Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #43
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Well, you expect GM to give you what you think is best? What about what the world think is best? 1 vs. 1000's ? How do you expect GM to go against thousands? What would you do.?
The bose system ? Most think the system isn't!
I am suggesting GM go for the 100s and 100s of thousands. Going retro only satisfies the regulars. I want GREAT and that will attract far more than a retro 70s Camaro ever will.

If what you want is simply something that makes you think of your senior year of high school in the 1970s (which is a lot of GM leadership)........go for it. I worked there for most of my career, I know a lot of the people in decision ,
Making positions..........I expect their best. Period. Not retread retro crap. Even Toyota could do 70s retro.

Maybe I give my friends and former coworkers more credit than you guys do.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #44
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I am suggesting GM go for the 100s and 100s of thousands. Going retro only satisfies the regulars. I want GREAT and that will attract far more than a retro 70s Camaro ever will.

If what you want is simply something that makes you think of your senior year of high school in the 1970s (which is a lot of GM leadership)........go for it. I worked there for most of my career, I know a lot of the people in decision ,
Making positions..........I expect their best. Period. Not retread retro crap. Even Toyota could do 70s retro.

GM has sold 100's and 100's of thousand s! How many 5th Gens did you think? I would love to see a modern looking camaro beat the success of the 5th Gen! That Wont happen! But my fault, you'really talking about the 70's look. So we'll see! Toyota? lmao.... don't nobody care for a old 60's Toyota or 70's! That's why Toyota can't do what GM can and they won't! Nobody ever considered any Toyota a classic ! Why Retro something that don't nobody is looking for now? Toyota is known for it's quality and MPG , not style or looks! So why would Toyota? Regular buyers? A lot of buyers never knew about the 60's camaro or cared for muscle cars! It's all about what's hot and bold! The C5 did that! But we'll see how the 6th Gen do!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #45
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaro223 View Post
That article is all over the place......just a fun read and nothing more. Grain of salt stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Really? A gaping Audi-esque grill with a mailslot? Is that the best they can do? Arrph. I'll be glad to keep my 5th Gen.
That is just the magazine sketch...don't get too worried about it. I for one sure as hell hope they don't do 2nd gen-like retro design....but that said the sources are saying its an evolutionary from the current car kind of design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklapike View Post
I'm calling BS on this one too. The V6 CTS (RWD) weighs 3757 lbs, V6 Camaros (depending on transmission and trim) range from 3750 to 3780 lbs. If the ATS sedan/coupe are any indication, an Alpha+ coupe would likely weigh in around 3826 lbs. That's not weight loss in my book.
The sources are saying the car will be smaller, and so if that is true, and the car goes on Alpha (as we know it will) it will loose a good amount of weight. Maybe not as much as some hope, but should equal or best the new Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Because automobile magazine says that's the platform that they will use.
Others are saying the car will be smaller, so I wouldn't take that to heart. Nobody really knows yet. A couple sources on GMI who claim to have seen the car are saying it is smaller, and Michael Bay said in an interview that he saw the car, and it was smaller than the 5th gen. Take that as you will.

Quote:

I'm curious what you think of the 5th gen, and how "retro" you feel it is? I mean...sure it has throwback cues, but as far as I'm concerned it was a bold, current if not futuristic design, and I still feel that way about it. I don't even think the new Mustang has the road presence of a new Camaro. You take the cues out of the design that makes a Camaro a Camaro, or a Corvette a Corvette, or a Mustang a Mustang....then what are they?

So the rumors say the next car will be an evolution of the current car. If true, that means to me it will have some of the same characteristics, but hopefully moved in a great modern if not slightly futuristic-again direction. Is this what you are hoping for too? Couldn't this be called "retro" just as much as the current car? (I'm talking exterior design only by the way)

I guess I just get errked a bit when people say the 5th gen is totally retro. Its a modern take of an icon. What do people expect? Porsche does it, Corvette did it...so should Camaro.

I like what you are saying, and I think GM can build something special too, but the car still needs to say "Camaro" when you look at it. If they can do that, and by some miracle make me fall in love with it as instantly as they did in 2006 with the current car, it will be a grand day!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #46
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
That article is all over the place......just a fun read and nothing more. Grain of salt stuff.

That is just the magazine sketch...don't get too worried about it. I for one sure as hell hope they don't do 2nd gen-like retro design....but that said the sources are saying its an evolutionary from the current car kind of design.

The sources are saying the car will be smaller, and so if that is true, and the car goes on Alpha (as we know it will) it will loose a good amount of weight. Maybe not as much as some hope, but should equal or best the new Mustang.

Others are saying the car will be smaller, so I wouldn't take that to heart. Nobody really knows yet. A couple sources on GMI who claim to have seen the car are saying it is smaller, and Michael Bay said in an interview that he saw the car, and it was smaller than the 5th gen. Take that as you will.

I'm curious what you think of the 5th gen, and how "retro" you feel it is? I mean...sure it has throwback cues, but as far as I'm concerned it was a bold, current if not futuristic design, and I still feel that way about it. I don't even think the new Mustang has the road presence of a new Camaro. You take the cues out of the design that makes a Camaro a Camaro, or a Corvette a Corvette, or a Mustang a Mustang....then what are they?

So the rumors say the next car will be an evolution of the current car. If true, that means to me it will have some of the same characteristics, but hopefully moved in a great modern if not slightly futuristic-again direction. Is this what you are hoping for too? Couldn't this be called "retro" just as much as the current car? (I'm talking exterior design only by the way)

I guess I just get errked a bit when people say the 5th gen is totally retro. Its a modern take of an icon. What do people expect? Porsche does it, Corvette did it...so should Camaro.

I like what you are saying, and I think GM can build something special too, but the car still needs to say "Camaro" when you look at it. If they can do that, and by some miracle make me fall in love with it as instantly as they did in 2006 with the current car, it will be a grand day!
I think the 5th gen in 2009 was a shock and awe car. But it sacrificed true greatness to heritage. But at that time it was the right choice to bring back a car that was dead and buried. But now we have a re established Camaro. It has been successfully resurrected. So now is absolurptely not the time to do a retro 70 1/2 Camaro. It is the time to reach beyond just beating Ford and Fiat. Now is the time to sucker punch alllllllll comers and all pretenders to the throne. Hail to the King baby! Hail to the king!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #47
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
I think the 5th gen in 2009 was a shock and awe car. But it sacrificed true greatness to heritage. But at that time it was the right choice to bring back a car that was dead and buried. But now we have a re established Camaro. It has been successfully resurrected. So now is absolurptely not the time to do a retro 70 1/2 Camaro. It is the time to reach beyond just beating Ford and Fiat. Now is the time to sucker punch alllllllll comers and all pretenders to the throne. Hail to the King baby! Hail to the king!
Why do you say sacrifice? The Camaro name wasn't what. brought the Camaro back, the 5th Gen design was! I don't know how you measure greatness but the 5th Gen has been something special! Especially, for GM! The Retro and futuristic design made it right for the Camaro to comeback! Maybe, GM should go beat on Ferrari's too! Then! Wait, the Z/28 is doing that!

You want more Cadillac stuff than a Cadillac actually, has...... Most been talking about it's too many features as is and some want a strip down version! But you want more!Can't make everyone happy! The Corvette and Camaro has to work together! Hopefully, GM can make everyone happy!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #48
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The Stingray walked away from heritage and retro styling and appears to be a hit. The CTS did the same in 05(?). GM has shown a willingness to be bold so I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Camaro look new and daring.

GM was also the styling leader in the 50s, 60s and 70s and has much to pick from to go retro if they choose. The 70s F-bodies out sold everything. Ford and Dodge on the other hand have nowhere else to go. Evolution of a retro look spells failure and cowardice. Chevy could go 70s retro and still be fresh.

My gut tells me they are going the path of Stingray. New, bold. If we get a 70s retro, I'll still be happy. If it looks like a smaller, evolved version of the current car I will be disappointed but their recent design behavior says that won't happen.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #49
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The Stingray walked away from heritage and retro styling and appears to be a hit. The CTS did the same in 05(?). GM has shown a willingness to be bold so I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Camaro look new and daring.

GM was also the styling leader in the 50s, 60s and 70s and has much to pick from to go retro if they choose. The 70s F-bodies out sold everything. Ford and Dodge on the other hand have nowhere else to go. Evolution of a retro look spells failure and cowardice. Chevy could go 70s retro and still be fresh.

My gut tells me they are going the path of Stingray. New, bold. If we get a 70s retro, I'll still be happy. If it looks like a smaller, evolved version of the current car I will be disappointed but their recent design behavior says that won't happen.
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I think all this discussion will be silenced when we finally see the car. The discussion will then turn to OMG! How can I get one?! GM, take my money now! For me I'm happy with my 1LE and am not the kind of person to trade in every time the newest and greatest comes out. The only reason I ended up with a 1LE is because I was too broke to get a fifth gen when they first came out. I really wanted a 45th anniversary SS when those came out too. I will always have an interest in what the Camaro is doing though and look foward to seeing the styling. I really do believe that an awesome powertrain and great handling is a given at this point.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #50
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

But...the Stingray at least still has the characteristics of a Corvette. The lines say "Corvette!" Also, I'd argue that its a stretch to say the Corvette was ever retro at all during the last 3 or 4 generations...if ever. Its always been an evolution of the current car, brought up to modern bolder standards. Heck..if it wasn't for the tail light change, you could easily say the new C7 is basically just an evolved, muscular looking C6 with a better, more modern drivetrain and interior. Even with the tail light change, I'd say that is a true statement.

So I will say this...if the Camaro evolves like the Corvette did I'll be very happy as well. It will still have the characteristics of Camaro, but with a forward design, and improved chassis, drivetrain, and interior. Heck yes!

But I can't say I'd agree with any idea that moves the Camaro "design heritage" so far away from where it currently is, to a place where it no longer looks like a Camaro any longer. For Example., lets say the car got smaller, with a much shorter hood deck. Thats not Camaro.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #51
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
Looks more like a Toyota Supra from mid nineties if you chop the front nose .
I was thinking more MR2-ish.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #52
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
But...the Stingray at least still has the characteristics of a Corvette. The lines say "Corvette!" Also, I'd argue that its a stretch to say the Corvette was ever retro at all during the last 3 or 4 generations...if ever. Its always been an evolution of the current car, brought up to modern bolder standards. Heck..if it wasn't for the tail light change, you could easily say the new C7 is basically just an evolved, muscular looking C6 with a better, more modern drivetrain and interior. Even with the tail light change, I'd say that is a true statement.

So I will say this...if the Camaro evolves like the Corvette did I'll be very happy as well. It will still have the characteristics of Camaro, but with a forward design, and improved chassis, drivetrain, and interior. Heck yes!

But I can't say I'd agree with any idea that moves the Camaro "design heritage" so far away from where it currently is, to a place where it no longer looks like a Camaro any longer. For Example., lets say the car got smaller, with a much shorter hood deck. Thats not Camaro.
Agree!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #53
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:

I see that the C7 took a more futuristic look but didn't go all the way from its heritage! I didn't know the previous Gens were Retro! Wait was any of them Retro?

Everything else I agree with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
This pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I think all this discussion will be silenced when we finally see the car. The discussion will then turn to OMG! How can I get one?! GM, take my money now! For me I'm happy with my 1LE and am not the kind of person to trade in every time the newest and greatest comes out. The only reason I ended up with a 1LE is because I was too broke to get a fifth gen when they first came out. I really wanted a 45th anniversary SS when those came out too. I will always have an interest in what the Camaro is doing though and look foward to seeing the styling. I really do believe that an awesome powertrain and great handling is a given at this point.
Agree! I'll definitely be keeping my 5th Gen! But this 6th Gen, if it is the design ! I got me thinking of getting one to go with my 5th Gen!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #54
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
My gut tells me that Automobile Magazine is talking out of its @$$ here.

Does anyone here seriously think that the Camaro's wheelbase needs to grow to a near Challenger-like length?? Is that the direction that anyone wants going forward? The only way that it makes any kind of sense, I guess, is if Chevy is getting ready to slot a smaller sporty car (e.g. code 130r or Tru 140s whatever) below the Camaro. Frankly, I'm skeptical of that. Based on the fact that basically no one (except Automobile Mag) seems to have talked about such a car in YEARS, I've pretty much concluded that it's a dead issue.

I'm more inclined to believe the anecdotal reports of Michael Bay and others concerning a 'shrinking' or 'smaller platform' Camaro.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #55
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Most Auto Designs Evolve

Porsche (especially), BMW's, Fords, Audis, Kia, Corvette (since 1968), etc...etc

Chevy has found a highly regarded breakthrough design for the Camaro...that sells and sells. They should let this be their stepping stone for future Camaro designs, letting it evolve from here forward and upward. The Camaro brand needs to be recognizable and identifiable. Don't mess too much with success. The only cars I see drastically changing their looks are Supercar/Hypercars, and even some of them are recently evolving (Lamborghini, Pagani, Aston Martin...)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #56
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
I'm on the fence with this particular design. From what I've reserched, I don't think its going to be this drastic. In my wife's and I's point, we truley want a 1LE and already discussed many of times to wait now until the 6th gen comes out. My only concern is will the 6th gen have a 1LE? if so, will it be right away. I understand that for those of you who work directly with GM may know but can't leak any information, nor is that what I am asking. I do however work for a supplier for Camaro, but no where does it indicate a 1LE. If not, I will purchase a 2015 model 1LE. Not my first choice.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote