Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Mike90

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2.0T
2.0T Intake

Hey guys, first time posting and I hope I am doing this correctly.

I just recently bought a brand new 2018 2.0t in blue. I am looking to get an air intake for the upcoming summer. I have done lots of research on all the available intakes and I have narrowed my choices down to the ZZP CAI and the Mishimoto CAI. I am not planning to tune for a while (a year at least) so I would be running the intake without a tune. I am not looking for a huge power increase, just looking to increase the sound of the turbo spool and recirculation valve.

I have found a few videos on Youtube/Instagram showing the sound of the ZZP intake, but I have not been able to find any on the Mishimoto intake (except for the one on the dyno posted by Mishimoto). I am looking to get a good amount of sound, but most importantly I don't want to run into any issues. Looking for just simple plug and play. I have heard ZZP's intake has had some problems in the past, and also that it doesn't seal well in the engine bay, making it a hot air intake. Information like this makes me want to go the Mishimoto route, but I haven't found any reviews or videos on the Mishimoto intake.

My question for you guys is what intake is better overall?

Is the Mishimoto as loud as the ZZP intake?

Is anyone running these on 2018's and if so have you had any issues?

Thanks to everyone who replies!
Mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
My simple remark is you won't find many mishi intakes...it's either injen or ZZP
Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
afe power or zzp would be my choice! i have afe power on my 16 ss and love it but have used zzp in the past on my cobalt ss
Old 02-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
irobles3680

Drives: 2017 2.0 Camaro LT
I’m selling my mishimoto one, threw a code for me untuned, don’t plan on tunning till out of warranty. Sounds really nice but code thrown was car running to lean
irobles3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
A CAI is useless on these cars. Stock airbox with an intake tube and a K&N style filter is really the way to go

If you want to hear turbo noises you need the JacFab Recirculation Valve paired with a CAI. However, it will throw a code. You need some sort of software like HPTuners to turn it off permanently.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
spend your $ on a downpipe instead if you want some more power without a tune

331 rwhp , 350 rwtq

ZZP Intercooler | ZZP Catted DP | Magnaflow Catback | Injen CAI | Tuned (BBR) | CNC Honed Turbo (TPC) w 14lb actuator
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adp2017 View Post
spend your $ on a downpipe instead if you want some more power without a tune
He said in his post he is wanting the hear the sound of the turbo and recirculation valve which is why he wants an open element filter.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Depends on how loud you want it to be. The Injen Open-Box will likely be the loudest the ZZP probably a distant second. I'd say make a choice but for the best total fit pair the CAI with the JacFab Boost-o-lator for the best sound and some performance. Although you will need a tune for the Boost-o-lator.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Depends on how loud you want it to be. The Injen Open-Box will likely be the loudest the ZZP probably a distant second. I'd say make a choice but for the best total fit pair the CAI with the JacFab Boost-o-lator for the best sound and some performance. Although you will need a tune for the Boost-o-lator.
You don't "need" to tune for the boost-o-lator. If you do not mind a CEL every few weeks. Could just disconnect the battery to reset it.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_504 View Post
You don't "need" to tune for the boost-o-lator. If you do not mind a CEL every few weeks. Could just disconnect the battery to reset it.
Seems like a lot of hassle plus dealing with that every few weeks in northern climates isn't any fun. You know remote starter in the winter and all.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
irobles3680

Drives: 2017 2.0 Camaro LT
I just bought a obd2 scan tool and clear it out, with colder weather I haven’t really been driving it hard. From what I noticed the cel don’t trigger unless you on high rpms a lot. Haven’t had cel since like December
irobles3680 is offline   Reply With Quote