Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-03-2023, 07:08 PM   #169
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated, and a lot of it is correct, I definitely agree that I could do more to change my driving style, and I was attempting to do that, however, as I found out, I really do not like the idea of having to drive perfectly in order to not induce ice mode, the fact of the matter is that as I push the car, there are times where I’m going to make a mistake, and either transition too quickly due to lack of attention, or being forced into transitioning too quickly, because I have driven in to deep into the corner (this happened and I got ice mode very quickly as a result) and I really don’t think I should have to worry about mice mode because of that, it really takes the fun out of the experience for me always having that in the back of my mind and experiencing it as often as I do.

I have no doubt that this would work for other people who are more patient than I am and more dedicated I am, however, at the end of the day, this is about having fun, and unfortunately I’m not having fun anymore.

I’m not actually going to sell the car, but I am sticking with my plan of getting a C8 Z06 in a few years, at which time I may start tracking again.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:12 PM   #170
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
That sucks. I don't think it's ice mode though, it's probably trying to keep you from spinning due to brake + steering inputs. Makes sense it's less severe in the ZLE due to the OEM 3R tires having more grip.

Do you think initiating braking with less steering input could solve the issue? I know it sucks to have to adjust your driving style to suit the car, but tons of folks track these cars without incident. I do think you should have bought a ZLE to begin with, but it's a bit late for that.

Maybe it's just time to move on to a real race car. I recently saw Camaro GT4Rs on sale for $125k. I wish I could afford one! I've driven one in Automobilista 2 on my Fanatec sim rig, if that's anywhere close to what it can do IRL it's capabilities are likely far larger than anyone's balls, assuming they aren't a pro race car driver. Bonus is it still has remnants of an OEM interior, so if you can get a VIN from a wrecked Camaro and use that to register it via salvage title, it'd also be CAM-C legal.
I have to respectfully disagree, there is very little, if any, steering angle happening when this issue happens, as it happened again yesterday, I think we can all agree that the steering angle does not have to be perfectly zero 4 ice mode to not happen, and I think we can all agree that just because there is some steering angle with hard break in put, doesn’t mean the car is going to spin.

A Camaro GT4R for $125?! Wow nice, I wonder if for that price it’s been beaten to death, weren’t they $300 new? I like driving more car on the street though too, just as much as on the track
Old 09-03-2023, 08:36 PM   #171
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I have to respectfully disagree, there is very little, if any, steering angle happening when this issue happens, as it happened again yesterday, I think we can all agree that the steering angle does not have to be perfectly zero 4 ice mode to not happen, and I think we can all agree that just because there is some steering angle with hard break in put, doesn’t mean the car is going to spin.

A Camaro GT4R for $125?! Wow nice, I wonder if for that price it’s been beaten to death, weren’t they $300 new? I like driving more car on the street though too, just as much as on the track
It's really just a heavily modified Camaro, there are ways to title and register it. I'd also get a set of 200tw autox tires for it, it could run CAM-C, and it would dominate with the right setup. It was $259k, now 2 or 3 years old I guess. Out of my league in both cost and my own driving ability, but it would be the best toy ever!

On the ice mode, maybe it is, idk It's certainly giving you hard pedal for some reason, and it freaked me out enough to be the guinea pig on using the '19+ EBCM in earlier cars. It worked for me, but I do understand not having fun b/c of it, its pretty scary not to have brakes when you push the pedal.

I wouldn't assume the C8 Z is going to behave any better than a ZLE though, it has a new brake-by-wire setup that is the biggest thing I don't like about the car. A friend with a Cayman GT4 has experienced hard pedal on several occasions. That's why I suggested a race car, as the GT4R Camaro also has track-specific ABS and stability controls that are likely adjustable on the steering wheel. If you can afford a C8Z I'd just get the race car instead. Make your current ZL1 a straight line/street car instead.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #172
GunMetalGrey

I’m not as confident about getting it to be street legal in Canada, also not sure I want to jump through those hoops if they can be jumped through, also, I would have no idea where to begin in terms of maintaining this car, given the unique parts on it, and where I live is far from having any experts, are professionals when it comes to tracking cars. But I love the lightweight idea.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:52 AM   #173
GunMetalGrey

So you mentioned not being sure if the new Z06 has ice mode or any brake issues either, well I was watching the Haggerty’s three way race at Willow Springs against the Porsche GT3 RS and at 9:50 in the video they clearly mention something is wrong with the Corvettes brakes on that corner as it does not slow down the way it is to supposed and then we see and hear Randy Probst freaking out a bit… they never mentioned it again, but that sounds like ice mode to me!
Old 09-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #174
ccw

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
It's really just a heavily modified Camaro, there are ways to title and register it. I'd also get a set of 200tw autox tires for it, it could run CAM-C, and it would dominate with the right setup. It was $259k, now 2 or 3 years old I guess. Out of my league in both cost and my own driving ability, but it would be the best toy ever!
Wow, this is how false information spreads so quickly on the internet. Please do share how you would title and register a GT4.R for the street. We're listening...
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #175
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
Wow, this is how false information spreads so quickly on the internet. Please do share how you would title and register a GT4.R for the street. We're listening...
Lol, figure it out yourself.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:20 PM   #176
ccw

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Lol, figure it out yourself.
Do you even know anything about the GT4.R? It's the furthest thing from a street car. You aren't driving that thing on the street.
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 05:26 PM   #177
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
Do you even know anything about the GT4.R? It's the furthest thing from a street car. You aren't driving that thing on the street.
Do you know anything about how not to be an a$$?

Driving the car on the street is absolutely NOT the reason it needs to be registered.

But I'm not going to bother to explain either why or how to you.