Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
D2enigma

Drives: 2016 2SS
Performance Air Intake by GM for 2016 Camaro

Anyone know when this item is going to be available?
Service guy from GM dealer told me that this would be completely legal in CA since it is manufactured by GM. I can't wait to get this installed!

From the GM performance site:

BREATHE EASY
PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE
P/N 23408280 (Camaro SS with LT1 V8) / MSRP: Early 2016
Upgrade the look and performance of your 2016 Camaro with the Chevrolet Performance air intake. The entire airbox is hand constructed from aluminum and is powder coated for durability. This intake looks great under the hood. It is available for LT1 applications and reduces air intake restriction by 17% at peak airflow (350gr per second).

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...arts/2016.html
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Early spring this year it is suppose to be released so hopefully soon I'm going to do the Cai also for warranty reasons and that it is supposedly coming with a calibration unlike any Other intakes that are out.

Tuned a lot of cars so I know if there not tuned in they can put your fuel trims off over time. And with direct injection i would want it calibrated or tuned.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
I got tired or waiting so I dropped $$ down for the Mishimoto intake. With all due respect to GM they suck when it comes to accessories . It is better not to show us anything and announce they have something "due out in ...." And not have any follow up on the progress.
At this point Phasetech has a CAI ready for sale as does Mishimoto.The fact that it may or may not come with a "tune" will not be a huge deciding factor for me to wait. The tinted tails, the colored grill, ect...nothing even on the potential for these products there has to be someone in charge of this division that can "project" dates of availability..I would rather get a GM product ( even though they are just made by someone else) ...moving on
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
RobbyRocketz

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro SS Mosaic Black
Just received my Cold Air Inductions intake today in black.

This is a beautiful piece.

It IS the G.M intake, G.M just relabeled.

It dynos at 11 hp and 27 lb-ft of torque and NO tune, http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...in-30-minutes/

Fuel trims are unaffected, not sure how G.M is pulling more out of it with a tune, not too mention that this intake is $100.00 cheaper.

Keep in mind that no tune means no warranty issues.
RobbyRocketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
D2enigma

Difference is whether it is legal in CA. I've used CA I brand before and I loved it. But I didn't like the idea of having something illegal to use.
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyRocketz View Post

It dynos at 11 hp and 27 lb-ft of torque and NO tune, http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...in-30-minutes/

Fuel trims are unaffected, not sure how G.M is pulling more out of it with a tune, not too mention that this intake is $100.00 cheaper.

Still waiting for an independent dyno test...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
moonrider

Quote:

$100 cheaper? GM hasn't announced the price yet.
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:

That torque number sounds too good to be true. I can see maybe 11hp at peak but 27 lb-ft of torque...
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
That's not how it works. If GM can prove the modification caused something to go wrong then the warranty on anything associated is voided. Obviously, with this intake your chances are pretty low for having an issue.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I had a direct injection motor for 5 years a LNF I had a catch can in it from new.

My experience was this by 20000km the injectors went the engine light came on every 2000 km power was down and my head was caked in carbon sea foamed it new injectors new head new tune drove on for 33000km with out a problem. Now this was a turbo motor with full bolt ons minus a upgraded intercooler.

That said fuel trims matter on cars I used to log it was fine at first then got wacky over time don't be surprised if problems come up any NA car I did before never had a issue but the turbo with direct injection was. This could of just been bad luck but with no tune or calibration your putting parts on that we're not designed to work with the stock calibration.

Computer will compensate a bit but over time I could see a issue but only time will tell just telling my experience with direct injection. This was a 2008 cobalt SS turbo direct injection
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
GM did announce the price for it. $415. As for the release, I am willing to bet they are waiting to actually get their CARB certificate done before releasing BOTH the CARB Certified and NON-CARB certified one. CARB certification is a very long and expensive process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Still waiting for an independent dyno test...
Yeah, no kidding. While I appreciate all vendors and companies provide numbers. I take em all with a grain of salt. Even when others do it, unless they live in the same town and use the same gas as me lol. Way too many factors to effect #s.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
GM did announce the price for it. $415. As for the release, I am willing to bet they are waiting to actually get their CARB certificate done before releasing BOTH the CARB Certified and NON-CARB certified one. CARB certification is a very long and expensive process.

Yeah, no kidding. While I appreciate all vendors and companies provide numbers. I take em all with a grain of salt. Even when others do it, unless they live in the same town and use the same gas as me lol. Way too many factors to effect #s.
Exactly....holding off for now to see what the real world tests show, and even then I may not be sold.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:

I've mentioned this in another post, but that dyno chart they provided is sketchy for these reasons:
- If the new intake is really providing less restriction as advertised, the positive delta in power should be proportional to engine speed - it's not.
- The biggest torque difference is in the 3200 - 4800 RPM window... Why? MAF reading inaccurate? It's almost certainly not due to reduced intake restriction.

Without the data logs from those runs, it's hard to know exactly what's going on. I'm skeptical of that level of gain though and wonder if that will be able to be reproduced when the part is in customer hands.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #14
moonrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
GM did announce the price for it. $415.
When did they release a price and where can I see this price in writing?
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote