LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #72
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Sure. I will add another 2 cents.

Make a car that a ZL1 is not. Nav? Back seat? Dual Zone climate controls? Ambient lightning?

Gone. Gone. Gone. Gone.

Strip it down. Throw out the rear seats. Actual race seats...comfortable but only 20lbs each not 50lbs+.
Basic radio and climate controls.
Maybe some light weight panels.
Stronger 6.2L or 7.0L...whatever. Just more!
Revised gear box.

There. Lighter weight. Potentially 100's of LBs lighter. Kick ass HP and Torque. 550/550 with the right gearing.
Bam. Track monster.

I totally agree.

When I ordered my ZL1 1LE I tried to do exactly that.

Fleet Delete for onStar is a common occurrence with Government and Police vehicle sales.

I attempted to use the same common GM Fleet Option Delete. I requested that the OnStar and Mesh Network equipment be Fleet deleted but the Dealer couldn't accomplish the delete in the current GM Ordering system in the ZL1 packages.

Why do I need a Mesh Network and OnStar Cell System when the car's going to be on the Track 99% of the time? Its silliness.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #73
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Those were the days... these are a couple of pics I have the my GNX, build number 281 of the 547.

I sure miss that one.
That picture sure takes me back, what a beautiful car. Did you end up selling it?

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #74
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone580 View Post
That picture sure takes me back, what a beautiful car. Did you end up selling it?
Yes I sold it eventually but I enjoyed it for a while. Of course now, they're worth a whole lot more than I got for mine back then.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #75
MadMotorMagazine
MCFLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
6th Gen Z/28

I'm making my own version from a 2017 SS 1LE. So far, the car has done well, and is qualified to run at OUSCI. For those who aren't familiar, that's OPTIMA's USCA race right after SEMA for those who qualified at a race during the season, or at season's end, accumulate enough points. We affectionately call the yellow car "MCFLY" and it's really been a special car for us at Langley Motorsports. Our driver, Chad Langley (pictured), won the 2017 SCCA Texas CAM Challenge in CAM-C, which was his first time behind the wheel of MCFLY. When we did a head to head comparison between our ZL1 and SS 1LE, the ZL1 fell short by 1.5 seconds on a .9 mile long autocross. Chad had several competitions under his belt in the ZL1, when he obliterated his best time on the very first lap, and it just got better from there. We're at about 6.5 lbs/hp right now, and plan on having that to 5.8 by the time OUSCI rolls around. That would give us a better power to weight ratio than the new ZL1 1LE. It's definitely a race car, with most of the street amenities to allow comfortable cruising for those 50 to 80 mile USCA Road Rally trips.

My personal idea of a Z/28 is lightweight, normally aspirated bad-boy, better than a ZL1 1LE. Keep cost down, give it a dry-sump flex fuel 6.2, with CNC ported heads, track cam, light weight exhaust, and better aero on the front end since it doesn't need huge opening to cool a supercharger. Put the same spec rims, different design on it, specially formulated 200 wear tires to meet SCCA and USCA rules. Use same shocks and brakes, CF brakes are nice, but make it a blue collar beast that a working man can afford to maintain, so keep the same brakes as 1LE. Give it a eLSD controller module that has variable settings for tour, sport, and track. Sport for autocross, and track for road race. Give it a max weight of 3600 lbs. Should make 550 horsepower with a higher redline that LT1 or LT4. Give it a lightweight flywheel, clutch, pressure plate with street manners like the Centerforce setup. Aluminum driveshaft too. All that adds up to a fast accelerating Camaro with handling abilities far exceeding ZL1 1LE with much less weight on the nose. That's my thinking on subject, drawing experience from taking a new SS 1LE, modifying it, running at 5 USCA races, SCCA CAM Challenge, and SCCA Nationals. I don't want a Z/28 to be more expensive, I want it to be more capable with lighter weight.Name:  IMG_2653.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  232.7 KB

Name:  6F834CFD-6AD5-4D6B-9220-4307FE9812E6.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  120.0 KB
MadMotorMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote