Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2023, 08:51 AM   #1
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
LT1 longevity with 0w40 Supercar oil?

Last weekend I spun a rod bearing in the TTV6 LF4 on my ATS-V at Gingerman. Engine was just shy of 20k total, on its 16th HPDE day. Oil changes were no more than 3500mi or three track days, and multiple Blackstone oil analysis looked good; oil this fateful day was on its second track day with less than 800 total miles. That being said, hindsight has me admitting I probably should have been running a heavier-than-spec oil...especially given my engine had fuel mods, was tuned running E48, and made 600whp.

Live (and spend $15-20k) and learn.

When I get new engine/turbos/oil cooling system installed, I'm likely to take everything back to stock for warranty purposes. Right now planning on Amsoil Signature 5w30 as it is Dexos rated and spec weight...but can't help but think a heavier weight oil than 5w30 would be better on circuit.

I know the LT1 uses 0w40 Supercar oil, and has similar output to a stock LF4. I know some people have popped LT1s, just curious how engine longevity has been for those who do lots of HPDE.

Thanks...
Old 09-10-2023, 12:52 PM   #2
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Did you log oil pressure & temps, and if so, what min pressures were you seeing on track and max oil temps? Also, what tires and any aero mods?
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
just keep your LT1 stock and it should be bulletproof on 0w40. If you are tracking with extremely high ambient temps I would probably run M1 5w50 supercar.

I wouldn't try to make any correlations from your ATS-V experience to the LT1, a TTv6 (esp modded) is a totally different (more demanding) setup than an LT1.
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:21 AM   #4
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
I've been running Motul 8100 5w40 down here in Louisiana.
The oil temp gauge never gets above the 280 mark with ambient temps in the 90's.

Turbo cars always generate more heat in the oil, running a 50w for the track isn't a bad idea. I did that in my GTi when it was tuned.
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #5
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
People have blown LT1 engines at the track, including me as well as one of my instructor friends. So no, it's not bulletproof, even with 0W-40.

As to what you should use in your V6, it probably depends on what the engine (galley sizes, etc) were designed for and whether you will only use the oil in question for tracking or whether you need to use said oil for DD as well. I'm no engine expert, but 5W30 sounds like it's a bit light for tracking a V6 with a turbo.

Not sure why you mention warranty coverage in the mix of your oil considerations. I'm assuming that was voided the minute you modified the engine and changed the tune.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina
Not sure why you mention warranty coverage in the mix of your oil considerations. I'm assuming that was voided the minute you modified the engine and changed the tune.
The old engine was out of warranty anyway...I'm looking toward the future new replacement engine.

Then again, if the new long block/turbos/oil system is under warranty I'll likely just run the spec 5w30 to maintain that, albeit something like Amsoil Signature.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:16 PM   #7
CTRifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
People have blown LT1 engines at the track, including me as well as one of my instructor friends. So no, it's not bulletproof, even with 0W-40.

As to what you should use in your V6, it probably depends on what the engine (galley sizes, etc) were designed for and whether you will only use the oil in question for tracking or whether you need to use said oil for DD as well. I'm no engine expert, but 5W30 sounds like it's a bit light for tracking a V6 with a turbo.

Can you elaborate more on the engine failures and what you think the root cause was? Stock or modded? What type of track, how many laps, what was the ambient/ oil temp?
Old 09-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRifecta View Post
Can you elaborate more on the engine failures and what you think the root cause was? Stock or modded? What type of track, how many laps, what was the ambient/ oil temp?
There are past threads on this, so suggest you search via google (Camaro6 + engine failure + track). Usual failure is spun bearings. Leading two theories are:

1) Long uphill straights that result in prolonged higher rpm (I run VIR a lot and the backstraight in 4th gear definitely fits this bill). I now shift at 125mph and just short of 6000 RPM.

2)Prolonged cornering with high g loads, leading to oil starvation via lack of supply at pickup tube in the oil pan. Oil pan baffling and 10qts of oil are designed to prevent this. But who knows. I now make sure every track event I start with the oil level right up the top of the line on the dipstick. Dry sump design would presumably be a better solution.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:04 PM   #9
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
Last weekend I spun a rod bearing in the TTV6 LF4 on my ATS-V at Gingerman. Engine was just shy of 20k total, on its 16th HPDE day. Oil changes were no more than 3500mi or three track days, and multiple Blackstone oil analysis looked good; oil this fateful day was on its second track day with less than 800 total miles. That being said, hindsight has me admitting I probably should have been running a heavier-than-spec oil...especially given my engine had fuel mods, was tuned running E48, and made 600whp.

Live (and spend $15-20k) and learn.

When I get new engine/turbos/oil cooling system installed, I'm likely to take everything back to stock for warranty purposes. Right now planning on Amsoil Signature 5w30 as it is Dexos rated and spec weight...but can't help but think a heavier weight oil than 5w30 would be better on circuit.

I know the LT1 uses 0w40 Supercar oil, and has similar output to a stock LF4. I know some people have popped LT1s, just curious how engine longevity has been for those who do lots of HPDE.

Thanks...
Did you pop it in the 8-9 complex? Also 5W30 seems to be pretty thin. I run Valvoline Vr1 20W50 in my LT1 on track. Your turbo car most likely gets even hotter than mine.... I had some 5W30 in during a shake down at gingerman a few weekends ago. After just a few sessions and damn near zero street miles I could see a loss in pressure on the gauge from the oil thinning out.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #10
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I've done oil samples with 0-40 after 3 track days and 0 street miles that have come back with the oil breaking down and above average wear. I recently switched to Mobil 1 0w-50 racing oil and after seeing Blackstone results it held up a lot better, and less wear on the engine. I'm never going back to 0w-40.

For the sake of reference, I have an N/A cam/heads 17 2SS, 550whp.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:47 PM   #11
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I've done oil samples with 0-40 after 3 track days and 0 street miles that have come back with the oil breaking down and above average wear. I recently switched to Mobil 1 0w-50 racing oil and after seeing Blackstone results it held up a lot better, and less wear on the engine. I'm never going back to 0w-40.

For the sake of reference, I have an N/A cam/heads 17 2SS, 550whp.
Thanks for adding that your ride has been modded. Adding 150 HP and changing the tune may well put more demand on the oil, and therefore does not mean that correct conclusion is that 0w40 is not up to task for an OEM LT1 driven on track.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:00 PM   #12
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
There are a lot of things to look at before oil viscosity in this case! And very little relation to the LT1.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:43 PM   #13
CTRifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
There are past threads on this, so suggest you search via google (Camaro6 + engine failure + track). Usual failure is spun bearings. Leading two theories are:

1) Long uphill straights that result in prolonged higher rpm (I run VIR a lot and the backstraight in 4th gear definitely fits this bill). I now shift at 125mph and just short of 6000 RPM.

2)Prolonged cornering with high g loads, leading to oil starvation via lack of supply at pickup tube in the oil pan. Oil pan baffling and 10qts of oil are designed to prevent this. But who knows. I now make sure every track event I start with the oil level right up the top of the line on the dipstick. Dry sump design would presumably be a better solution.

Interesting thanks, will look into it more. Unfortunately the forums don't seem to be as active these days, most of the good stuff is buried in the past...