Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-29-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Weird HHP T93 TCM Conversion Issues

09.02.2022 - UPDATE:

Bottom line to the issue - I'm a dee-dee-dee. I wasn't scanning the correct CHANNEL. All is good now.

Good day everyone,

I purchased a T93 conversion a little less than a year ago, and had no issues until a 4-5 months ago. However - since then, I'm starting to get weird codes, instead of values (e.g. gear numbers, like I should) from the SCANNER PID.

Before this issue started happening, while driving the car, the SCANNER would report all 10-gears, as expected. When the issue started showing up - 1st-8th show up fine, but 9th and 10th display several variations of similar code. The SCANNER CHANNEL literally says "unknown: 6A 0A 00 04 00 00 09 00", instead of either 9th or 10th gears. There are several variations of that very code, but this has been something I've noticed, again, for the last several months. I disabled the codes, as directed, by HHP, but nothing seems to correct this.

I don't know if this matters, but I stopped using the Public Beta for flashing around March, because of losing the Exhaust tab in the Editor. So - I've only been flashing with the last non-Beta stable version since that time. It was all working fine, and then this started happening. The car's been running fine, and doesn't seem to protest or anything. It bugs me that the SCANNER is showing this though.

Has anyone else noticed this, or have an idea on how to correct it?

Thank you for your time,
Chuck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:53 PM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Have you tried the latest beta by chance to see if the same issue persists?
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
You mean t87 right not 93?
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:26 PM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Yes it's a T93 to T87a conversion.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Have you tried the latest beta by chance to see if the same issue persists?
That occurred to me, but I couldn't see why it would change all of a sudden. I'll try anyways. I didn't do this before, though, because the Betas, since about March, are missing the EXHAUST tab, so I can't control cat' temp settings, which I like because of START UP RUMBLE. Maybe I'll just flash the TCM with the BETA...

I'm hoping for some ideas from HPTuners, too.

I also left Enders a message to call me back. I have to say I don't like his customer service, as he hasn't been very responsive in the past, after I paid for his product...

Thanks everyone for any input and thoughts.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-30-2022, 12:27 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Somethings I just noticed, and remembered from the past that might have impacted this:
  • I know it sounds dumb, but I've never claimed to be anything close to an expert or at a calibrator level, but I just noticed there's an actual "T87A" Controller in the Channel List in the SCANNER. I don't know if I noticed this before, but I've added the TRANS CURRENT GEAR PID to my Channel List. I've also added the EXHAUST VALVE TRANSMISSION CURRENT GEAR PID back to my Channel List. I used to use this for tranny gear, but changed it some time ago.
  • I feel like many months ago (maybe even around when I started noticing the weird Channel Values for this, that I might have changed the SCANNER Channel PID, and instead of reading the T87A, I changed it to T93, and that's why there's the weird value. I haven't tried this yet, but I added these channels back to my PIDs. I, typically, run as many PID channels as the SCANNER/my laptop will allow, and when I add too many, my MAT channel starts defaulting to 76*, and doesn't change until I start removing channel PIDs. This is why I may have started experiencing these problems, and because there was a lapse of time when I wasn't tuning, I forgot about this stuff...

Well - I guess I'll find out on my next drive. I'll report back in case anyone else does this.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-30-2022, 01:43 AM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Somethings I just noticed, and remembered from the past that might have impacted this:
  • I know it sounds dumb, but I've never claimed to be anything close to an expert or at a calibrator level, but I just noticed there's an actual "T87A" Controller in the Channel List in the SCANNER. I don't know if I noticed this before, but I've added the TRANS CURRENT GEAR PID to my Channel List. I've also added the EXHAUST VALVE TRANSMISSION CURRENT GEAR PID back to my Channel List. I used to use this for tranny gear, but changed it some time ago.
  • I feel like many months ago (maybe even around when I started noticing the weird Channel Values for this, that I might have changed the SCANNER Channel PID, and instead of reading the T87A, I changed it to T93, and that's why there's the weird value. I haven't tried this yet, but I added these channels back to my PIDs. I, typically, run as many PID channels as the SCANNER/my laptop will allow, and when I add too many, my MAT channel starts defaulting to 76*, and doesn't change until I start removing channel PIDs. This is why I may have started experiencing these problems, and because there was a lapse of time when I wasn't tuning, I forgot about this stuff...

Well - I guess I'll find out on my next drive. I'll report back in case anyone else does this.
Too many channels being logged results in a crappy refresh rate according to Mike Sitar (toohighpsi/Magnuson guru) and I obviously believe him. He had me strip a bunch of stuff out of my scanner list as well in order to improve the quality of the data I got on the channels that were critical.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Too many channels being logged results in a crappy refresh rate according to Mike Sitar (toohighpsi/Magnuson guru) and I obviously believe him. He had me strip a bunch of stuff out of my scanner list as well in order to improve the quality of the data I got on the channels that were critical.
Yeah. I like to log as much data as possible, so I can see as much as possible everytime I scan. I'll admit that a lot is not necessary, but I just like seeing it. BUT - like you said - I start losing quality, so what's the use of a lot of low-quality information?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Yeah. I like to log as much data as possible, so I can see as much as possible everytime I scan. I'll admit that a lot is not necessary, but I just like seeing it. BUT - like you said - I start losing quality, so what's the use of a lot of low-quality information?...
You could buy the new MPVI3. It has more on board memory and a faster bus I believe. The hardware would be better and might let you log more at the same time without data loss or corruption.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
You could buy the new MPVI3. It has more on board memory and a faster bus I believe. The hardware would be better and might let you log more at the same time without data loss or corruption.
I have the 2+, but was thinking about upgrading. My laptop is like 10-years old, almost, though... so yeah... Your point is definitely taken though. I just hate to destroy my new laptop - beating it up on drives. My current, tuning, laptop's screen hinges cracked open because of the constant vibrations from driving, so I'm reluctant to do it to another, new laptop.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

09.02.2022 - UPDATE:

Bottom line to the issue - I'm a dee-dee-dee. I wasn't scanning the correct CHANNEL. All is good now.

FWIW - maybe someone could learn from my mistake, so I'll add that I think what happened was I just got a little lost and didn't really take into consideration what I was doing in a way. For the longest time, for some reason, my search for transmission gear position in the SCANNER didn't yield terms I was looking for. To be clear: that's not to say that anyone else's terms make less sense than mine. It's like Google - if you don't use good terms when you search, you'll just be limited in your return response. So - what I got out my initial searches culminated in me just using the exhaust transmission gear PID to display my current gear (for the last couple years). Don't ask why I didn't see the TCM PID for this - I don't know why (dee-dee-dee)... Then, several months ago, I found the TCM PID, and started using that. Because I will sometimes start completely over on a tune just to make sure the 3rd order polynomials don't get crazy on VVE/VTT and whatever, I think I forgot what PID I was using in the SCANNER, and selected the wrong one. I didn't notice for a while, but when I did, by that time, I already forgotten about the correct PID and all that, and started worrying, which brought me to where I am now.

Lesson, learned, again. Just take more time in determining what PIDs you're looking for. Understand the controllers you're actually trying to get data from. Understand how to access those controllers. Scale back the amount of PIDs that are unnecessary.

I hope this might help someone else.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-02-2022, 03:24 PM   #12
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
09.02.2022 - UPDATE:

FWIW - maybe someone could learn from my mistake, so I'll add that I think what happened was I just got a little lost and didn't really take into consideration what I was doing in a way. For the longest time, for some reason, my search for transmission gear position in the SCANNER didn't yield terms I was looking for. To be clear: that's not to say that anyone else's terms make less sense than mine. It's like Google - if you don't use good terms when you search, you'll just be limited in your return response. So - what I got out my initial searches culminated in me just using the exhaust transmission gear PID to display my current gear (for the last couple years). Don't ask why I didn't see the TCM PID for this - I don't know why (dee-dee-dee)... Then, several months ago, I found the TCM PID, and started using that. Because I will sometimes start completely over on a tune just to make sure the 3rd order polynomials don't get crazy on VVE/VTT and whatever, I think I forgot what PID I was using in the SCANNER, and selected the wrong one. I didn't notice for a while, but when I did, by that time, I already forgotten about the correct PID and all that, and started worrying, which brought me to where I am now.

Lesson, learned, again. Just take more time in determining what PIDs you're looking for. Understand the controllers you're actually trying to get data from. Understand how to access those controllers. Scale back the amount of PIDs that are unnecessary.

I hope this might help someone else.
This is a good sanity check for everyone logging. It’s not hard to get wrapped up in what I call “tunnel vision”. I mean I’ve been focused on special areas of a log and/or tune and didn’t realize I headed down a rabbit hole. Lol

Quote:
“Because I will sometimes start completely over on a tune just to make sure the 3rd order polynomials don't get crazy on VVE/VTT and whatever”
I can tell you this has happened a few times to me as well.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:52 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
This is a good sanity check for everyone logging. It’s not hard to get wrapped up in what I call “tunnel vision”. I mean I’ve been focused on special areas of a log and/or tune and didn’t realize I headed down a rabbit hole. Lol

I can tell you this has happened a few times to me as well.
You and me both and I completely agree. I'm not tuner so I don't do this everyday, and sometimes go weeks without looking at anything, so I have to almost piece back where I left off. Ugh - theses self-imposes set-backs can be a PITA though. At least this was just a little poopoo.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"