Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
08z51c6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - A8, MRC, NPP
Pinnacle Black Lable Diamond Coating Use and Impressions

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Elite Kit

I recently detailed my Camaro with Pinnacle's Black Label Diamond Coatings and wanted to share my experience using the products. This is the first time I've used any of the paint coatings so this was all a new experience. Previously I used Turtle Wax Clear Coat Polish and Ice Wax products and had great results with them. Only negative was I used to detail my cars about every three months.

Back to the Pinnacle products.

Kit includes:
Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish, 8 oz.
Black Label Diamond Paint Coating, 4 oz.
Black Label Diamond Glass Coating, 4 oz.
Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating 4 oz.
2 Lake Country Coating Applicator
2 Gold Wax Finger Pockets
2 Miracle Towel, 16 x 24 inches

First step was a wash using Dawn dishwasher detergent to strip any stuff the dealer may have applied to the car.

Second step was another wash using Nanoskin Bubble Bath car wash and a Nanoskin Autoscrub wash mitt. The wash mitt has a microfiber towel like finish on one side and a rubberized finish on the other. The object is to wash the vehicle using the rubberized side of the mitt while keeping plenty of suds for lubricant. The desired result is like claying your car but much easier process. This is where I pulled a newbie move and didn't have enough suds or pressed to hard on the wash mitt. On some sections of the car I had very fine micro scratches. Luckily the next step took care of the problem.

Third step was to use the surface cleansing polish to prep the paint for the paint coating. For this step I used one of the Lake Country Applicators and applied the polish one section of the car at a time. I wiped the polish off using a clean lint free microfiber towel. When I was done I had a nice clean, scratch free and super smooth finish and was ready to apply the paint coating.

Fourth step was the application of the paint coating. For this step I used the second Lake Country Applicator and sprayed a little of the paint coating on the panel and spread it around using the applicator until the coating was rubbed into the surface. I then buffed the panel using a clean lint free microfiber towel. I repeated this process until the whole car was done.

Fifth step was the application of the cleansing polish and wheel coating to the wheels. This process is the same as the application to the painted surfaces.

I haven't used any of the glass products, that's for another day.

So my overall impression is the products were super easy to use and the car looks awesome and is super smooth and very shiny. I only did one coat of the paint coating due to time issues but I'd like to go back and apply a second coat this weekend. The downside is the products are expensive and there is no way you will get the number of applications they say you will. The kit claims you get enough product to do five vehicles and that's just not going to happen. Three vehicles at the most and that's depending on the number of coats you apply (any more than two is a waste) and the condition of the vehicles paint.

The big question is how long will the coating last? It's supposed to last up to three years and if it does then it justifies the cost in my eyes. I'll be using the rest of the products on my C5 Corvette which will be a good test because it's not a new car. I'll post my results on that car once I'm done.
Attached Images

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
08z51c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Very interesting. 180 bucks is definitely less than the nearly 1k you'd be spending at a shop.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Most of the cost of using an outside detailer for a coating is surface prep. 6-8-10 hours of polishing. So it's $180 if you want to do that facet yourself. If not, a detailers time is 50-70 an hour along with having to buy 200 worth of tools to do t yourself.

Pinnacle is good for two years in most climates.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Most of the cost of using an outside detailer for a coating is surface prep. 6-8-10 hours of polishing. So it's $180 if you want to do that facet yourself. If not, a detailers time is 50-70 an hour along with having to buy 200 worth of tools to do t yourself.

Pinnacle is good for two years in most climates.
I'm definitely pleased with the results and it did take just about the entire day to complete the process. I just wish I had put two coats of the paint coating on instead of just one. I'm hoping it's ok to wipe the car down and do a second coat. If not I'll just leave it as it is.

The real test will be my 2001 C5 Corvette because the paint isn't new and will need a lot of prep work before the paint coating is applied. That may be a two day adventure

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08z51c6 View Post
I'm definitely pleased with the results and it did take just about the entire day to complete the process. I just wish I had put two coats of the paint coating on instead of just one. I'm hoping it's ok to wipe the car down and do a second coat. If not I'll just leave it as it is.

The real test will be my 2001 C5 Corvette because the paint isn't new and will need a lot of prep work before the paint coating is applied. That may be a two day adventure
On a c5 your gonna need a 2 stage polish and an orbital with a medium pad at med speed. Meguires 105, and then 205 polish. Then start your pinnacle application from there.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
08z51c6

Quote:
On a c5 your gonna need a 2 stage polish and an orbital with a medium pad at med speed. Meguires 105, and then 205 polish. Then start your pinnacle application from there.
Thanks for the tip. It's going to be a challenge but it will be fun.

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
Glen e

Congrats for leaning and trying something new. It's a whole new game in detailing in the last 5 years. "Wash and wax" is dead. Start picking up coating tips in the autogeek forum area.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Congrats for leaning and trying something new. It's a whole new game in detailing in the last 5 years. "Wash and wax" is dead. Start picking up coating tips in the autogeek forum area.

Autogeek and their sister site autopia have a lot of great tips and experiences shared.
It is a bit of investment up front, but coatings are a major time saver in the end. Pinnacle, Wolfgangs are pretty user friendly, as well as the Kamikaze line up.
You did a nice job on your ride.

To answer longevity it depends on the environment and the after care. I use Kamikaze overcoat as a topper.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikazi-over-coat/

A coating for a coating if you will. Also use a car soap designed for coatings and wax free. I would stick with any soap designed in the product line for washing or use this it is a great coating soap.
http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-bathe-plus/

As far as an additional coat of your coating you will have to consult with the manufacturer as there are strict timelines that a second coat can be applied.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Autogeek and their sister site autopia have a lot of great tips and experiences shared.
It is a bit of investment up front, but coatings are a major time saver in the end. Pinnacle, Wolfgangs are pretty user friendly, as well as the Kamikaze line up.
You did a nice job on your ride.

To answer longevity it depends on the environment and the after care. I use Kamikaze overcoat as a topper.

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikazi-over-coat/

A coating for a coating if you will. Also use a car soap designed for coatings and wax free. I would stick with any soap designed in the product line for washing or use this it is a great coating soap.
http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-q2-bathe-plus/

As far as an additional coat of your coating you will have to consult with the manufacturer as there are strict timelines that a second coat can be applied.
Autogeek is where I got the Pinnacle kit from. They have a maintenance kit that I'm going to pick up for maintaining the coating. I'm going to stay within their product line since I liked how easy they were to use.

As for the second coating I think I'm going to leave it alone. I have two other cars I want to do. I'm going to see if I can get three cars out of the kit.

Thanks for the tips

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 03-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
My question would be ...

If applying too much can simply be wiped off so that only the intended microscopic layer of glass is bonded to the paint. How do you apply a second layer even if you wanted to? Wouldn't the second layer just wipe off because it doesn't bond to layers of nano-glass beneath it? Or is there a time period you have to wait before applying a second coat that i'm not seeing in the autogeek instructions? With other nano-glass/ceramic treatments you hear about multiple layers so the just wiping off of excess amounts is a bit confusing
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:20 PM   #11
08z51c6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
My question would be ...

If applying too much can simply be wiped off so that only the intended microscopic layer of glass is bonded to the paint. How do you apply a second layer even if you wanted to? Wouldn't the second layer just wipe off because it doesn't bond to layers of nano-glass beneath it? Or is there a time period you have to wait before applying a second coat that i'm not seeing in the autogeek instructions? With other nano-glass/ceramic treatments you hear about multiple layers so the just wiping off of excess amounts is a bit confusing
I'm new to this so don't take this as fact but the first coat would have to have a time period to cure before doing the second coat. What that length of time is I'm not sure. I've just decided to leave the car alone before I screw something up

Current Vehicle:
2001 C5 Corvette

Previous Cars:
2009 C6 Z06
2008 C6 Z51 PKG
Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Looks real nice...I have thought about ceramic coatings, but decided to use Blackfire Crystal Sealant. It is great stuff and works well for me. My car is garaged, used generally as a DD, but not always. No crappy weather, doesn't get beat up on highways all the time, etc., so I decided against ceramic/nano. I may experiment at some point. Either way you can't go wrong as long as you take your time. Products for paint and protection have come such a long way, it is just unbelievable!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #13
Glen e

If you are new to detailing, and don't understand anything about polishing and application techniques, cut your teeth on a wipe on sealant first. Ceramic coatings, if applied wrong, need to be polished off. I had a car brought to me last year with all sorts of high spots that had cured of cquartz, another coating. Took five hours to polish off.

Don't think ceramics are the magic product, yes they work well, but something like crystal seal works well, I use it as I don't like permanent. Don't chase the single magic product, there are 20 ways these days to get to the land of "glasslike gloss" and durability.

The other problem is people don't simply do the research and do it the way video tells you to do it. I have so many instances where I tell somebody how to do something when they ask, then they come back and add their own half baked knowledge to it , and screw it up because they don't want to follow directions.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Looks real nice...I have thought about ceramic coatings, but decided to use Blackfire Crystal Sealant. It is great stuff and works well for me. My car is garaged, used generally as a DD, but not always. No crappy weather, doesn't get beat up on highways all the time, etc., so I decided against ceramic/nano. I may experiment at some point. Either way you can't go wrong as long as you take your time. Products for paint and protection have come such a long way, it is just unbelievable!
The crystal seal is a fantastic product. Quick, easy, and looks great!
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote