Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #57
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Here's a new vid of stock C8 Z51. The guy calls himself an average driver, but he is being modest.

Good example of effective car control and he makes it look very smooth (and fast). I will refrain from commenting on out fave subject of under vs oversteer, but assuming we know one from the other: the answer should be rather obvious watching a full vid

He doesn't reveal his fastest lap, but does mention 1:32 as an example when reviewing PDR functionality (which he loves). Not very many lap times recorded for this venue in our forum (rather surprisingly), but he seems faster than a fastest SS 1LE recorded lap on 305/325 NT01s. Food for thought.

Anyway, a fun vid. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiY...bn-Np-pp0s4n1Q

Go to Videos and then launch "Corvette Battles...)
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #58
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
It sounds like you set your mind on these upcoming Z51s
btw, 1:32 at where? Big Willow? If so I think a stock 1LE did 1:28 there
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #59
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
It sounds like you set your mind on these upcoming Z51s
btw, 1:32 at where? Big Willow? If so I think a stock 1LE did 1:28 there
A stock ZL1 1LE did 1:28 there. An SS 1LE did a 32 on 305/325 NT1s and motor/exhaust mods. Easy peasy mod for a C8 is to swap 4S stockers for Cup2s and likely gain 2 seconds.

As far as me setting my mind on the C8: not really, but the guy who tracks his cars and posted this vid sure did. He traded his brand new GT500 for it and it seems he is not regretting it one little bit

Anyhow, what this vid shows, is exactly what Randy Pobst commented on: an average driver will spin this car easily in high speed sweepers due to excessive off throttle mid corner oversteer. Hence his suggestion regarding changing elsd calibration. And sure as heck he is right. Let's hope GM listens to him, just as they did after his SS 1LE run at Laguna about overly tippy throttle.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #60
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
A stock ZL1 1LE did 1:28 there. An SS 1LE did a 32 on 305/325 NT1s and motor/exhaust mods. Easy peasy mod for a C8 is to swap 4S stockers for Cup2s and likely gain 2 seconds.

As far as me setting my mind on the C8: not really, but the guy who tracks his cars and posted this vid sure did. He traded his brand new GT500 for it and it seems he is not regretting it one little bit

Anyhow, what this vid shows, is exactly what Randy Pobst commented on: an average driver will spin this car easily in high speed sweepers due to excessive off throttle mid corner oversteer. Hence his suggestion regarding changing elsd calibration. And sure as heck he is right. Let's hope GM listens to him, just as they did after his SS 1LE run at Laguna about overly tippy throttle.

Cheers!
Those lap times sound wayy off to me since I know the C7 GS and ZL1 did 1:26 there (very identical lap times) and stock SS 1LE did 1:28 ..heck even a guy from S2000 I have seen some years ago did 1:29 with NA power, some aero and suspension mods (NT01 tires). We just don't know what Randy could do there with the C8 at the same venue but I am guessing something like 1:27-1:28 or maybe a bit slower due to OEM tires like I said this is my guesstimate figure by analyzing other lap times and cross referencing

I have seen the videos on MotorTrend on demand a few years ago too.. so I wouldn't be surprised if a ZLE could do little better (say 1:25ish)
Here you can check out yourself:
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs

Last edited by glamcem; 04-08-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #61
TrackClub

Quote:
Those lap times sound wayy off to me since I know the C7 GS and ZL1 did 1:26 there (very identical lap times) and stock SS 1LE did 1:28 ..heck even a guy from S2000 I have seen some years ago did 1:29 with NA power, some aero and suspension mods (NT01 tires). We just don't know what Randy could do there with the C8 at the same venue but I am guessing something like 1:27-1:28 or maybe a bit slower due to OEM tires like I said this is my guesstimate figure by analyzing other lap times and cross referencing

I have seen the videos on MotorTrend on demand a few years ago too.. so I wouldn't be surprised if a ZLE could do little better (say 1:25ish)
Here you can check out yourself:
https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs
Agree fully. Not many data points posted in our Fast Laps, so it is what it is. And we dont know what was the C8 guy's best lap either. Nor who drove the 1le, the zl1 or the gs in the Fastest Laps website. Ditto the 350R which scored idential lap to the 1le. Etc.
Those cars could have been stock, or could have been modded. Who knows. Muddy picture this at best. We need Randy to get out there and do a lap Regardless, the vid is a good representation of the car's handling traits imo. Exactly what Randy was talking about. Cheers!

NB i still prefer an SS 1LE for my money - hands down
Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 AM   #62
glamcem

Quote:
Agree fully. Not many data points posted in our Fast Laps, so it is what it is. And we dont know what was the C8 guy's best lap either. Nor who drove the 1le, the zl1 or the gs in the Fastest Laps website. Ditto the 350R which scored idential lap to the 1le. Etc.
Those cars could have been stock, or could have been modded. Who knows. Muddy picture this at best. We need Randy to get out there and do a lap Regardless, the vid is a good representation of the car's handling traits imo. Exactly what Randy was talking about. Cheers!

NB i still prefer an SS 1LE for my money - hands down
Most of them driven by Randy (GT350R, ZL1, 1LE, C7 GS, Carrera S) sometimes they don't do good job on updating information on that website. IIRC, on the day they tested the GT350R it was a rather hot day, it should be at least a second faster than an SS 1LE (like in Laguna Seca).. they mention SS 1LE lap time here
https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-...le-of-200-mph/

. And yes, I also preferred an SS 1LE (after careful consideration of a ZLE) ..mainly because of the weight and NA power.. call me crazy but I also considered a turbo Camaro but didn't feel like downgrading from the earlier model to shave save 300lbs
Old 04-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #63
TrackClub

Quote:
Most of them driven by Randy (GT350R, ZL1, 1LE, C7 GS, Carrera S) sometimes they don't do good job on updating information on that website. IIRC, on the day they tested the GT350R it was a rather hot day, it should be at least a second faster than an SS 1LE (like in Laguna Seca).. they mention SS 1LE lap time here

. And yes, I also preferred an SS 1LE (after careful consideration of a ZLE) ..mainly because of the weight and NA power.. call me crazy but I also considered a turbo Camaro but didn't feel like downgrading from the earlier model to shave save 300lbs
Yep, the 1le still checks off all the sweet spots for me incl value for money (by a huge margin).
I guess we will have to wait for VIR and Laguna mag tests to see how the C8 stacks up "apples to apples". The only reliable comparo right now (imo) would be the Ring time, which is virtually identical to a ZL1. Time will tell. Cheers!
Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 AM   #64
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

I guess that a base Camaro ZL1 would be able to beat on the track the new base Shelby GT500 and the C8 Z51, and probably an experienced driver in a C7 GS or 6th gen SS1LE would be able to keep up with both the GT500 and the C8 Z51
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 04-14-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #65
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something but where do they mention the ss 1le's lap time there?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #66
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Cheers!
Did they change something on later ss 1le's throttle response after Randys imput at LS?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #67
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Did they change something on later ss 1le's throttle response after Randys imput at LS?
Yes, GM made the throttle more linear in Track mode as a result of Randy comments.

PS i usually go to fastestlaps.com for laptimes by venue.
Also, this is another good source. None of them are perfect, but they do give a general idea how various cars compare.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/
Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #68
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but where do they mention the ss 1le's lap time there?
Hmm I think I accidentally added a wrong link I remember watching the MTOD episodes and most of this information can be found on fastestlaps.com as mentioned.

See below

Old 04-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #69
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hmm I think I accidentally added a wrong link I remember watching the MTOD episodes and most of this information can be found on fastestlaps.com as mentioned.

See below

Yes is amazing to see that the SS1LE matched the lap times of the Shelby GT350R which rides on cup tires compared to the Camaro's street summer tires. I believe that the Camaro has a superior platform/suspension: the Alpha.
I wonder why no car magazine dared to compare both.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:38 AM   #70
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Yes is amazing to see that the SS1LE matched the lap times of the Shelby GT350R which rides on cup tires compared to the Camaro's street summer tires. I believe that the Camaro has a superior platform/suspension: the Alpha.
I wonder why no car magazine dared to compare both.
Agreed. To be fair though, on the day compared the GT350R to ZL1 at the big Willow, ZL1 was about 1.5 seconds slower than its previous lap time (it did 1:26 something previously) since it was a hot day. So there may be some disadvantage due to track conditions..so there's that. Typically GT350R should be at least 1-1.5 seconds faster but like you said tires alone should be accountable for at least 1 second..so to me there's no better value than SS 1LE if you consider all that. Gosh I cannot wait to take it for another track day..