Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
2020 Supra almost here

I saw the FT1 Concept at Detroit in 2014 and then tweaked versions of it over the next year and a half. Now, 5 years later the "real" car comes back to Detroit.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/24/...iew-uncovered/

I'm sure most of you already know it will be powered by a BMW inline 6. Not certain of the output, since BMW has versions of the 6 from 181 hp up to 456. IT clearly will not be either of the bookended versions. Probably the 248 hp version. Maybe a bit more.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Out of the box I can't see it get too far. I have a feeling they're going a 370z kind of direction with it. Aftermarket will be very interesting with those I6 engines. JDM fanboys will revere it as the second coming of car Jesus.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
*yawn*.. not toyota reliable, yet bmw expensive.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Inline 6 will probably be in the range of 360hp.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
NASCAR will start using a variation of it in the X-Finity series in 2019 and the Monster Cup series in 2020. Of course it will be built on NASCAR specs and will replace the Camry.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Inline 6 will probably be in the range of 360hp whp.
Fixed.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Fixed.
I agree, it'll probably be about that and I'd guess it'll keep up with a '19 M2. It might be competition for a SS 1LE on a track...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I saw the FT1 Concept at Detroit in 2014 and then tweaked versions of it over the next year and a half. Now, 5 years later the "real" car comes back to Detroit.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/24/...iew-uncovered/

I'm sure most of you already know it will be powered by a BMW inline 6. Not certain of the output, since BMW has versions of the 6 from 181 hp up to 456. IT clearly will not be either of the bookended versions. Probably the 248 hp version. Maybe a bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Inline 6 will probably be in the range of 360hp whp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Fixed.
Per Road & Track, 335 at the crank, not whp. Don’t know what I was thinking. 248 is more like what the 2.0T should deliver. And according to R&T the 2.0T will come in at 262. The 2019 340i has a 382 hp inline 6 turbo, so 335 would be significantly reduced for the Supra. Not unprecedented with BMW. They have multiple power levels for the inline 6 for different sales markets and probably sell Toyota one of the lesser tunes while keeping the higher tunes for the Z4. The Z4 has a 255 2.0T and a 382 inline 6.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-what-we-know/
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Zaxer

Drives: 3 kraut burners
Toyota continues their hedge on the sports car market in R&D development costs - sharing with BMW on the Supra, and Subaru for the 86. Curious if Toyota will drop in a high powered hybrid engine of some sort in the future, which seems obvious and appropriate for the Supra. I suppose it’s too low of a volume - but it would be intriguing. I recall the old twin turbo version from the 90’s...nice car.
Zaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxer View Post
Toyota continues their hedge on the sports car market in R&D development costs - sharing with BMW on the Supra, and Subaru for the 86. Curious if Toyota will drop in a high powered hybrid engine of some sort in the future, which seems obvious and appropriate for the Supra. I suppose it’s too low of a volume - but it would be intriguing. I recall the old twin turbo version from the 90’s...nice car.
I am not a betting man, but I would drop a huge sum on the prospects of this happening.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #11
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
If Toyota prices the Supra right..they won't have any trouble selling them. Honestly I think a lot of the people who are normally the JDM/import types that jumped ship to the Camaro/Mustang in 2015+..they'll be going "back home" as it were with this new Mk V Supra.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #12
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
My son and I like JDM, we have a built type R Integra sleeved 2.1 block, huge cams, about 285 engine HP NA, we going to E85 by summer and 13:1, looking to crack into the 300 HP range NA, sure this is candy if we did a K20, but we want to be authentic to the car. We tossed around an older Skyline, I like the look, but once we are done modding might as well get a second hand Audi RS3.

I don't know if the Supra will make any headway, I'll point to the poor selling E86, it really did not ever have enough HP to really compete. Now with Honda and the new Type R (ugly as sin), the E86 is hopeless. Looking at the 1le and even the ecoboost with sports package, I'm having a hard time seeing the Supra make headway 2.0 or the twin turbo.

I also race Minis and I'm in love with this new BMW 2.0 with basically VTEC.

My thinking is this, it will sell well enough, but most of them will be 2.0 BMW engines with automatic transmissions. The car is a looker for sure. There is so much money now into the pony cars, the dominate everything, road race, 1/4 mile and autoX (;larger tracks). There just is not enough money into the BMW engine stateside. I'm now seeing 416 ish 1lE show up and the are hard to beat, really phenomenal performance, just OMG. Pretty cheap to get into, candy to work on, lots of builders, lots of parts. I just see a complete Camaro dominance, probably because of the reasons cited above.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:18 AM   #13
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
to be honest i dont care for the styling on this,but im sure it will be a popular car with the fast and furious demographic.but with SUVs taking over the world,i hope it works out well for toyota.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Wow, that back end looks like something out of a child's comic book. Yuck. I find the front end less ridiculous, but still goofy.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.