#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
?How to make DRs sticky again?

Maybe I've missed this in our Forum, but I thought I'd post this anyways. Maybe others were in the same boat as me, and I know I could've found that what follows useful. I have to credit KingLT1 for making me realize I should try to look into this. I didn't know this was a thing until he said something. I didn't know this was a thing.

THE TRUNCATED VERSION:
My DRs (MT ET Street SSs) don't hook on the street anymore. WTH? Are they "balled-up"? If so - perhaps a nice burnout will help. Water, nice concrete, and a big burn-out could help "clean" the tires off. It worked for me, and my tires hook now (maybe not 100%, but it's CONSIDERABLY better). It might be helpful to you.

Thread below, if you have the time, or care:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...4#post11134054

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:20 AM   #2
graf101
Trouble_SM

Drives: 17' Summit White ZL1
Wondering how many passes you had on them prior to them becoming that way? I always replace my ET Street R's when I feel they aren't sticky anymore, but the R's are a softer compound than the ET Street SS.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by graf101 View Post
Wondering how many passes you had on them prior to them becoming that way? I always replace my ET Street R's when I feel they aren't sticky anymore, but the R's are a softer compound than the ET Street SS.
I didn't get any passes on the strip. This was all street rips. They just get tore-up if they start spinning. I went on another drive with several hits in 4th gear, from maybe 60, and they hook just fine. I had another rip in 3rd, from about 60, and it was a little sketch, but okay. I have probably 300-miles (usually about 30-miles per drive at a time) on these tires - all street, and probably 4-6 rips per drive.

Would you say those Rs have sway, like these SSs?

I was suggested Nittos or RE888s for the street, like I'd spend most of my time. I might lose a little at the strip on those, but that's not what this car's sole purpose is.

Thanks for any input.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
graf101
Trouble_SM

Drives: 17' Summit White ZL1
Yes, these R’s definitely have sway on the highway. At the drag strip they’re the best drag radial for a 17” wheel.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:25 AM   #5
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I ran the Rs on my C7 and they did very well. I also had a set for drag racing. I ran a taller set on the street and stock size on the drag strip. Had good luck with both, obviously I didn't make as much hp as Radz but still enough to run 10.90s NA. The C7 is a few hundred pounds lighter then the Camaro so I rarely took the traction control off on the street as it wanted to swap ends pretty easily even in 3rd gear on certain pavements. We get cold here in Missouri so I always kept them in a heated shop so they don't harden up because of the cold. I never ran them in the winter either, back to the stock tires when it got cold.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I ran the Rs on my C7 and they did very well. I also had a set for drag racing. I ran a taller set on the street and stock size on the drag strip. Had good luck with both, obviously I didn't make as much hp as Radz but still enough to run 10.90s NA. The C7 is a few hundred pounds lighter then the Camaro so I rarely took the traction control off on the street as it wanted to swap ends pretty easily even in 3rd gear on certain pavements. We get cold here in Missouri so I always kept them in a heated shop so they don't harden up because of the cold. I never ran them in the winter either, back to the stock tires when it got cold.
FWIW - I didn't understand (until now) that once they started spinning, they'd get ripped-up, and they'd start spinner a little sooner the next time, and so-on-and-so-on. It got to the point to where there was hardly any more grip than the stock tires, and like you, they were always garaged and never out in temps cooler than the mid-50s. I'd always put several miles of driving on them, to try to heat them a bit, before making rips.

I've been out a couple more times since posting this thread, and they still hook well. I'm not trying anything from a dig, because even new, they didn't really hook. Most anything from a roll from 50-and-up (I haven't tried any less so they likely hook better at a lower speed, too), they hook like before.

My surprise at this phenomenon probably surprised no one else but me, but in case I wasn't the only one to have experienced, or knew this was a thing, might now learn this for themselves. I wasted a lot of tire tread spinning because I didn't know, so hopefully someone else can learn from my ignorance.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"