Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Anyone install DIY footwell lighting?

I saw a kit available on shopchevyparts.com for almost 200 bucks. Looks like it can be done for about $10 in parts. Has anyone here installed either? Where do the lights mount and where do the wires plug in?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #2
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
I have installed floor led when I was installing my door sills. I tapped into the same wire for floor led .. I didn’t want it on at all times , so it only turns on when I open the doors ! It’s perfect.

Skip to 7:12 to see the wires

https://youtu.be/br3SnV4fUOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I saw a kit available on shopchevyparts.com for almost 200 bucks. Looks like it can be done for about $10 in parts. Has anyone here installed either? Where do the lights mount and where do the wires plug in?
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
I don't think anyone has cracked the code on the footwell lights yet. I agree that the parts should be relatively cheap. Just a few RGB LEDs. I don't understand how the kit is so ridiculously expensive. I want to add the kit but am waiting to see if someone cracks this nut and shares the info. I would much rather save about 100-150 bucks and do it myself.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
I don't think anyone has cracked the code on the footwell lights yet. I agree that the parts should be relatively cheap. Just a few RGB LEDs. I don't understand how the kit is so ridiculously expensive. I want to add the kit but am waiting to see if someone cracks this nut and shares the info. I would much rather save about 100-150 bucks and do it myself.
When referring to RGB LEDs, do you mean they will change color?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeJATT View Post
I have installed floor led when I was installing my door sills. I tapped into the same wire for floor led .. I didn’t want it on at all times , so it only turns on when I open the doors ! It’s perfect.

Skip to 7:12 to see the wires

https://youtu.be/br3SnV4fUOo
Thanks for posting! Question about the splicing to the wire outside the connector. You cut the existing wire and attached one end of the harness wire to one side of the cut wire and the other harness wire to the other side of the cut wire. This implies that the harness is hooked up in series. Without knowing any better, I would assume that when you tap into the hot lead, it would require a parallel hookup with both harness leads hooked up to a stripped but uncut wire. Can you point out what I'm missing here?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
red_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
When referring to RGB LEDs, do you mean they will change color?
Yeah. I got the 2SS with the doors and radio that change colors. The footwell lighting kit is an upgrade that allows the footwell to change colors with the factory radio. There is a 3 wire hook up for that. Typical RGB hook ups are 4 wires so that means that 2 wires are power/ground and the 3rd is data. A controller may be necessary to process the signal in order to make a standard RGB LED strip work in conjunction with the factory system. Otherwise you can buy any old RGB LED kit and tap it into the floor light or into an interior courtesy light that remains on when your lights are on. Your dimmer lead to the radio would be a good source if you used a relay so your not pulling too much voltage from that, not that LEDs pull that much.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
red_johnny

There is also sequential RGB LED kits. All depends what you are looking for.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
There is also sequential RGB LED kits. All depends what you are looking for.
Thanks for the info. I don't have the lighting package, so I don't need a colored light show for my feet. I really just want a little light down there to get in and out of the car at night.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
red_johnny

These guys make a kit like what you are looking for.
https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2016-...-lighting.html