#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #43
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
First set lasted 4 days.....2nd set almost the rest of the year. Difference: bedding them properly. It is hard on you, the car, the police, the neighbors etc. but boy is it worth it.
haha nice!

i'm going to give the stocks a run and see how they do. I had a 1SS that I used and got brake fade at Sonoma then went to the carbotechs at Laguna and the car did great, no fade at 120mph going into the Andretti hairpin. I was impressed.

I still want to give this new setup a try first. especially with Al O's promise to fix anything caused by track driving, I want to keep it as close to showroom as possible. hopefully these don't fade too badly for me.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #44
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Brake pads are consumables, and doubt you'd get warranty coverage for them if thats what you were suggesting.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #45
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
My Raybestos ST43s performed phenomenal at the last track event. In fact this is these are the best brakes, I've ever owned!! I highly doubt it can get any better than this (maybe a bit better with R comps)

I really considered using the stock pads for the first event then I decided not to. Since the street pads can last a lot longer if not abused. Using a dedicated track pad (as well as track tires) is a great way to save on consumables, since excessive heat is very destructive on a car like this (3700 lbs, V8 power)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #46
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Brake pads are consumables, and doubt you'd get warranty coverage for them if thats what you were suggesting.
The "extra" warranty I got at the time of purchase covers the car for wear and tear maintenance items such as oil and fluid changes, bulbs, wiper blades, and yes, brake pads for up to 7 years or 96,000 miles. I had to ask him 3 times to make sure the pads were included.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #47
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
The "extra" warranty I got at the time of purchase covers the car for wear and tear maintenance items such as oil and fluid changes, bulbs, wiper blades, and yes, brake pads for up to 7 years or 96,000 miles. I had to ask him 3 times to make sure the pads were included.
Is that a GM warranty or from some 3rd party warranty company?
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #48
Gville1LE

Drives: 2006 Lexus IS350
Read great things about Carbotech and the various pads you can use to "tune" to your specific application. Question is, do they make them yet for the 1LE?
Gville1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #49
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville1LE View Post
Read great things about Carbotech and the various pads you can use to "tune" to your specific application. Question is, do they make them yet for the 1LE?
They'll just tell you to get the Corvette/ATS-V pads, ask me how I know
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #50
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Not sure why people (especially on the forums) praise these pads could that be one of those internet echos?

I used Carbotech XP12s on my BRZ, they did suck in any way I can think of ; I had fade issues, noisy, awful pad life, faded on a 2600 lbs car and not cheaper than the others.. All of my friends who track their cars or race tried them at some point and ended up going back to Raybestos or other race pads (PFC, Cobalt, Hawk DTC6-/70 ..etc) ..
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:05 AM   #51
hlyshft

Drives: 1LE VS Boss (It's a family feud)
Quote:
Why yes they do. Part numbers below directly from the president of Carbotech.

Front - CT1405-XP12 @ $ 370.00 (normal list for set)
Rear - CT1718-XP10 @ $ 206.00 (normal list for set)

I used to run the Carbotech XP12/XP10 setup on my 5th gen 1LE for track days and what an amazing setup. They proved their worth on my last track car so I decided to give them another go for the new '17 1LE. My first track event is scheduled for late April, so I will provide feedback on the XP12/XP10 setup for this car after the event.

I have always been impressed with Carbotech customer service, ease of ordering new pads, and their willingness to interface directly with the customer. On some of my past questions to them through email the president of the company took the time to dialogue with me about the right setup etc... very impressive.

Quote:
Not sure why people (especially on the forums) praise these pads could that be one of those internet echos?

I used Carbotech XP12s on my BRZ, they did suck in any way I can think of ; I had fade issues, noisy, awful pad life, faded on a 2600 lbs car and not cheaper than the others.. All of my friends who track their cars or race tried them at some point and ended up going back to Raybestos or other race pads (PFC, Cobalt, Hawk DTC6-/70 ..etc) ..
It's not an internet echo. They actually perform very well based on my personal experience and others I have met and talked with at some of the past track events. I think pad brands e.g. Carbotech XP12s vs Raybestos ST43s are best cross compared using the same vehicle for a true/fair comparison. Just because they didn't work for you on a BRZ doesn't mean they will perform exactly the same on the 1LE. Too many variables to consider, but I completely understand the personal experience viewpoint.

I personally have not had fade with the XP12/XP10 setup. I boiled the Motul RBF600 fluid that I was running on the second day out of a full two day track event session once. But that was my own fault for not flushing the RBF600 after the first day. I'll be going with Castrol SRF with this new 1LE to hopefully avoid the requirement to flush after each single event.

I'm not against trying a brand like Raybestos on the 1LE and would actually like to see/feel the difference. I've just had such great performance out of the Carbotechs that it's hard to discount previous experience.

I will report back on the above setup at the end of April.

Cheers
hlyshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #52
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Each to their own. I've been using Carbotech XP pads for years in my Honda race car and been very happy with them. The fact that none of the other major brake pad manufacturers (save Raybestos) would make them for my model any longer kind of forced my hand though. They have worked quite well for me, and the XP-12s are surprisingly easy on the rotors too IMHO.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #53
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post

My experience too. Used XP10/12 on my old Boxster S and thought they were terrible- loud, expensive, and wore CRAZY fast. Pagid, Hawk, PFC are my favs.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #54
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Has anyone actually proven that the stock pads aren't track worthy? I thought Ferodo's were decent pads. I have yet to need anything more from these pads. I'm curious if anyone has run these pads with SRF or equivalent fluid and had complaints.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #55
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Has anyone actually proven that the stock pads aren't track worthy? I thought Ferodo's were decent pads. I have yet to need anything more from these pads. I'm curious if anyone has run these pads with SRF or equivalent fluid and had complaints.
No compaints from me on stock pads and Motul 600 fluid. But, I haven't really been on any "high speed" tracks. I've only done braking from about 130 and 115-ish. No issues after I swapped the fluid.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #56
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
No compaints from me on stock pads and Motul 600 fluid. But, I haven't really been on any "high speed" tracks. I've only done braking from about 130 and 115-ish. No issues after I swapped the fluid.
Good to hear. I think much like these Goodyear Supercar 3's the stock Ferodo brake pads aren't the same mundane OEM pad we've all come to expect. Both the Tires and Brakes have exceeded my expectations and I won't be swapping to a new pad until I have had an issue with these. I think my only upgrade to the system will be SRF fluid.