Drives: 22 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Here they are... painted RED in my case, which makes them at least 25% stronger
Nice stainless hardware in that bay.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:56 PM   #16
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I bought mine used and I think it came with an std from fla…
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:33 AM   #17
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I bought mine used and I think it came with an std from fla…
There’s a lot of STD’s in Arizona too😜
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #18
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I have a BMR one that came on mine. I've noticed that after removing the bolts off of one side alone I cannot put the them back on the tower unless I loosen up the other side which tells me that without the brace the towers are separating a little bit.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #19
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
I have a BMR one that came on mine. I've noticed that after removing the bolts off of one side alone I cannot put the them back on the tower unless I loosen up the other side which tells me that without the brace the towers are separating a little bit.
That's good evidence of the effect and flex, thanks for sharing... seems like that would cause alignment specs to vary some under stress in a way I'd prefer it doesn't :-)

Fyi, if you have a ZLE be careful not to over TQ the bolts... the spec is only 16 ft/lbs and the DSSV camber plate thread-inserts are not as stout as the standard ZL1 strut threads.

Last edited by SFV1LE; 09-01-2023 at 11:10 AM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:03 PM   #20
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Technically not the same platform. It's the Gen2 of the Alpha chassis just like its on the new gen of magnaride. Plus a 4 door vs a 2 door. The ATS and CTS are on the same platform as the 6th gen Camaro and only the CTS V has strut braces the ATS V doesn't. I guess the smaller 4 door didn't need it since it's not as long?

Like I said, it's purely a cosmetic item at this point until someone takes a ZL1 (coupe) and tests it with and without a strut tower brace.

Yes, it does help stiffen up the car for handling but if GM really thought the ZL1 needed it, then why didn't they put it on the ZL1 1LE? They liked the balance the car had without the brace.
It isn't. There are NVH aspects to adding one, certain criteria in respect to steering feel and a very slight improvement to overall rigidity at the front structure. But, yes, it isn't significant and that is why the ZL1 cars don't have it. That is why the majority of the Alpha-Camaros don't have it.

It comes down to what are the expectations and positioning wanted for a Chevy vs a Caddy? What is expectation of Camaro vs CTS/CT5? Who are the customers? Does this align with those per $$.

The ATS alpha structure is a bit different than the CTS; the Camaro a bit different than the CTS, but the Camaro is closer to the CTS than the ATS. The CT5 and CT4 structures are pretty close to the Camaro, with the CT5 probably being the closest.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote