Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 PM   #99
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
So how does that work without the NAV? I have NAV in my current car, but the Chevy system is different. I tried messing with the one yesterday, but couldn't figure it out and the salesman didn't go over anything. He just tossed me the keys and said take it for a spin. Can you get on Google, ect. if you don't have a cell phone?
Well, if you have neither NAV nor a cell phone with a data plan, I think you are almost SOL, the only option I can think of is the turn-by-turn navigation service that OnStar provides for non-NAV cars. Again, I have the factory navigation and am completely happy with it at the moment, so I didn't explore other avenues much.

Actually, you might be able to install another navigation app on the infotainment system (I've never tried that), but even then you'll need to buy an OnStar data subscription to feed it, which will probably be the worst deal of the century.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #100
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Hey guys, looks like its been about 9 years since I've been on here and I've researched the new Camaro and never seriously considered it due to the somewhat weird styling and reports of limited visibility. My dad was a big Pontiac guy and had several GTO's back in the day and my first car was a 73 Grand Prix. It was a boat, but I loved the torque of that big 400. My most recent cars were a couple Genesis Coupes and then a couple Mustang GT's. My current car is a 16 premium guard auto. There is nothing really wrong with it and it has good pull when you get on it, just looking for something different with some more torque off the line. I did get the 0% interest for 72 so I know it probably isn't smart to get rid of it.

Anyway, I've been looking at the new Challenger Scat Packs for the last few months and really like the look and the upgrades of the 19 and was intending to either order one or wait for better rebates this summer. The drive-train is getting a little dated. Now the new 1320 looks very appealing, but I want to stay right around 40k if not less and that looks doubtful at the moment. So just for the heck of it stopped by the Chevy dealer down the street and the new Camaro does look much better in person and have to admit the 19's are really growing on me. But for a 2SS, they are only discounting about 2k right now. They do have a nice looking 18 in garnet (always wanted a dark red) for right around 40k, although I've seen a few a couple grand less on the net. I know it would only be slightly faster than my current car, but to get something really quick (say under 4.0 to 60 or so) stock I know I'd have to go with either the 19 Camaro, Mustang or 1320. One thing I find weird with the Camaro is they don't offer all-season tires and since I don't have a winter car that is a concern for me. So what do you guys think? I know most of you will recommend the Camaro on here and know I need to actually drive both a Scat and SS to decide, but just looking for input from those that actually have owned one.
Well I took the bait and traded my 2018 1SS in for a 2019 R/T scat pack 1320 on Friday ..Ended up at 42,388 out the door ..Saved on Taxes because of the trade ..I got one with the rear seat delete ( I don't need a rear seat ) But it does have a nice cargo net for my helmet and jacket ..I know 42k is a bit more than you want to spend but if you like fast cars with all the goodies it is one hell of a car ! Trans brake , line lock , drag shocks off the Demon, HD axles off the demon (41 spline ) , brembro brakes with slotted rotors , Nav , blue tooth , Drag aps and much much more .. You guys can say what ever you want but this 1320 is much faster than my stock 1SS, hands down faster ..And my 2015 Mustang was a slug compared to the 1320 ..Dodge put together a really good package in the 1320 ..I can't tell how damn hard this car pulls , stupid power NA in a very nice riding and driving car .. In drag mode the trans shifts so hard at part throttle it barks the tires in first , second and third gears ..My first dig run on the street was just amazing ..You would think you were in a much lighter car the way it pulls ..Dodge said the 1320 weighed 4200 pounds but you sure don't feel it .. On that pull I had a friend with me that weighed 260 pounds , he asked " why does the front end jump so high when you nailed it " I had to tell him about the demon drag shocks that transfer weight to the rear wheels when you have it in drag mode ..I had taken him for a ride in my 2018 SS and with his 260 pound body the SS felt so slow I was kind of embarrassed ..Not so with the 1320 , I was very happy and he was shocked how hard it pulled ..I'm not telling you to buy one but at the least go test drive one before you buy anything ..
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #101
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinzx14r View Post
Well I took the bait and traded my 2018 1SS in for a 2019 R/T scat pack 1320 on Friday ..Ended up at 42,388 out the door ..Saved on Taxes because of the trade ..I got one with the rear seat delete ( I don't need a rear seat ) But it does have a nice cargo net for my helmet and jacket ..I know 42k is a bit more than you want to spend but if you like fast cars with all the goodies it is one hell of a car ! Trans brake , line lock , drag shocks off the Demon, HD axles off the demon (41 spline ) , brembro brakes with slotted rotors , Nav , blue tooth , Drag aps and much much more .. You guys can say what ever you want but this 1320 is much faster than my stock 1SS, hands down faster ..And my 2015 Mustang was a slug compared to the 1320 ..Dodge put together a really good package in the 1320 ..I can't tell how damn hard this car pulls , stupid power NA in a very nice riding and driving car .. In drag mode the trans shifts so hard at part throttle it barks the tires in first , second and third gears ..My first dig run on the street was just amazing ..You would think you were in a much lighter car the way it pulls ..Dodge said the 1320 weighed 4200 pounds but you sure don't feel it .. On that pull I had a friend with me that weighed 260 pounds , he asked " why does the front end jump so high when you nailed it " I had to tell him about the demon drag shocks that transfer weight to the rear wheels when you have it in drag mode ..I had taken him for a ride in my 2018 SS and with his 260 pound body the SS felt so slow I was kind of embarrassed ..Not so with the 1320 , I was very happy and he was shocked how hard it pulled ..I'm not telling you to buy one but at the least go test drive one before you buy anything ..
I would expect the 1320 to be very torquey....as they took some good Hellcat/Demon toys and slapped them on... It should feel faster...but it's really not that much faster.. many the SS that's around 11.9 or so...

But, it will certainly fit the bill for N/A speed and quick street light launches

What color did you get?
Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #102
smokinzx14r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I would expect the 1320 to be very torquey....as they took some good Hellcat/Demon toys and slapped them on... It should feel faster...but it's really not that much faster.. many the SS that's around 11.9 or so...

But, it will certainly fit the bill for N/A speed and quick street light launches

What color did you get?
Destroyer Gray
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #103
smokinzx14r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

What color did you get?
Never could get my SS to run better than a 12.01 and that was in pretty good air.. My friend got his SS to go 11.88 but in mine shaft air ..Low DAs are great for good numbers ..His car was 100% stock and ran the car just a few days after taking off the dealers lot .. If the 1320 will run 11.70 like Dodge said and you are running 12.0 you got your ass dragged by a good bit ..I'll find out soon but its in the 80s here with high humidity and going to get worse ..I have to put 500 miles on the car to have the Line lock and Trans Brake to work ..Once it hits 500 miles the PCU turns on the line lock and Trans Brake ..No hero air for me , so we will see what it runs .. I should add that the dealer gave me a full tank of 87 octane ..It's meant for 91 or higher octane , so I'm sure it was pulling timing and not getting full power on 87 .. But it still ran hard ..
Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #104
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinzx14r View Post
Never could get my SS to run better than a 12.01 and that was in pretty good air.. My friend got his SS to go 11.88 but in mine shaft air ..Low DAs are great for good numbers ..His car was 100% stock and ran the car just a few days after taking off the dealers lot .. If the 1320 will run 11.70 like Dodge said and you are running 12.0 you got your ass dragged by a good bit ..I'll find out soon but its in the 80s here with high humidity and going to get worse ..I have to put 500 miles on the car to have the Line lock and Trans Brake to work ..Once it hits 500 miles the PCU turns on the line lock and Trans Brake ..No hero air for me , so we will see what it runs .. I should add that the dealer gave me a full tank of 87 octane ..It's meant for 91 or higher octane , so I'm sure it was pulling timing and not getting full power on 87 .. But it still ran hard ..
Congrats on the new ride!! I love all the features the 1320 brings for the drag strip. Fantastic set of goodies in that package, and I love the badge you posted. The trans brake and torque reserve will make for great launches (in combination with the street legal drag tires). It will be interesting to hear your impressions. Good luck at the strip!

Was your last Camaro a manual or an automatic? If you're coming from a manual, I'm sure it will be a much different experience.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #105
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Nice to hear you like it smokinzx. I bet you took a hit trading a 18 in. I'm still going back and forth searching. The cheapest listed price on a 1320 I found so far was 42.5k except for one at koons listed at 39k (but I know they don't include certain fees in their price). They also have the perfect optioned 18 SS there listed at 36k. Even if it ended up around 38k, it may be worth the drive. But then again, I haven't driven a challenger V8 yet. I'm also wondering if the 19 SS would be better to wait to look at later in the year.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #106
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Nice to hear you like it smokinzx. I bet you took a hit trading a 18 in. I'm still going back and forth searching. The cheapest listed price on a 1320 I found so far was 42.5k except for one at koons listed at 39k (but I know they don't include certain fees in their price). They also have the perfect optioned 18 SS there listed at 36k. Even if it ended up around 38k, it may be worth the drive. But then again, I haven't driven a challenger V8 yet. I'm also wondering if the 19 SS would be better to wait to look at later in the year.
You will not like a 19’ SS. I know it’s been beaten to death and everything is subjective for what people like. But, the front end truly is awful, I saw it yesterday in person. It looks cheap and plastic and while they’re all plastic, it just looks so bad with that black section.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #107
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
You will not like a 19’ SS. I know it’s been beaten to death and everything is subjective for what people like. But, the front end truly is awful, I saw it yesterday in person. It looks cheap and plastic and while they’re all plastic, it just looks so bad with that black section.
I actually like the new look and you have to admit the hood and rear looks better at least. I wasn't even considering the Camaro until I drove by the dealership and saw one in person a couple weeks ago. I hear the new ones have a better media center and even though the 10 speed is reportedly no faster, car and driver averaged 30mpg on the highway. IDK, the more I think about it, the Camaro has a small trunk and over all isn't much different than my Mustang as far as size and feel and that's why I was looking at the Challengers for something a little different.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #108
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I'm on my 5th Camaro since 2010, two 5th gens and now 3 6th gens...long story. All three have been unbelievable performers...no matter if I was at a sanctioned track or otherwise and I was always competitive even against faster cars. I bought my first 6th gen that happened to have been built on my birthday, which was the 50th anniversary of buying my first brand new car...a 1966 Chevelle Super Sport.

The build quality on my Camaros has always been impeccable...no rattles, everything worked as it was supposed to (sometimes had trouble figuring out how to work it) good looking, and nothing ever broke. I had looks and thumbs up everywhere I drove my cars. Always won a trophy at car shows.

I had one new Mustang in the last 10 years or so and it was such a disappointment. It was a V8 and I got beat by a Chevy Cobalt supercharged and I got rid of my last Ford quick.

These cars are like eating at my favorite expensive restaurant, I seem always to order the same thing. Why?, if you're going to spend that kind of money, you better get something you KNOW you'll like.

Get the Camaro.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #109
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
You’ll love the 2019 Camaro.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #110
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
I actually like the new look and you have to admit the hood and rear looks better at least. I wasn't even considering the Camaro until I drove by the dealership and saw one in person a couple weeks ago. I hear the new ones have a better media center and even though the 10 speed is reportedly no faster, car and driver averaged 30mpg on the highway. IDK, the more I think about it, the Camaro has a small trunk and over all isn't much different than my Mustang as far as size and feel and that's why I was looking at the Challengers for something a little different.
Haha well as I said it’s all subjective!! If you love it, that’s all that matters! Most don’t like it, me included. I’m so scared of the future I want to get a new 18’ now before they do anything else I hate. It’s a nice car either way though!

Last edited by Camarolover85; 03-17-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #111
smokinzx14r

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Congrats on the new ride!! I love all the features the 1320 brings for the drag strip. Fantastic set of goodies in that package, and I love the badge you posted. The trans brake and torque reserve will make for great launches (in combination with the street legal drag tires). It will be interesting to hear your impressions. Good luck at the strip!

Was your last Camaro a manual or an automatic? If you're coming from a manual, I'm sure it will be a much different experience.
My Camaro was a A8 and a great car also .. I'm just crossing off things on my bucket list ... 2015 Mustang , 2018 Camaro ,2019 Challenger ....
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #112
smokinzx14r

Quote:
really didn't take a hit at all ..the 2015 mustang I traded in for the 2018 Camaro they gave me extra money for it for the mods I added ..So I was in the Camaro really good .. The Camaro was marked down from 39k to just below 32k.. So went in to trade in the 2018 Camaro with low low miles they gave me what I asked for it .. Putting me right at 42k out the door on the Challenger .. Challenger was MSRP of just over 46k ... Now that I have had all 3 cars I have come to the end of my bucket list ..