Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 03-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Modifying stock seats to accept 5/6 point harness?

Hey guys,
I just picked up my SS 1LE in October and she's currently "in the barn" waiting for the snow to melt and track season to begin.

I'm considering options on harnesses and mounting points. Because my much shorter wife will be co-driving the car, the club I run with doesn't allow 4-point harnesses unless they're make/model specific from Schroth, and I don't really want to go back down the "track car" path, I'm considering modifying my stock 1LE seats to accept the anti-sub belt so I can place the anchor under the seat.

Sitting on the belt run from behind the seat is not an acceptable option for me so let's not debate that option. I also want to keep the stock seats in the car since it will also be street driven.

I have a friend who has done this modification to his '17 GS with the competition seats, and the upholstery shop did a fantastic job making it look like it was designed that way.

I'm curious if anyone has done this to their stock Recaros and if you have a picture I could show the upholstery shop as well as part numbers for the harness guides.

Thanks!
Jim
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Most nationally sanctioned organizations ban modifying seats for harness pass throughs. I wouldn't even consider it even if it wasn't banned. I also would not buy a car with modified seats...
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Jimbeau11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Most nationally sanctioned organizations ban modifying seats for harness pass throughs. I wouldn't even consider it even if it wasn't banned. I also would not buy a car with modified seats...
I appreciate your opinion, but that wasn't the question. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post
I appreciate your opinion, but that wasn't the question. Thanks.
Agreed, maybe too much opinion there.

However, even if your "local track club" allows the use of modified seats, you're likely pigeon-holed to only running with that club... and only so long as they allow modified seats. PCA/NASA/CCA/etc does not allow modified seats. I've seen many Corvettes with modified seats like you describe.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
Jimbeau11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Agreed, maybe too much opinion there.

However, even if your "local track club" allows the use of modified seats, you're likely pigeon-holed to only running with that club... and only so long as they allow modified seats. PCA/NASA/CCA/etc does not allow modified seats. I've seen many Corvettes with modified seats like you describe.
This was exactly the discussion I was hoping to avoid.

Seriously I do understand where you're coming from. I used to be the guy enforcing the "PCA Minimum Standards" for my PCA region.

I'm also intimately familiar with Club Race rules and tech standards for PCA as a former tech inspector. I've also read the Schroth warning in every one of their product listings: " A seat that was not originally designed for use with a racing restraint should never be modified to accept a sub strap."

The PCA "Minimum Standard" does not specifically prohibit modified seats, (although some regions have added stricter language which is their prerogative) and the modified C7 Corvette "competition" seats is exactly where the idea came from, since some genius made seats with shoulder pass-throughs but didn't include one for the sub-strap, similar to the Camaro engineers building a track car with seats that are not conducive to using harnesses. Several of my friends have modified their C7s.

Having said all of this, I'm actually leaning toward trying to convince my replacement that he should grant me an exception for the Schroth Profi II ASM 4-point system.

So you've talked me out of it. Happy??
Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
There's a company called Garage Therapy NC that make a harness guide for 6thgen seats.
Attached Images

Kairles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Hey guys,
I just picked up my SS 1LE in October and she's currently "in the barn" waiting for the snow to melt and track season to begin.

I'm considering options on harnesses and mounting points. Because my much shorter wife will be co-driving the car, the club I run with doesn't allow 4-point harnesses unless they're make/model specific from Schroth, and I don't really want to go back down the "track car" path, I'm considering modifying my stock 1LE seats to accept the anti-sub belt so I can place the anchor under the seat.

Sitting on the belt run from behind the seat is not an acceptable option for me so let's not debate that option. I also want to keep the stock seats in the car since it will also be street driven.

I have a friend who has done this modification to his '17 GS with the competition seats, and the upholstery shop did a fantastic job making it look like it was designed that way.

I'm curious if anyone has done this to their stock Recaros and if you have a picture I could show the upholstery shop as well as part numbers for the harness guides.

Thanks!
Jim
Hi Jim! Since you havent driven the car on track yet (I presume), you may wish to give it a go with stock belts. The Recaro seats provide excellent support (much, much better than Vette "competition" seat which is largely a marketing gimmick imo). I dont miss my 5 point at all in the 1le. Another thing to consider is that Camaro roofs while strong enough - are not as strong as the Vette's.

As to GM engineers...well, not much difference in terms of seat design between them and Pcars, Bimmers and other marques imo. A good idea imo, as harness without a proper roll bar/cage is an interesting "safety" concept all in itself. And given your background i am sure you are intimately aware of its details.

Anyhow, congrats on the purchase and enjoy the car. It is a track beast and a pleasure to drive! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Garage Therapy also makes a sub belt bracket for stock seats, but you wind up sitting on the sub belt(s) which I'm not sure is a good idea. Opinions on this solution?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Jimbeau11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Hi Jim! Since you havent driven the car on track yet (I presume), you may wish to give it a go with stock belts. The Recaro seats provide excellent support (much, much better than Vette "competition" seat which is largely a marketing gimmick imo). I dont miss my 5 point at all in the 1le. Another thing to consider is that Camaro roofs while strong enough - are not as strong as the Vette's.

As to GM engineers...well, not much difference in terms of seat design between them and Pcars, Bimmers and other marques imo. A good idea imo, as harness without a proper roll bar/cage is an interesting "safety" concept all in itself. And given your background i am sure you are intimately aware of its details.

Anyhow, congrats on the purchase and enjoy the car. It is a track beast and a pleasure to drive! Cheers!
Thanks, I am going to try the stock belts before making a decision.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks, I am going to try the stock belts before making a decision.
I think it is a good idea. I can attest i was pleasantly surprised with the amout of support the Camaro Recaros offer: better than GT3 seats i thought.
Unlike in a Vette where one sits on top of shallow butt bolsters (as the seat is much narrower due to lack of space) the Camaro seats offer superior support there and the bolsters are much higher and actually do the job. Ditto side back support bolsters, which offer a comfy position to lean into - in the corners. In any case, see what you think. All the best and cheers!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Garage Therapy also makes a sub belt bracket for stock seats, but you wind up sitting on the sub belt(s) which I'm not sure is a good idea. Opinions on this solution?
Is that with the picture they posted with a sub-belt that was snaked through the back of the seat?

Although that routing (over wrapping it over the front of the seat cushion) does allow proper anti-sub holding, I wounder if it is acceptable?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
Jimbeau11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Is that with the picture they posted with a sub-belt that was snaked through the back of the seat?

Although that routing (over wrapping it over the front of the seat cushion) does allow proper anti-sub holding, I wounder if it is acceptable?
It really depends on the organization. Some, like PCA, are more rigid than others and tend to follow manufacturer recommendations for mounting/anchor locations and seat design. Some regions have looked the other way on seat modifications allowing a correct anchor location but may not allow the belt routed over the front or through the back with the driver sitting on the belt.

I'm going to see how the stock belts work before deciding on harnesses.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
It really depends on the organization. Some, like PCA, are more rigid than others and tend to follow manufacturer recommendations for mounting/anchor locations and seat design. Some regions have looked the other way on seat modifications allowing a correct anchor location but may not allow the belt routed over the front or through the back with the driver sitting on the belt.

Between the good bolstering of the Recaros and the factory 3-point locking, you get held in pretty good. The only reason I'd like to run a 5/6-point is to run in some of the more advanced run groups with some clubs. I already have a HANs; if I would have known more a few years ago, I would've just got the Simpson Hybrid.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:

One more info tid bit: stock belts have a feature if you pull the shoulder belt out and then let it go it will lock tight providing more support. So you can cinch the stock 3 point pretty good for extra support.