Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
JBA Headers Install

I have a set of JBA 1 7/8 inch headers on the way. Placed the order with Maryland Speed. Should be here by Wednesday. Before I begin the install are there any questions that you guys have that I could answer when I get the headers. Or any specific pics you guys want take or general info to pass on.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Pics of the headers along with a review and install walk-through would be a great reference for the forum.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Turbo_RORO

No problem. Headers show on Wednesday.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Turbo_RORO

My headers have shown up. Ill be doing the install this weekend. So far the headers look good. Everything in the pic is what they come with. If anyone has specific questions or want to see any specific pics let me know. If not ill just install and document as best as I can.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I look forward to seeing the install. Are you going to be using a lift?
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Turbo_RORO

As of right now I will be using a jack and stands. But I am lining up a lift for a few hours. I'm getting all of my tolls together right now. I will be building my own intermediate pipes so I will document that along the way as well.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Looks good! Try to get shots of the clearance to the passenger wire harness at the frame rail, the steering column, and the lower crossmember.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
In for install info
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Turbo_RORO

Ok sorry for the delay. I have installed the headers and have been driving with them on my car for a while. As far as the install there were no instruction so I had to figure it out as I went. Which was not hard. I ran into some problems and was waiting to hear back from the company before I wrote my review.

Driver side:

Remove spark plug wires and plugs, factory cat, remove factory manifold bolts. The factory manifold can come out through the top. Super easy.
Install remove the two bolts that hold the I-shaft on, remove I-shaft, put header in from the top down. Put a couple bolts in, put gasket on install the rest of the bolts. reinstall the I-shaft. the driver side can be don't in about 20 minutes.

Problem #1: Due to the shape and diameter of the tubes you will not be able to use the factory Spark plug wire as the factory wire will literally be in contact with the #3,5,7 cylinders tubes.

Problem #2: The factory o2 connectors will not reach each other. The headers do not come with extensions. So you can either buy extensions or you can extend the factory harness.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
Turbo_RORO

Now on to the passenger side.

Remove the factory dipstick, cats, manifold, and all associated brackets. While you're at it remove the starter, and valve cover. I removed the retainer bolt on the coolant reservoir and bungeed it out of the way. With all of those items removed you will have enough clearance to drop the headers in from the top.

Install: Place the manifold in from the top, and bungee it in place. install the starter and shield with the manifold loose (it will allow more room to work). Also be very careful as the connector on the starter can be brittle. With the starter installed you need to weave the dipstick through the header while beginning the alignment process for header a bolt. With the dipstick installed you can install the manifold and gasket. This part is straight forward. With the manifold bolted down I would suggest that you relocate the factory wire harness higher and behind the coolant reservoir. Replace the coolant reservoir and nut. I initially thought that I wouldn't have to remove the starter but because of the diameter of the V-band you will have clearance issues on the install. Replace the valve cover, wiring bracket, and top off the coolant if needed.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Where did you purchase these JBA headers? I was told by Maryland Speed these are not available at all a month ago.

Blake

https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Turbo_RORO

OVERALL REVIEW:

Now that I have been driving the car for a few weeks I can say that I like the way that the car sounds. It is much louder. Where there used to be a little "gurgle" between shifts with the factory equipment now there is a clear "pop" (which I love). The coating is great. I can drive the car, hot lap the car, and 10 minutes later I can touch the headers. No joking I can say without a doubt I will never buy another set of headers without the coating. It has really decreased my under hood temps. I'm am not sure how much but I really wish I would have measured this before and after. I did not dyno before or after either. I did tune it after the install and can say that between the headers and the tune I picked up a solid .1-.15 in the 1/8 which is great.

Fit: 3/5

I like the fit of the headers on the chassis. It is not close to any frame parts, body parts or wiring. But it did require me to have to replace the factory spark plug wires. ( I am not sure if this is needed with any other headers) the location of the o2 sensor on the driver side is very close to the transmission making installing the sensor irritating.

Finish: 4/5

I love the finish of these headers. They look good. They reduce under hood temps, and will "fight corrosion and rust" (we'll see, Florida humidity is REAL). A couple things I do not like about the finish is it is not scatch resistance at all. It scratches very easily. Also some of the tubes are so close that the heat generated between the two is discoloring the coating.

Overall quality: 3/5

The headers use a 409 stainless where as many of the more expensive brands use 304 stainless. The tubes are not flush with the flange which does not cause any problems (currently). It just makes it look like the headers are not bolted down all of the way. The weld are nothing pretty to look at but are functional (not TIG). The V-bands are a nice touch it makes fabricating intermediate pipes easier.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #13
Turbo_RORO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED Crazy View Post
Where did you purchase these JBA headers? I was told by Maryland Speed these are not available at all a month ago.
I ordered them from Maryland speed. Give them another call. Also I will be getting pictures up soon.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #14
Sydande

Drives: 2017 Camaro Ss A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_RORO View Post
Ok sorry for the delay. I have installed the headers and have been driving with them on my car for a while. As far as the install there were no instruction so I had to figure it out as I went. Which was not hard. I ran into some problems and was waiting to hear back from the company before I wrote my review.

Driver side:

Remove spark plug wires and plugs, factory cat, remove factory manifold bolts. The factory manifold can come out through the top. Super easy.
Install remove the two bolts that hold the I-shaft on, remove I-shaft, put header in from the top down. Put a couple bolts in, put gasket on install the rest of the bolts. reinstall the I-shaft. the driver side can be don't in about 20 minutes.

Problem #1: Due to the shape and diameter of the tubes you will not be able to use the factory Spark plug wire as the factory wire will literally be in contact with the #3,5,7 cylinders tubes.

Problem #2: The factory o2 connectors will not reach each other. The headers do not come with extensions. So you can either buy extensions or you can extend the factory harness.

im actually looking into purchasing these headers, how did u solve the problem with the spark plug wires are in contact wit hthe #3,5,7 cylinder tubes? thanks!
Sydande is offline   Reply With Quote