Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #127
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
All right, guys, I've been looking for a good track review of the GT PP2 and I found it. Take a read through what steveespo has to say on the car. The guy is a pretty good driver and has been track driving Mustangs for a while.

Take a read; you'll get a good sense of where the SS 1LE stands in comparison to the GT PP2 in many way, not just lap time:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...o.13542/page-4
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #128
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
All right, guys, I've been looking for a good track review of the GT PP2 and I found it. Take a read through what steveespo has to say on the car. The guy is a pretty good driver and has been track driving Mustangs for a while.

Take a read; you'll get a good sense of where the SS 1LE stands in comparison to the GT PP2 in many way, not just lap time:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/thre...o.13542/page-4

So, as expected with the rear diff. I'm curious about the camber. Almost seemed to imply that camber plates were needed to get beyond 0.5 degrees? Also said he had to "install" Auto Blip, by which I'm assuming he means rev match?

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #129
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Interesting read. So, to get it to perform like a 1LE and sustain multiple laps, you need to dump a bunch more cash into it. It already costs more. I can't believe that it doesnt have a gauge for oil temp. Our cars have a ton of cool performance monitoring choices in the digital cluster. What a dud and missed opportunity by Ford.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #130
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Pretty much says it all right here:

"...areas of improvement that I will list and address.
1) Diff cooling. With factory 75W85 fill I was only able to get 17 minutes in a 30 minute session before overheating became critical on the diff. (300 deg F). "
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #131
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Interesting read. So, to get it to perform like a 1LE and sustain multiple laps, you need to dump a bunch more cash into it. It already costs more. I can't believe that it doesnt have a gauge for oil temp. Our cars have a ton of cool performance monitoring choices in the digital cluster. What a dud and missed opportunity by Ford.
It’s just not a Camaro competitor as far as performance out of the box.

Nevertheless, a nice car and a sweet autocross platform.

Reading into the situation with the Mustang diff overheating, and transmission not far behind, it’s clear the only real solution is a cooler system. The way the diff is tucked away under the car and the exhaust wrapping around it doesn’t allow for much in a cheap, simple solution. From an OEM standpoint, the investment for coolers in the PP2, or the base Mustang in general, would like not pass the bean counters and would add a lot of complexity to packaging and assembly [line]. Look at the front and rear fascia: there’s little opportunity to integrate a [OEM-like] robust solution. The existing vehicle packaging makes it difficult to run systems for a complete cooler system - you’d have to pick one or the other, but then you get into a sticky liability predicament.

1. Diff: Ford would have to run a stand alone cooler. There is no provision in the MT82 to run a pump for a transmission cooler system and loop it into the diff like Camaro does. With that in mind, you’d then have to package a heat exchanger under the trunk area and likely develope a special rear fascia like the GT350. A fan back there, for OEM, is a durability risk. Or, you have to run the lines all the way to a front-mount exchanger in the front fascia. But 1. that’d require a bunch of brackets to mount it, a special lower fascia and wheel well liners. Or 2. the other option is to utilize most of the existing hardware used for the auto trans cooler system and splice in a pump somewhere.

2. Trans: The MT82 has no provision for an internal pump. Ford would have to run an electric pump, lines and another heat exhanger. This could be done utilizing existing hardware used for the auto trans cooler system and splicing in a pump somewhere.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #132
Cgocifer

Saw an all black PP1 2018 today in the wild. Honestly, it looked and sounded awesome. Lots of cracks and pops on deceleration. So, at least the mustangs have that going for them. Badass street car.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #133
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Saw an all black PP1 2018 today in the wild. Honestly, it looked and sounded awesome. Lots of cracks and pops on deceleration. So, at least the mustangs have that going for them. Badass street car.
I'm sure that's Ford's game plan as most of the Mustangs will live on the street. It's just nice that the 1LE can beat the Mustang without breaking a sweat or the bank.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #134
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I'm sure that's Ford's game plan as most of the Mustangs will live on the street. It's just nice that the 1LE can beat the Mustang without breaking a sweat or the bank.
Indeed. Good for bench racing bragging rights at least.

It's funny though. There is some snobbery going on in the Mustang camp. Had a couple guys over on the mustang forum bragging that their cars are premium $55k automobiles and that us Camaro guys only choose Camaros because we cant afford the more expensive Mustang which is targeted to a more sophisticated, upper class buyer. Lol

Guess they want to feel better because they know the Camaro still whoops a$$ and is the better buy.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #135
Mountain

Quote:
Indeed. Good for bench racing bragging rights at least.

It's funny though. There is some snobbery going on in the Mustang camp. Had a couple guys over on the mustang forum bragging that their cars are premium $55k automobiles and that us Camaro guys only choose Camaros because we cant afford the more expensive Mustang which is targeted to a more sophisticated, upper class buyer. Lol

Guess they want to feel better because they know the Camaro still whoops a$$ and is the better buy.
I know exactly the comment... All I can say is:
So out of touch.

We have our own oddballs too, lol
Old 08-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #136
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...-drive-review/

An interesting, if not humorous, yet disappointing review of a new Bullitt. While the article praises the new car for its affinity with the original, it absolutely bashes its driving dynamics. Yet another example of Ford protecting Shelbies as its designated track stars. Apparently by design. And thats a shame.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #137
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Especially ironic given the endless stream of comments when the 6th gen Camaro came out about how it was too expensive compared to the Mustang.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #138
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
The Bullitt will be the perfect vehicle for showing at Cars and Coffee and local car shows - before putting the questionable suspension and tires to work spinning out or crashing when leaving the event.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #139
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...-drive-review/

An interesting, if not humorous, yet disappointing review of a new Bullitt. While the article praises the new car for its affinity with the original, it absolutely bashes its driving dynamics. Yet another example of Ford protecting Shelbies as its designated track stars. Apparently by design. And thats a shame.
That review was a pure savaging. So glad I bought a PP2 for it to blow up instead.

Btw, the dealership just called and my Nightfall Gray 2SS 1LE will arrive locally on Thursday of this week, with a possible pickup day for me on Friday. fingers crossed
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #140
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
That review was a pure savaging. So glad I bought a PP2 for it to blow up instead.

Btw, the dealership just called and my Nightfall Gray 2SS 1LE will arrive locally on Thursday of this week, with a possible pickup day for me on Friday. fingers crossed
Got mine from Koons in White Marsh, they got me a good deal.