Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-29-2024, 01:29 PM   #1
CMAR

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
Exhaust smoke / burning oil

Good morning all.

Looking for some much needed help.

Problem: exhaust smoke.

I have a 2019 camaro ltg. No tunes, only bolt ons. About 2 months back I started noticing smoke out the tail pipe while driving. I noticed it only happens when in gear and when letting off the gas. Prior to the smoke I had another issue with a squealing noise from under the hood. I soon found out it was coming from the built up oil pressure. When I removed the oil fill cap, the noise instantly stopped. I monitored oil pressures and everything seemed as it should. I did some research and decided to add a vent cap. However this caused excessive spray under the hood. I then added an additional catch can that was vented. This helped tremendously with not having the MAF covered with oil, and it also stopped the built up pressure. No smoke. After a month I decided to just run two regular catch cans (no breather) and instantly I began blowing smoke out the tail pipe. The contents in the catch can was milky. But it was heavily diluted with gas. I decided to return to using the catch can with the Breather, and I am still getting an abundance of white smoke from the tail pipe. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, criticism, etc. I just ran blue devil, it seems to have helped a bit. But it's like I'm driving a lawnmower with a f^up carb. Below are the modifications I made.

Injen CAI
Zzp high flow catted downpipe
Zzp larger throttle body
American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust
Two catch cans

Current DTC's
P0420 permanent
P0171 comes and goes
P0131 comes and goes
Attached Images

CMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:06 PM   #2
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Turbo, Valve seals, or piston rings.

If you have a lot of blow by in the crankcase, do a compression test. Most probably the rings are shot or you have a piston/ring broken.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:50 PM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Hey you asked (criticism) I honestly don’t understand the mods… they’re ugly (wing and louvers) and mechanically unnecessary (catch can down pipe etc.) I have no idea how many miles you have, but I’d put the mechanical stuff back to stock and visit a dealer if you haven’t tuned it.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:37 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I’d put the mechanical stuff back to stock and visit a dealer if you haven’t tuned it.
I said the same is this duplicate thread:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625227
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #5
CMAR

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I said the same is this duplicate thread:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625227
Thanks all for all the help. Turns out so far the catch can setup was causing the smoke. I reverted back to the stock tubing and removed the "2" cans. so far so good.

I appreciate all the help and criticism.
CMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:15 PM   #6
SS_AL

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS l4 turbo
LTG Piston/Ring History

I had the same problem with my stock internals, I was pushing 500hp at the crank (check my other posts for an HP Tuners log), I basically had the same setup you had, I gradually started losing power, started to smoke, so I did a pressure test and a borescope, Piston #1 looked "off" on the one side, the cylinder pressures were all over the place, Blowby got to the point to where the oil cap was jumping all over the place if I just set it over the filler hole, and losing about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, so I said Oh shit! there's something not right, I parked it immediately, It took me about 3 months, to pull, disassemble, replace with forged pistons and rods, and put everything back together, Long story short, (I know it's too late now), but if you push your motor, it's going to push back, just catch the problem before you score your cylinder walls, I lucked out, another week of driving with the motor like it was, I would be replacing the block. since the rebuild, I've driven 5,000 miles and have 0 oil in my catch can. Good luck bruh, these are 3 different pistons, the 4th was the same. Good luck bruh, I hope it nothing, But this will probably be your future.
Attached Images

SS_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:35 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_AL View Post
Good luck bruh, I hope it nothing, But this will probably be your future.
Thanks for sharing those photos, which are quite disturbing.
Let's hope our OP got this all fixed up before that kind of trouble started brewing!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, help me, oil, smoke