Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Jfmoore79

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS A8
Rubber vs Silicone Elbow

When installing the P1X Stage II kit on my car I ended up trimming a small amount of the 3” 90 degree rubber elbow that connects the hard charge pipe to the lower inlet on the intercooler. I did this because I didnt like how the rubber elbow fit against the small radiator below the driver side headlight. I have developed some high fuel trims after the last full throttle pull and it was recommended to check for any vacuum/boost leaks in the system. I have pulled all the piping apart and aside from the trimmed elbow everything looks good. I also cleaned the MAF just in case and may replace it if the trims are still high. My question is to the pros and cons of using a silicone elbow in place of the rubber one. I can order 3” silicone elbows from several places but finding a short rubber 90 is tough. I contacted Procharger about a replacement but have yet to get a response. What are y’alls thoughts?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
trimming your elbow coupler for clearance is no big deal in my opinion. i've had to do this numerous times on builds. you would think as long as the t-bolt clamps are tight & the couplers are pushed well past the beads; you shouldn't have any leaks.

have you pressurized the inlet system from the procharger outlet all the way to the throttle body to confirm there are no audible leaks?

perhaps you can upload a datalog to overview and help towards diagnosis
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Jfmoore79

What’s the best way to pressurize the system? I have seen some expensive kits but I hate dropping the cash for what could be a one time test. The solid piping coming down from the head unit to the bottom of the innercooler makes a slight twist where it connect to the rubber elbow. The way I trimmed it left something to be desired. That may not be the problem but I wanted to address the easy stuff first. Ted at JRE is my tuner and he has looked at the logs and made some suggestions to check.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmoore79 View Post
What’s the best way to pressurize the system? I have seen some expensive kits but I hate dropping the cash for what could be a one time test. The solid piping coming down from the head unit to the bottom of the innercooler makes a slight twist where it connect to the rubber elbow. The way I trimmed it left something to be desired. That may not be the problem but I wanted to address the easy stuff first. Ted at JRE is my tuner and he has looked at the logs and made some suggestions to check.
I know this wont' help you right now but maybe good to have down the road. I built a little PVC contraption that I can clamp onto the inlet side of the Procharger and inflate some air in there to pressure check for leaks. You can make these yourself or buy some pre-made ones off ebay such as this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-TURBO-BOO...MAAOSw9g1cPSx1
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I made one of those myselves years ago with my first turbo car, is so useful. I just went to local hardware store and bought a coupler, pcv pipe cap, and a valve stem. Have slightly modified over the years for different pipe sizes, but all easily changable with different couplers. Maybe 5-10 bucks in parts
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Jfmoore79

I had seen those devices but wasnt sure how well they worked. Thanks for sharing that they are helpful. I think Ill pick one up.