Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #15
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
A10 vs Manual

Ok so from a performance standpoint on ANY track situation whether it be a road course, an autox course or a drags, THEN the A10 is the BEST CHOICE. The only reason to go to a manual really is because someone just LOVES the idea of shifting.

The A10 is not as good as the dual clutch autos of the Porsches for example in terms of manually shifting the car with the paddles. It DOES NOT immediately respond to a paddle shift because there is a slight delay before the selected gear is engaged (when paddle shifting).

HOWEVER, in AUTOMATIC mode I have found the downshifts and upshifts to be as crisp if not crisper than any other tranny including the porsches, lambos, audis etc.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:48 PM   #16
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
[QUOTE=sr71bb;11342592]Ok so from a performance standpoint on ANY track situation whether it be a road course, an autox course or a drags, THEN the A10 is the BEST CHOICE. The only reason to go to a manual really is because someone just LOVES the idea of shifting.

[/pop QUOTE]

This. I think it does in the end come down to preference. I love the idea of being faster, but I also love the idea of that coming from driver mod. Not electronics and solenoids. I know I can be faster in an A10. But it’s important to me to keep the driver mod going, and narrowing that gap. I already feel like rev matching is cheating, lol. Plus I do think a well executed heal and toe downshift is worth a 1000 lever pulls. Like I earned that shift.

So the next goal, unattainable as it might be, is to lessen my own gap to an A10. For me It’s the journey.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:11 PM   #17
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Ok so from a performance standpoint on ANY track situation whether it be a road course, an autox course or a drags, THEN the A10 is the BEST CHOICE. The only reason to go to a manual really is because someone just LOVES the idea of shifting.

The A10 is not as good as the dual clutch autos of the Porsches for example in terms of manually shifting the car with the paddles. It DOES NOT immediately respond to a paddle shift because there is a slight delay before the selected gear is engaged (when paddle shifting).

HOWEVER, in AUTOMATIC mode I have found the downshifts and upshifts to be as crisp if not crisper than any other tranny including the porsches, lambos, audis etc.
I felt the same thing and I think it's the programming of the paddle shifters more than a hardware delay in the transmission. I guess it waits to see if you hold the pad, double tap or release it to shift.
That or the pads go to the BCU and then the TCU/ECU? That might add some delay, but I don't know if it would be noticeable.

Has anyone cracked this code yet?
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #18
Blend_When_Entering

Drives: Whiney Dodge Charger
We have an A10 and M6 in the exact same spec. My opinion is that the A10 is faster around the track. Especially off the corner.
You will find me in the M6, because I enjoy it more and nobody is framing my lap times anyway.
Haven't had any major A10 trans issues to date, but stay right on top of fluid maint.
2023 1SS 1LE M6
2023 2SS 1LE A10
2023 ZL1 A10
See you at Willow Springs
Blend_When_Entering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:18 AM   #19
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Does the A10 give you a good amount of engine braking coming into the turns? Hard to tell in the above video. I'm wondering if the A10 cars may be a bit harder on the brakes.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #20
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Does the A10 give you a good amount of engine braking coming into the turns? Hard to tell in the above video. I'm wondering if the A10 cars may be a bit harder on the brakes.
That would depend if or how you are using the shifters? it would be like using the manual coming into the corners
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #21
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ok when in TRACK mode, the engine braking is SPOT ON. You can not paddle shift the car and get as good as results. I had a professional driver drive my car and he usually ALWAYS paddle shifts but determined that the AUTO MODE was much better than what he could achieve manually.

Typically even in the slowest of corners engine speeds are kept in the 4500-5000 RPM range. The A10 does an excellent job of giving you the lowest gear that is most desirable for the speed you are going.

Mine is programmed to shift UP at 6500 RPMs and it does that very consistently. This is BY FAR the best TRANNY I have had in ANY car that I have driven. This tranny originally co-developed by GM and FORD and was originally put in FORD TRUCKS. Because of THAT, it is a pretty stout piece just stock out of the box.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #22
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Ok when in TRACK mode, the engine braking is SPOT ON. You can not paddle shift the car and get as good as results. I had a professional driver drive my car and he usually ALWAYS paddle shifts but determined that the AUTO MODE was much better than what he could achieve manually.

Typically even in the slowest of corners engine speeds are kept in the 4500-5000 RPM range. The A10 does an excellent job of giving you the lowest gear that is most desirable for the speed you are going.

Mine is programmed to shift UP at 6500 RPMs and it does that very consistently. This is BY FAR the best TRANNY I have had in ANY car that I have driven. This tranny originally co-developed by GM and FORD and was originally put in FORD TRUCKS. Because of THAT, it is a pretty stout piece just stock out of the box.
Man that is SO KICK ASS! Good thing gm is dropping this platform. Jerks!