are still on. However, once they are off so is my steering wheel mic function.

BT still functions properly and can make and receive calls but only initiating through my phone or CarPlay on the infotainment screen. If I only lose that mic command function, then I am fine with the removal of the onstar module. I like anonymity.

Lastly, the removal of the module was different than the older models as depicted in the OP, it slides out where the two antenna connections are after you remove the two silver screws holding it in the housing.
Buellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:21 PM   #115
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
Why (if anyone knows) the circuit board is not completely shut down after pulling off the wire connections from the board, why is it necessary to actually remove the board?
Does it have additional plug in connections soldered to the board that make a secondary connection?
Thanks.
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:27 PM   #116
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Just did this, FINALLY. Thanks to CellSafeMode for this thread!
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2024, 07:46 PM   #117
Buellrider

Drives: 2023 1SS 1LE
Posting for reference, this board is out of my 2023.
Buellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:02 AM   #118
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
good Intel here

I signed an opt out form predelivery and pulled the fuse.
no lights on up top.
pressing any of the buttons results in nothing.

Even though all the OS equipment bullshit is still installed
I assume I'm off the radar ???
at start up I have a message onstar not activated
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:39 PM   #119
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Have you noticed the battery tray in the new models. 2023?
Altough its empty.

are they anticipating a battery to still get connected if the fuse is pulled? Like any decent alarm system with geolocation?
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:53 PM   #120
JAITG

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
good Intel here

I signed an opt out form predelivery and pulled the fuse.
no lights on up top.
pressing any of the buttons results in nothing.

Even though all the OS equipment bullshit is still installed
I assume I'm off the radar ???
at start up I have a message onstar not activated
Yes you should be offline with this but who knows anymore with people wondering about battery backups on the 23's

With the LexisNexis and Verisk crap coming out this thread is going to blow up I'm sure, but for good reason.
JAITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:58 PM   #121
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I'm sure it can't be this simple, but what if you slid the antanea and module into a Faraday cage bag or two to block the signal and leave everything connected?
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:30 PM   #122
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
Thanks for the detailed instructions in this thread.

As noted above I did lose the compass function and my nav shows the GPS logo with an X through it. GPS still seems to work though.
Attached Images

atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:34 PM   #123
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Please forgive my lack of knowledge on how the antenna(s) connects to the board. There is two antenna connections on the board. Are they both for data being transferred to and from the vehicle or is one connection for sending and one for receiving? Reason I ask is just wondering if there is a way to make it so the vehicle can not send out info but can still receive. This way there is no data being shared from the vehicle but the vehicle can still receive info for things like the gps for the navigation, speed limit info, etc. Figured it was worth asking.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:09 AM   #124
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnovrit View Post
Please forgive my lack of knowledge on how the antenna(s) connects to the board. There is two antenna connections on the board. Are they both for data being transferred to and from the vehicle or is one connection for sending and one for receiving? Reason I ask is just wondering if there is a way to make it so the vehicle can not send out info but can still receive. This way there is no data being shared from the vehicle but the vehicle can still receive info for things like the gps for the navigation, speed limit info, etc. Figured it was worth asking.
I saw a post on Facebook where it said connecting an RF terminator resistor would do just that. Amazon link below. Not sure which of the two connectors it hooks to, but the guy had subscribed to OnStar and verified no data was being reported when he had the terminator connected to the correct side, but he still had compass, etc.

[DHT Electronics RF coaxial Connector Adapter SMA Male coaxial Termination Loads 1W DC- 3.0GHz 50 ohm Pack of 2]

https://a.co/d/5rdTHIR
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 01:33 PM   #125
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
I saw a post on Facebook where it said connecting an RF terminator resistor would do just that. Amazon link below. Not sure which of the two connectors it hooks to, but the guy had subscribed to OnStar and verified no data was being reported when he had the terminator connected to the correct side, but he still had compass, etc.

[DHT Electronics RF coaxial Connector Adapter SMA Male coaxial Termination Loads 1W DC- 3.0GHz 50 ohm Pack of 2]

https://a.co/d/5rdTHIR
Thank you for the link and info. Do you happen to have a link to the Facebook post? Sounds like this would be the perfect fix for those wanting to keep the functionality of the vehicle and stop Onstar completely.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 03:44 PM   #126
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
I'm sure it can't be this simple, but what if you slid the antanea and module into a Faraday cage bag or two to block the signal and leave everything connected?
Technically, I'm not an antennae guy, but I do play as an EE in my everyday life.

By terminating the antennae to ground with those SMA 50 ohm loads, you effectively terminated (get it?) the antennae length right where they are attached. But, the entire electrical trace from the output of the chip that generates the signal, to the end of the antennae, is strictly speaking, still an antennae, which is why earlier I do believe that some signal was able to get through in gatormaro's testing. At a much reduced signal strength he was close enough to a receiver / transmitter tower that it was able to communicate.

I spoke to one of our RF design guys, and he suggest getting some old fashioned copper tape and trying to shield the rest of the signal that way.

I'm going to pull my module (I have a 2022 ZL1) and bring it in to work and take a look at it under a scope, and let him have a gander at it. These big brain guys love a good puzzle.

For now, I'll probably just pull it when I get around to it.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote