Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
What is wrong with my car?

Lately my car has been smelling like gas/rotten eggs, then it started overheating and the backfires have been a lot louder (see video). I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for the overheating part, they say it might be a bad thermostat but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be worried about. Currently not tuned with high flow cats and throwing codes P015d, P0420, and P0430 which I expected with the cats. https://youtu.be/IJ9tdKL2ATQ
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I am not able to look into those codes, but I associate the rotten egg smell with cat problems...a sulfur type smell.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I am not able to look into those codes, but I associate the rotten egg smell with cat problems...a sulfur type smell.
Agreed. That sulfur smell is most likely cat related. The backfiring could be several things but it certainly isn't "normal". Could be a timing issue, a fuel/air mixture issue, a tuning issue, etc. Better have them check that out too.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Codes seem to be cat and o2 sensor related
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Agreed. That sulfur smell is most likely cat related. The backfiring could be several things but it certainly isn't "normal". Could be a timing issue, a fuel/air mixture issue, a tuning issue, etc. Better have them check that out too.
Wouldn't the backfiring make sense with P015d?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Black View Post
Wouldn't the backfiring make sense with P015d?
Sorry... I don't know the code translations. I was just commenting based on previous issues with backfiring.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Did you add extensions to your HFC's? These will help prevent any codes from popping. Might also want to check for exhaust leaks.

On the below pic, you'll note the extensions I purchased and installed for mine. You're going to get that smell with new cats on... not sure about the backfiring, though... this could be fuel/air mixture related. Definitely recommend a tune after installing HFC's, catback, headers etc.
Attached Images

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
BrutalSS

Drives: 2010 Hennessey Camaro
p015d is a 02 delayed response code
BrutalSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
you realize they can void your warranty with high flow cats right? also it's a federal law violation to replace stock cats that are working properly. and now you want the dealer to fix this problem?

And best, their response will likely be replace the OEM cats and see if that fixes your problems.

It's possible it's running lean with the high flow cats... causing it to overheat... burn up cats... and who knows what.

If you don't have any other mods, I think you just need to tune it... which will likely fix most of your problems.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
BrutalSS

Drives: 2010 Hennessey Camaro
I have a tune with my long tubes with hi flows and I have no code issues, the only issue I ever had was that I needed the tolerances for my 02 sensors changed as they were too tight and it kept throwing codes. I believe the code was that the 02 sensors were out of range.
BrutalSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
well if they void the warranty just gut those things and tune out the sensor, but who knows what they will do at the dealership, hope the dealer is mod friendly

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
you realize they can void your warranty with high flow cats right? also it's a federal law violation to replace stock cats that are working properly. and now you want the dealer to fix this problem?

And best, their response will likely be replace the OEM cats and see if that fixes your problems.

It's possible it's running lean with the high flow cats... causing it to overheat... burn up cats... and who knows what.

If you don't have any other mods, I think you just need to tune it... which will likely fix most of your problems.
False, high flow cats do not void your powertrain warranty. You can have a fully tuned out Camaro and still not have your warranty voided because the dealer has to prove your modifications caused your problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post

Especially a long dead cat. Yes, it will keep evil spirits and most people away, but boy does it smell bad.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
Reineke

Drives: 2010 SW Camaro 2SS RS 6M
Maybe your old neighbor is having the last laugh...
Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote