Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to sign up for Track Attack Premium ($99/yr) for PDR Support?
Yep, I would sign up if they supported our files 16 51.61%
Maybe 8 25.81%
No thanks 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
kdeja

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE - Arctic Blue
Performance Data Recorder Data and Track Attack - Poll

How many of you have the GM Performance Data Recorder in your car and would like to analyze it in Track Attack? A couple of us are trying to help Track Attack understand the potential market size if they add support. If we can get around 15 people to commit to Track Attack Premium ($99 / year) that may be enough to get them to put some development time into the software to support our PDR files.

One of the benefits of this would be the ability to easily share track files (large files) amongst other drivers, compare data, etc. You can store your PDR files on the Track Attack site and have the ability to download other driver’s files at the same track, compare your laps, braking, acceleration, etc. Analyzing data and all the squiggly lines by comparing it to others is a great way to see where you may be losing time at specific parts of the track or where you’re really hauling the mail.

So, I’m taking a poll to gauge interest and see if there is demand for this.

Thanks
kdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if i had one i would lol but just a 1ss here :(
Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Isn't this what the Cosworth tool accomplishes?
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
mig7410

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Isn't this what the Cosworth tool accomplishes?
Track Attack would allow you to share your data and view other's to compare.
mig7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig7410 View Post
Track Attack would allow you to share your data and view other's to compare.
Gotcha.

I could see it being useful for some, but i'm not sure i'd spring to spend 100 bucks on it.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I think you aren't going to get the results you are looking for unless you provide some information to really "sell" this idea.

If the only thing to communicate here is stating you can share files, being the only advantage, you're likely not going to generate all that much interest.

A lot of people probably have no clue what you're talking about or the importance.

[being general here...]
What/Who is Track Attack?

What can Track Attack do for me? What will Track Attack do for me over simply using GM PDR and Cosworth Toolbox?

Give an example(s) on how Track Attack would be beneficial (i.e. compare a corner to how Randy Pobst takes it, etc.)...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
kdeja

Sorry for the delayed response. Yeah, I agree, I need to sell it a little better. I was hoping we had enough hard-core track rats on here that I wouldn’t have to.

Track attack is a site that allows you to analyze the data from an on-board data acquisition system, like an AIM Solo DL. Since the Camaros and Corvettes can be had with an on-board system (GM’s performance data recorder) it would be useful if Track Attack could support that data without have to purchase another on-board system.

Simple and high level process: Open Track Attack https://trackattack.io/ , follow the instructions to set up an account, upload your data, and analyze the squiggly lines based on the GPS track map. This is provided Track Attack supports the data you’re loading (which it does support a lot of different sources of data, but not the GM PDR data). I added a couple screen shots and a little analysis below along with a link to a You Tube video that talks about analyzing the squiggly lines.

The GM Cosworth site will allow you to also see the data, but IMO it’s the little harder to read.

The Cosworth PI Toolbox is similar to Track Attack, and from a data analysis standpoint better than the standard GM Cosworth software, but takes some back-end set up.

What can you gain from analyzing and comparing your data with others? There are two attachments: NCM Single is a data screen grab from the PI Toolbox of a portion of one of my laps (turn 5 and part of 6) from NCM Motorsports park. In the top right corner you can see details of where the vertical line is on the graph. Accelerator, brake, lateral acceleration, longitudinal acceleration, rpm, and speed. Nice, but not as informative on it’s own.

This second attachment "NCM Compare" is the same section of track but I overlaid my instructors lap (3 seconds faster) to see where he was faster, where did he brake compared to me, where was he on the gas compared to me, lateral G’s, etc. He’s the green line, I’m the red.

Looking at the second pair of lines from the top, I’m breaking way too early for turn 5, not breaking hard enough initially and overall. Looking at the bottom set of lines, he’s carrying speed for a longer distance and holding a higher speed than I am through the turn. Valuable to see my data compared to someone who is 3 seconds faster to know where and how I can improve (and there’s a lot to improve, I know).

Here’s a link to an instructional video using Track Attack: https://youtu.be/nCzEOu_z5ys

I run with the NASA Great Lakes club and we’re putting a lot of emphasis on data analysis for those who are serious about improving their driving and lap times. What’s nice about Track Attack is the fact that you can easily download any other driver’s data, (stored in the cloud) regardless of car and compare your data to see where you may be lagging. I had my instructor drive my car for a session, so I had the data files for both of our sessions, which makes it easy to compare. But without that I would only be comparing my own sessions, which wouldn’t of been as beneficial.

The Premium gets you:
Unlimited session storage
Create private sessions
Auto-sync data and video
Create movies with data overlays

I don’t work for Track Attack, just trying to gauge demand for their software if there was support for the PDR data files.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert

Drives: 2016 2 SS Vert
New to the newer Camaros. How do you know if you have the data recorder? Was it certain years or specific options? I have a 16 2SS convertible.
TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert View Post
New to the newer Camaros. How do you know if you have the data recorder? Was it certain years or specific options? I have a 16 2SS convertible.
It’s not an option in our verts. It’s a coupe only option.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #10
TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert

Drives: 2016 2 SS Vert
k thanks. I found a way to make one with cell phone
TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert View Post
k thanks. I found a way to make one with cell phone
That's not the "same thing" as what the PDR system provides.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
The video file from PDR has data embedded in it. If you share the video file with another PDR user you can overlay and compare data (load both in cosworth).
Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Destroyer_1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
I have no experiences with this software but Im interested. I also a Mac user so I cant run Cosworth program on my computers. Does this track attack software work on Macs or mobil devices?

Destroyer_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
kdeja

Yep, can be used with a Mac or PC. With regards to mobile, this is from their site:

The new Track Attack analysis software and cloud service is a pivot from the original Track Attack smartphone apps. They are completely different systems and we have plans to update the smartphone apps to work with the new platform and analysis software but for now, they are completely different.

The Track Attack smartphone apps are no longer available for download and the services that power them have been shut down.

If you want to log data with a smartphone app, please use Harry’s Lap Timer or Track Addict. The new TA supports .vbo exports generated by both applications.