Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
considering new camaro or challenger

Hey guys, looks like its been about 9 years since I've been on here and I've researched the new Camaro and never seriously considered it due to the somewhat weird styling and reports of limited visibility. My dad was a big Pontiac guy and had several GTO's back in the day and my first car was a 73 Grand Prix. It was a boat, but I loved the torque of that big 400. My most recent cars were a couple Genesis Coupes and then a couple Mustang GT's. My current car is a 16 premium guard auto. There is nothing really wrong with it and it has good pull when you get on it, just looking for something different with some more torque off the line. I did get the 0% interest for 72 so I know it probably isn't smart to get rid of it.

Anyway, I've been looking at the new Challenger Scat Packs for the last few months and really like the look and the upgrades of the 19 and was intending to either order one or wait for better rebates this summer. The drive-train is getting a little dated. Now the new 1320 looks very appealing, but I want to stay right around 40k if not less and that looks doubtful at the moment. So just for the heck of it stopped by the Chevy dealer down the street and the new Camaro does look much better in person and have to admit the 19's are really growing on me. But for a 2SS, they are only discounting about 2k right now. They do have a nice looking 18 in garnet (always wanted a dark red) for right around 40k, although I've seen a few a couple grand less on the net. I know it would only be slightly faster than my current car, but to get something really quick (say under 4.0 to 60 or so) stock I know I'd have to go with either the 19 Camaro, Mustang or 1320. One thing I find weird with the Camaro is they don't offer all-season tires and since I don't have a winter car that is a concern for me. So what do you guys think? I know most of you will recommend the Camaro on here and know I need to actually drive both a Scat and SS to decide, but just looking for input from those that actually have owned one.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I haven’t owned a Challenger but my boss has a Hellcat and loves it. Of course everyone here will push the Camaro on you so I would advise you to test drive both and decide for yourself which feels best. As far as tires go you can always swap out he OE ones for A/S ones at the dealer. Sometimes they will do a no cost swap if you push for it. Good luck with whatever you choose!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
also depends on if you will be driving with more than 2 people in the car unless they are children,the challenger is heavier but has more interior room if that is a factor.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
I love the look of both cars. I've owned a last gen Mustang and my current Camaro but no Challenger yet.

For me I could just feel the Challengers weight too much. The bulk was very apparent, even as a passenger and it bothered me. Now... that was a V6 test drive so maybe it is more tolerable with more power... but I still imagine it is quite obvious.
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Drive them both. Only way for you to get the feel.

Camaro chassis is razor sharp in a SS. Challenger, heavy and mushy; but more room.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
buy the 2018 Garnet Red .
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Hmm! Let's see - your post is on a Camaro forum. So, I say go with the Challenger!

Of course - only you can decide once you've completed your due diligence and driven both vehicles.

For me - while both are fine cars and have plenty of performance - I never have gotten too excited about the newer Mustangs and Challengers. They just look too boring and average to me. My Camaro even after three years still draws eyes and positive attention.

Plus what is not to love about a rear drive, manual transmission, big V8 (with dual mode exhaust) that makes street driving fun. Lots of torque - lots of grins!

Enjoy the hunt and best wishes to land the one that makes you happy!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Two totally different cars, both completely awesome at what they do. Camaro is a corvette with back seats. And Challenger is a Charger with 2 doors. I have owned both 2017 cars, currently with the 17 A8 scat. Its nice but I need the lighter and more nimble SS. But the challenger has been my DD and its been fantastic.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Camaro get snow tires for the winter, but seriously test drive both that’s the only way to decide
Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Without speaking with my typical disdain for the S550 GT, I will tell you that the 6th Gen SS, any of them, is Worlds apart from the 15-17 GT in performance. I owned a 15 GT for about a year and it was more on par with the 10 2SS/RS I also owned at that time. But it was no comparison to the 6th gen SS Camaros. To give you a good idea of where they fall, I have two track fanatic friends. One had a 15 GT with LTs, GT350 IM, no cats, CAI, custom tune, and I think he also had DRs. My other friend bought a 16 SS. They went to the track out here in NJ and both ran a 12.4. That is a modded GT vs a stock SS and they ran identical times. So that was mainly in response to your comment that it will only be slightly faster than your GT. LOL!!

Between the Chally and the Camaro I'd say it is a tough call. But, if you will be using it for DD and will be carrying more than 1 other person around pretty often, and will be taking it long distances, then the Chally is your best bet. If you just plan to use it for weekends and/or as a toy and won't be carrying anyone else around in it then get the Camaro. The Challengers are heavy vehicles and even on the Hellcat you can feel the weight. The only difference is that the Hellcat has soo much power that it kinda neutralizes the extra weight. So most of us Hellcat owners (on the Hellcat forums and groups at least) will tell you to either buy a Hellcat or nothing at all, lol!! I say anything with at least the 392 is a good purchase.

Now if your future plans include boost then avoid the Challengers at all cost. The non-Hellcat engines were not built for boost and cannot handle it. Especially the 5.7 engines. You will have engine failure if you try to boost it. Or, I should say, your chances of having engine failure is very high even with low boost and on a mild to moderate tune. If you plan to boost it one day then get the SS or better yet, keep your GT. Both cars handle boost very well but the GT has the advantage. If you plan for just bolt-ons then really any of the 3 will do. But the SS will probably be a better buy when it comes to overall NA performance.

So that is my spiel and I hope I helped you a little. One other option would be to get a used Vette because they are being discounted. You can get 1LT C7 Stingray for $40K range right now. Or perhaps a newer GT with the A10 trans. If you can spend a little more like around $50K then try finding a ZL1. Those are other good options for you depending on what you prefer.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
You mentioned all season tires. You might want to check because I believe the 1320 comes with drag radials or something similar.

Other than that, it depends on your priorities so you'll need to drive them. The visibility is pretty much the same in both of them. The 1320 comes with a lot of cool drag features and the Camaro can take a corner like few modern sports cars can.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I never had the Challenger, so just want to give you two points to consider. All in all, you need to seriously think about your priorities and make your choice, nothing anyone says here or the Challenger forums is a substitute for a test drive. With that said, I guarantee the SS will not disappoint either in terms of performance (great) or handling (excellent, almost sublime, and I don't even have a 1LE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
Hey guys, looks like its been about 9 years since I've been on here and I've researched the new Camaro and never seriously considered it due to the somewhat weird styling and reports of limited visibility.
The front and rear styling is different between the '18 and the '19 Camaro, it's really a matter of preference---I'd go with the '18 as it's menacing and masculine with just a healthy dose of retro, but others do like the lines and the new headlights/taillights on the '19.

The issue with visibility is way overrated, although of course it's compromised, as in every low roof sports car. Adjust your seat and your mirrors, and blind spots nearly disappear. Front visibility is slightly worse than in the Mustang and probably the Challenger, but if you adjust your seat higher, only the sky will be missing, to me it was like switching from an old 4:3 monitor to a 16:9 widescreen one, felt weird initially, but you adjust and let go of the old reflex, after which this also fades into insignificance in an hour or two (at least it did for me).

The A and C pillars aren't exactly skinny, but then again this isn't an SUV. Even going as far as comparing an apple to an orange, my Camaro to my wife's midsize 3-row SUV, I honestly have no problem at all driving either, the SUV simply has different visibility challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
They do have a nice looking 18 in garnet (always wanted a dark red) for right around 40k, although I've seen a few a couple grand less on the net. I know it would only be slightly faster than my current car, but to get something really quick (say under 4.0 to 60 or so) stock I know I'd have to go with either the 19 Camaro, Mustang or 1320.
Garnet red is the best Color preference aside, you may only be slightly faster 0-60 overall, but instant torque from as low as 1500-2000 rpm makes the entire driving experience completely different. I presume this applies to the Challenger just as well, given that 392 engine in the Scat Pack (this name, though...).

Again, make a brutally honest of list of what's important to you in an upgrade, test drive the Camaro and the Challenger, but in the end follow what your heart says, otherwise you're in for buyer's remorse and a costly trade-up. I should know.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Good suggestions guys. One other thing to consider if I would get the Camaro would be the added expense of a set of snow tires for the winter. With the Challenger, I might be able to get by with some good all-seasons since it sits higher and is heavier. I waited until December to put some winter wheels on the back of my Mustang this year with no problems. I could sell that set a get a few bucks out of it though.

I'm single and no kids so either would be fine. That's why I was thinking the 1320 with rear seat delete, but your right Frankie, they come with summer tires so I would have to get a new set there too unless they would switch them out for me. Oh and I heard rumors of the 426 possibly coming back maybe next year. As far as driving, its mostly straight stretches around here and I most likely wouldn't do much in mods besides some mild bolt-ons and a tune. I don't know about the Camaro, but hear the Challenger doesn't respond very well to basic mods (maybe 20-30hp tops) unless you do a cam or something.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Me, personally, while I like the way the Scat pack and Hellcats look, esp. the wide bodies, I would probably never buy one because they are too large and heavy for my liking. The non-wide bodies are about 4,300 lbs, and 10" longer than the Camaro and Mustang (which are both 188" long and weigh 3,700 lbs). I was a Camaro/GM guy my entire life (a 3rd gen Z28 was my first car and then I bought and modded a 4th gen Trans Am for 10 years that I loved that ran mid 12s in the 1/4) until the '18 GTs came, out - I think they are so good I bought one instead of a new SS. Aside from the engine and A10 upgrades, I love the sleeker look of the GT compared to the Challenger. Challengers look huge from all angles, but especially from the rear - very large. When I pull up next to one on the road, I almost feel like I am looking up at an SUV compared to my GT (and the Camaro is even 1" shorter in height than the GT). Anyway, between the Scat pack and the SS, I'd choose the SS every time. Smaller, lighter, quicker, better handling, comparable looks (not quite as good looking IMO), sportier, all the things I'd rather have in a car. The slightly better looks and 30 more hp in the Scat Pack are offset by the size and weight of the car. 3,700 lbs vs 4,300 lbs. I also tend to think the SS is going to be a better quality car, but that's just my impression of Chrysler products, I don't have any stats to back that up. Anyway, that's my 2 cents (or more like 45 cents I guess).

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote