Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #15
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Well, sir, that really blows. The P Zero's were a terrible stock tire, and runflats...will be even worse. Even more expensive, even less of a performer in dry conditions and terrible in everything else. GM needs to learn to make these summer tires an OPTION so they can still play magazine numbers games while still delivering a usable product to the public.

I can't tell you how much better this car performs with comparatively "el cheapo" GMax's on them vs the stock P Zero's. These GMax's are the best tires I've ever owned.

Owned three cars (Cobalt SS/SC, Camaro SS & Mustang GT) with OE Pirelli P Zero tires. Can't say the GMax tires I put on my Cavalier left me thinking they were the better tire.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I hope runflats are better than they were on the C5 Z06 I owned. Rode horribly and LOUD!!!

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:14 AM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
RFTs is a terrible idea. GM did it just so they could shave off a few more pounds/production $$$. I've ridden in a couple of cars that had low-profile run flats (don't know if they were Goodyears though) and the ride was horrible. Not to mention those Goodyear F1 ROFs will cost about $400 per tire!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #18
EE7

Drives: New
Would it be possible to put a set of Michelin pilot ss on here?
EE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #19
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Is this a good or bad thing?
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #20
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
Not sure how the new RFT's will be, but my Goodyears gave up after about 10k miles on my GS, replaced w/ Michelin Pilot Sport non RFT's...muuuuch better. Will be replacing the RFT's soon after purchase.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #21
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Owned three cars (Cobalt SS/SC, Camaro SS & Mustang GT) with OE Pirelli P Zero tires. Can't say the GMax tires I put on my Cavalier left me thinking they were the better tire.
Which GMax model were they? The AS03's are excellent on the Camaro.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #22
PalmerGA

Regarding weight savings by using the run-flats, thus no spare/jack/inflator kit... I call BS. Run flat tires are significantly heavier that standard tires. I guess that's why they also went to aluminum rims. I'm not liking this!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
My G8 came with a can of fix a flat and no spare.

I assume you can just buy a spare jack/tire kit and there is room in the trunk.

Michelin Pilot SS would be my choice of tire, they're also extremely light too.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #24
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
So we just replace them with non run flat tires and save more weight! LOL
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #25
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
So we just replace them with non run flat tires and save more weight! LOL
That would be the case. See this article for run flat down sides:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-buy-them.html

From the article:

Sheri Hermann, Communication Coordinator from Continental Tire tells us “run flat tires provide convenience to a consumer, but conventional tires are typically lower in cost and have better ride qualities.”

Another top complaint is in regards to price. On average, run flat tires are about one third more expensive than regular tires.
That’s not the only complaint though. While the reduced weight of carrying around a spare might seem like an advantage, run flat tires also have an impact on your fuel economy. Thanks to the tires being heavier and thicker they can reduce fuel economy by 1-2%. Also, due to the stiffer and heavier design, the run flat doesn’t quite perform like its price would indicate. They can often be harsh on the road and don’t provide a lot of grip in low temperatures.

Lastly, when you do get a puncture, or lose tire pressure, it’s not quite as easy to get them repaired. While some run flat tires can be repaired, they need to spend some time off the rim, and need to be inspected to ensure they can be fixed. If they can’t, it’s time to buy new tires. Conversely, most punctures on a conventional tire can be fixed with a simple repair kit that costs just a few dollars.

Even with tougher rubber, run flat tires do wear out quicker than regular tires. Many owners on the AutoGuide Forum Network complained that they were replacing their OEM run-flat tires within 20,000 miles. This prompted a lawsuit, which was settled by BMW and Bridgestone. Members of the settlement will receive a full refund for the purchase of replacement tires if they were needed before 10,000 miles. If replacement occurred between 10,000 miles up through 30,000 miles, reimbursement will be 50 percent or less. If buyers are experiencing wear at around 20,000 miles, that’s less than half the life of an ordinary tire.
Customers though, haven’t responded well to these types of tires. Honda has stopped offering the tires on its vehicles after settling a class action lawsuit last year. The owners of Acura’s RL, and Honda Odysseys claimed unreasonable tire life and unexpectedly high replacement costs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Prepare for a huge class-action lawsuit, GM.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #26
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I will like to see a 285" squared set up, like the 1LE but with same wheels to be able to rotate them.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #27
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I will like to see a 285" squared set up, like the 1LE but with same wheels to be able to rotate them.
Let's hope that will happen...