Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Windshield crack

Man, I am so pissed right now. I remote started my Camaro this morning to go to work. It was all nice and toasty when I got in. I waited the extra few minutes for the oil temp to get where it need to go. The windshield defroster had done its job so I hit the windshield wipers and heard the loudest crack ever. I'm like going "WTF!!" So now I have this crack on the bottom of my windshield that runs from the passenger side almost to the drivers side. I wasn't moving, just waiting for the car to warm up. The temperature gauge was ranging between -1 and +1 degree Fahrenheit. So it was crazy cold.

Is this a warranty issue you think? I have the HUD, so that is gonna make the replacement more expensive.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I have never, in the 26 years I have been driving, had a windshield crack just because it was cold.

Sorry, just a little rant. I feel much better now.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Odds are not with you on a warranty claim. More like an insurance claim. Don't know about your state but in MO it's not covered cheaply unless you get a glass breakage rider. Without it then it's covered under your comp deductable. In my case with a $1k deductable I would have to eat it.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
someting similar happened to me in my Lancer before. It was snowing a lot so ater I came back I cleaned the windshield and remove more of the snow. there was a little snow left where the windshield wiper sit, so as I put them down. and this was slowly, one of then created a crack.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatS View Post
Man, I am so pissed right now. I remote started my Camaro this morning to go to work. It was all nice and toasty when I got in. I waited the extra few minutes for the oil temp to get where it need to go. The windshield defroster had done its job so I hit the windshield wipers and heard the loudest crack ever. I'm like going "WTF!!" So now I have this crack on the bottom of my windshield that runs from the passenger side almost to the drivers side. I wasn't moving, just waiting for the car to warm up. The temperature gauge was ranging between -1 and +1 degree Fahrenheit. So it was crazy cold.

Is this a warranty issue you think? I have the HUD, so that is gonna make the replacement more expensive.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. I have never, in the 26 years I have been driving, had a windshield crack just because it was cold.

Sorry, just a little rant. I feel much better now.
Believe me,i feel your pain.This happened a couple months ago,and pissed is an understatement.This was a rock,but a broken wind shield is a broken wind shield. Get ready for this,it is an $800.00 wind shield.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
My insurance said it's a lot more than $800 for factory glass..
I have a nice crack from a rock that goes about 3/4 across the windshield. Luckily I only have to pay a $100 deductible..
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatS View Post
The temperature gauge was ranging between -1 and +1 degree Fahrenheit. So it was crazy cold.

Is this a warranty issue you think?

I have had that happen, but not on the Camaro.
It is highly unlikely it is a warranty issue, but worth asking your dealer.

The conditions that mine cracked are the same as you describe.
Very cold out, and car sitting idling warming up with defroster on high and temp set to max warmth.

Under those conditions, you do run the risk of cracking a very cold piece of glass.

After my incident, I make sure the temp slider is not set to full heat.
That air coming out of the defroster vent gets really hot.
Hot air and extremely cold glass = possibility of cracking
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Trekkie

Drives: Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via ICQ to Trekkie Send a message via AIM to Trekkie Send a message via MSN to Trekkie Send a message via Yahoo to Trekkie
I had a back window shatter on the way to work when it was below zero. Thought someone shot my POS sunbird at first
Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
I think it's called ,,,heat shock ,,,or something within those lines

Sometimes it happen when one takes glassware from the dishwasher while they are hot , and just pour something really cold in the glass , them BOOM.
It tends to cut right along the line where the liquid touched at first
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
So I got my windshield fixed through the aftermarket insurance car dealerships offer on used cars. I called them up, they took my information, referred me to a local glass place (Abra Glass), set up an appointment and I got it fixed. Didn't cost me anything.
I am quite pleased with the whole experience.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Blue-J

Drives: 2013 2LT HWSE
I have USAA with a glass coverage that I thought was very inexpensive. Have replaced 2 windshields over the years with no deductible. As my Camaro is hibernating it doesn't need to worry about any current problems until spring!
Blue-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Shortbus

Drives: 88 IROC Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-J View Post
I have USAA with a glass coverage that I thought was very inexpensive. Have replaced 2 windshields over the years with no deductible. As my Camaro is hibernating it doesn't need to worry about any current problems until spring!
In Mass. glass is covered with no deductible. The highway I take to work everyday is horrible for rocks flying up and hitting your windshield. I wind up getting a new one every year. Good thing is it's like having a new car when it's replaced because it's so clear.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
Inferno LT

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
In Mass. glass is covered with no deductible. The highway I take to work everyday is horrible for rocks flying up and hitting your windshield. I wind up getting a new one every year. Good thing is it's like having a new car when it's replaced because it's so clear.
I don't believe it has anything to do with what state you live in. It all depends on your insurance company, policy particulars, and deductibles.
Inferno LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno LT View Post
I don't believe it has anything to do with what state you live in. It all depends on your insurance company, policy particulars, and deductibles.
In fact, it does depend on the state.

In some states, nondeductible glass is simply not available. In Mass, it's a required feature of collision insurance.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
1BadAssSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I just paid a little over $500 for a windshield. My HUD works fine with it.
1BadAssSS is offline   Reply With Quote