Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #29
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
driving a car hard does not require driving it like a Chimp. The Mt82 has always shifted better with proper technique over brute force.
Because it's weak and poorly designed.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #30
torqueaddict

Quote:
No, it's exactly the opposite because you have no data to back up your assumption.
Actually, i've already presented data. You just refuse to accept it.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I have always wondered if some of the MT82 issues are driver induced? I purchased a used low mileage 2012 GT that had lockout issues in 3rd and 4th gear anything over 6200 rpms. My present Boss has no issues even banging gears at 7500 rpms. Either way most seem to point to the clutch being the issue, more than the transmission itself. Also note I had to change the clutch out of my 2010 SS because it also suffered lockout issues.
The T56 in the '03-'04 Cobras had lockout issues at high rpm. I think it was more of a problem with the clutch not fully disengaging. I cured the issue in my old '03 Cobra by switching out to a different clutch quadrant, never had issues shifting in the upper rpm's after that.

I currently have a T56 Magnum (basically a TR6060 in a T56 shell) in my '69 Mach1 with a hydraulic clutch. It's a bit clunky shifting, but I'm sure it's strong. Not as smooth and slick shifting as my co-workers '18 Mustang GT tho.

I agree that a lot of these lockout issues have more to do with the clutch and/or clutch masters than with the physical transmission.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #32
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
How do you like the Boss? I've been considering one (with supercharger), but for what I plan to do, the 5th gen ZL1 might be the best car for me. The thing that scares me away from the Boss is that it seems a new clutch and shifter are almost mandatory, even stock. And the tranny isn't up for many mods. The lockout issues seem pretty widespread and unfortunate, especially since it happens at high rpms, which is what the Boss motor was meant to do.
I love my Boss. As you can see from my prior cars I have had a few late models and this is the the most enjoyable to drive. The growl and overall sound is intoxicating, banging shifts at 7500 will bring a to your face. Its fast, just as quick as today's manuals tested at 4.0 0-60, and 12:30s just like the present GT and SS offerings.

A couple of notes if you test one you have to test with the Track Key (Red), the silver key seems docile in comparison. To get the best handling I find adjusting the shocks to the no. 4 setting offers the best compromise. Another is the car garners great attention, they are rare in my area. Other than the Recaros the interior is not a highlight, and the sync stereo isn't very good. The RoadRunner is a work of art and with forged internals ready for anything you can throw at it.

The MT82 is an issue. I test drove 2 other Boss's and both had lockout issues at 7500 rpms, I passed on both. If you decide to purchase tell the seller you are running it up to redline or walking away.

The only other car which I can say I really had fun actually driving was my 04 Cobra, just raw and powerful.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #33
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Actually, i've already presented data. You just refuse to accept it.
you posted unverified owner claims with no analysis of the root cause of the issues. If you took all those unsubstantiated claims and accepted them at face value it would still be a small fraction of the number of MT82 cars sold, in other words...your assumption is nothing more than that.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #34
torqueaddict

Quote:
you posted unverified owner claims with no analysis of the root cause of the issues. If you took all those unsubstantiated claims and accepted them at face value it would still be a small fraction of the number of MT82 cars sold, in other words...your assumption is nothing more than that.
Unverified? So the ford techs who took apart the trannies are lying? The pictures of broken forks were doctored? The gazillion complaints online dating back how many years are ALL BS?

Just using the small sample size on the Mustang6g forums, statistically, the percentage that have posted about MT82 problems is telling.

And to be fair, the same applies to the Camaro rear diff and A8 issues. They may not happen to everyone (i'm lucky so far regarding the diff), but the numbers aren't lying. I fully expect to have a diff groan issue at some point.

And why are the parts for the MT82 on backorder resulting in weeks of downtime if there weren't widespread issues?

All the pieces tell a story. We don't need Sherlock Holmes to figure it out.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
I'm not claiming that there haven't been issues with the tranny and they are probably worse then they should be , but claiming an owner would be lucky to not have a shift fork break or any of the other issues based on nothing more than a relatively small percentage of owners claiming various problems on the internet is nonsense.

MT82 owners who have no issues dont start threads on forums to tell the world. Also theres a reason most owners claim their motor or tranny broke while they were "just driving home from daycare"

I've known 2 MT82 owners and neither ever had a problem with the trans.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #36
torqueaddict

Quote:
I'm not claiming that there haven't been issues with the tranny and they are probably worse then they should be , but claiming an owner would be lucky to not have a shift fork break or any of the other issues based on nothing more than a relatively small percentage of owners claiming various problems on the internet is nonsense.

MT82 owners who have no issues dont start threads on forums to tell the world. Also theres a reason most owners claim their motor or tranny broke while they were "just driving home from daycare"

I've known 2 MT82 owners and neither ever had a problem with the trans.
If you're going to continue to deny the obvious, then there's really no point in debating this any further. We'll agree to disagree.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #37
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
If you're going to continue to deny the obvious, then there's really no point in debating this any further. We'll agree to disagree.
To argue whether there is or isn't a issue with the MT82 is silly, we know there is an issue the same as we know there is an issue with the present Camaro A8. Is every transmission impacted no, but there are many who have had issues. If you are one of the unlucky ones who had a problem as I was it can be really frustrating. All this being said there are many MT82 cars out there doing fine even with significant modifications. The other thing to consider is many of the folks buying these MT82 cars which is generally younger crowd may have never owned a manual car in the past as they are pretty rare these days with the trend towards all automatics.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #38
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Nothing wrong with the a8 itself. The torque converter has been the main issue for some
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #39
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
The ongoing problems with the MT82s are plastered all over the web. Grinding and lockout issues seem to be the norm. Now with the 2018s, they are still grinding, but breaking shift forks due to a design change. There will always be owners that luck out a get one that works as it should. Still, there's a reason Ford put a TR6060 in the GT500....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yea, I hear a lot of bitching about the GT M6 from the guys who really can drive a manual and do......
+1 ^^^

The A10 guys rave about how awesome their trans is, the M6 guys complain about the lockout. If you drive it like Miss Daisy you'll probably never have an issue.

You can see the true gear bangers frustration at the track, their is definitely something wrong there.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #40
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
John Laughlin had his 4th gear turn into another neutral in his 2016 GT at Optima a couple of weeks ago. It's an autocross car that had been on track for 45 minutes ever. So it had been driven hard, but not in 4th gear. 4th gear came out with the transmission fluid - in pieces.

As for Supercharged Camaro vs. Supercharged Coyote - I've never driven a supercharged Coyote, but i'm sure it's awesome. I just supercharged my Camaro, and it's awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'll keep my Camaro.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #41
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
Honestly...

For straight line performance, the Mustang wins hands down. The Coyote motor loves boost.
Attached Images

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #42
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedhead View Post
Honestly...

For straight line performance, the Mustang wins hands down. The Coyote motor loves boost.
If you force the lt1 to stay SBE it wins. If not they can make just as much or more. In the end it’s a money game and anything can be fast with boost
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote