Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #29
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
How long were you on the dyno to try all these settings. Idk how many pulls it would take to work through fueling, sweeping the cam, timing, vtt, all while combating rich after flash beyond time consuming. That bill would be crazy, each of those would take 2-3 pulls each if u were good, no? Am I missing something?
Old 03-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
you can tune on the road....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #31
6spdhyperblue

That’s what I do and track
Old 03-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #32
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
I’m a Bi car racer when it comes to drag racing (where the thrills are) and road course. (Where u get dizzy around and around and around)

Altitude- move, turbos, supercharger, NOS. The only thing not to complain about altitude is that everyone else races at the same height so in reality it should not matter. On one hand you mode your car for your area and then go race at different location and you feel it. It’s either better or worse on the engine. Myself I am spoiled, Mission Raceway is 25 feet above sea level and 4200 length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
How long were you on the dyno to try all these settings. Idk how many pulls it would take to work through fueling, sweeping the cam, timing, vtt, all while combating rich after flash beyond time consuming. That bill would be crazy, each of those would take 2-3 pulls each if u were good, no? Am I missing something?
10h+ on the road and 3.5h on the dyno. Don't have the rich after flash issue.
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #33
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
No offense but your combination sucks.
While a car was still strapped to a dyno, I swapped out a 87mm throttle body to a 95mm (both ported) and picked up 20 ponies on a H/C car. I'm a big fan of the 2" over the 1 7/8 and even though the smell sucks...dump the cats, if you're gonna pick the biggest cam on the shelf then give it the parts to make it work. Porting the MSD will help and getting head work done is ALWAYS money well spent.

You've mentioned that e85 is available so once you decide on how to move forward, definitely get the sensor and tune for it...it's like liquid crack for our motors.

It seems you know what you are doing tuner wise but I would take a slice of humble pie and ask EFX, Pray or GPI to take a peek at your tune just to double check, it seems like the cheapest remedy if you overlooked something. Their are plenty of other tuners out there but I would gravitate towards the guys who are on the fast list, for obvious reasons.
I know your question was the concern about the mid range and not the top number, but racers don't live at 3500 rpm so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Good luck homie.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #34
ud03803

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Blue
From some of my experience - back in 2007-2008, I had an LQ9 408 stroker 2000 SS. It had a fairly large LS1 cam with stock LS1 heads, BBK intake, big TB, headers, etc etc. my point is my curve looked similar to yours and when the tuning guy looked at my combo, he said yeah, you need heads. I had a dip from like 3500-4500. He said that when you go WOT, the velocity of the air coming in initially stalls due to the small head ports but as the engine spins up, recovers decently. I could not afford heads at the time so I ported my stock ones myself and flattened most of that curve out and gained about 25hp up top. It wasn't perfect, but opening them up helped tremendously. Good luck.
ud03803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #35
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
While a car was still strapped to a dyno, I swapped out a 87mm throttle body to a 95mm (both ported) and picked up 20 ponies on a H/C car. I'm a big fan of the 2" over the 1 7/8 and even though the smell sucks...dump the cats, if you're gonna pick the biggest cam on the shelf then give it the parts to make it work. Porting the MSD will help and getting head work done is ALWAYS money well spent.

You've mentioned that e85 is available so once you decide on how to move forward, definitely get the sensor and tune for it...it's like liquid crack for our motors.

It seems you know what you are doing tuner wise but I would take a slice of humble pie and ask EFX, Pray or GPI to take a peek at your tune just to double check, it seems like the cheapest remedy if you overlooked something. Their are plenty of other tuners out there but I would gravitate towards the guys who are on the fast list, for obvious reasons.
I know your question was the concern about the mid range and not the top number, but racers don't live at 3500 rpm so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Good luck homie.
Good to have feedback. I agree my build is not perfect. In my case a 103mm TB would work fine then….to note my 87 mm is a Katech Ported one…

Before having to pay a tuner to tell me stuff I already know, I would prefer to spend money on parts...Who can port the MSD by the way ? If after the parts I still have issues then I'll consider it...

3500 rpm is a common rpm in AutoX...on roadcourse not so much….
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM   #36
Nabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ud03803 View Post
From some of my experience - back in 2007-2008, I had an LQ9 408 stroker 2000 SS. It had a fairly large LS1 cam with stock LS1 heads, BBK intake, big TB, headers, etc etc. my point is my curve looked similar to yours and when the tuning guy looked at my combo, he said yeah, you need heads. I had a dip from like 3500-4500. He said that when you go WOT, the velocity of the air coming in initially stalls due to the small head ports but as the engine spins up, recovers decently. I could not afford heads at the time so I ported my stock ones myself and flattened most of that curve out and gained about 25hp up top. It wasn't perfect, but opening them up helped tremendously. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback !
Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #37
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #38
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post
Good to have feedback. I agree my build is not perfect. In my case a 103mm TB would work fine then….to note my 87 mm is a Katech Ported one…

Before having to pay a tuner to tell me stuff I already know, I would prefer to spend money on parts...Who can port the MSD by the way ? If after the parts I still have issues then I'll consider it...

3500 rpm is a common rpm in AutoX...on roadcourse not so much….
MSD is easy to port, I found smooth round files the most useful. Pray is working at extending the internal ports on his facebook pages, the port exit is where the manifold is glued and to be honest I'd like to fill it with something to make the transition smooth. Maybe two part epoxy. I used black silicone years ago and it is still there.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #39
Nabush

Quote:

BTW where can I find a 95mm ported TB ? Or should I go 103mm ?
Old 03-24-2020, 11:23 PM   #40
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabush View Post
BTW where can I find a 95mm ported TB ? Or should I go 103mm ?
I bought a ported 95 from a vendor but I'm not happy with it so I can't help you on where to go/not go.
The testing we did on my motor showed no gain going from a 95 to the 103. I made 705 at the crank just for reference.
I ported my own MSD also, watched a couple of videos and picked up a couple die grinder bits then went to town. The Holley Hi ram is the new buzz word but the MSD does hold its own up to 7k rpm, it leaks like a bitch so rtv that sucker when you're done.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #41
Nabush

Quote:
I bought a ported 95 from a vendor but I'm not happy with it so I can't help you on where to go/not go.
The testing we did on my motor showed no gain going from a 95 to the 103. I made 705 at the crank just for reference.
I ported my own MSD also, watched a couple of videos and picked up a couple die grinder bits then went to town. The Holley Hi ram is the new buzz word but the MSD does hold its own up to 7k rpm, it leaks like a bitch so rtv that sucker when you're done.
To make 705 crank you probably are stroked to 7L (427) right ?
My interrogation is will a 95mm non ported be better than a ported 87mm ? The 103mm are expensive also, at $650....

I'll take a look at porting the MSD...thanks. When you say it leaks, where ?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #42
6spdhyperblue

It says stock bottom end in his sig.