Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Mishimoto CAI Review "Barking from both ends"

Thought I would post my latest performance mod. I was one of the first on the "pre order" for these. All in all pretty easy install....easier than my C7/Haltech install was. I attribute that to much better install instructions (they have a video online). There are basically (3) phases ..the first being "prep" assembly of the CAI due to the fact it is shipped so it ha to be partially assembled before integration into the car..the second is the removal of the stock Air box, this takes about 10 min...lastly the install of the CAI and "chamber" that creates the cooler air and houses the actual filter.

Comments ....most importantly.. NO CEL..., the quality and thought that they put into the final product was very impressive, very well engineered. The only complaint/dig I have is the use of the "worm drive / muffler clamps" I think that while they are functional but there has to be an alternative, or make them BLACK.

Acoustic result...compelling.....what a difference when you put your foot down. Still sorting out MPG impacts (if any), I need to keep my foot out of it in order to note results. Overall perception...this is my 3rd experience with a car before and after having installed a CAI and in fairness it is hard to filter out your perception from reality...however I do notice a definite difference in "off the line" performance and throttle response...well worth the $$$ and is easily reversed....happy to discuss with anyone interested...( you might need to click on pic to see "chamber" on my Mac it looks like it is cutting it off..
Attached Images

bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Nice review! Most of the CAI's in the past was faster accelerations and of course, the noise it makes. Not sure if there's much HP but then again, if there was then it will have to be tuned since the car will run more lean.

Would you say for having the CAI is ike having 4.10 gears vs 3.73? Or even a Vitesse controller?
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Nice review! Most of the CAI's in the past was faster accelerations and of course, the noise it makes. Not sure if there's much HP but then again, if there was then it will have to be tuned since the car will run more lean.

Would you say for having the CAI is ike having 4.10 gears vs 3.73? Or even a Vitesse controller?
HECK NO BUDDY!!
Although a CAI will definetly give you about 10-15 more HP. No tune needed. The VTC is in a world of its own!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Looks good! Would love to see some same day, same car, same dyno, same fuel, before and after dyno charts!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Baywire

Drives: Future 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin383 View Post
Looks good! Would love to see some same day, same car, same dyno, same fuel, before and after dyno charts!
Usually cars with big displacements get the same results from CAI, Headers, Throttle Body Spacers and Exhaust Systems (anything that has to do with the movement of gases).

They always seem to be around 15-25hp give or take. While you aren't getting awesome power from it you get a small amount of everything from it.

Different sounds (more aggressive)
More oxygen (better eco)
Some power gains (enough to make it worth it)

It's a very good and well rounded mod for any car. It'll pay for itself in just fuel eco but I'd be surprised if you saw anything higher than 25hp from a CAI.
Baywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Looking forward to seeing some dyno results for these air intakes. One thing I don't like about installing aftermarket air intakes is that you should really recalibrate the MAF since your are altering the intake airflow, which requires a tune and impact to warranty. No CEL typically means you have not altered the airflow too much and therefore the ECU can compensate by adjusting the fuel trims. This is good but heck I ideally I would want an intake that can cram 25% more air in there, throw a CEL and require a tune. I had a Halltech intake on my 2002 Z06 and it required about 10-12% adjustment in fueling. More air equals leaner mixture so the ECU adds more fuel to compensate. I remember when I installed the CAM the duty cycle of the injectors at WoT was hitting 100%, so it was time for an injector upgrade. My pointing saying all this is to not underestimate the tune. Installing some basic bolts ons are fine since the ECU can adjust for them but once you start really modifying the airflow and fueling then I would invest in a professional tune. You will see additional gains by modifying your timing and adjusting your fuel enrichment values and the car will feel more dialed in.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
MmmCamaro

Drives: 2016 2SS White
Dyno results are posted in this thread: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435239
MmmCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Look at the size of the tube! It looks HUMUNGOUS!! lol

Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Looks like it'll be restricted quite a bit due to the TB size.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmCamaro View Post
Dyno results are posted in this thread: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435239
the 5" MAF dyno is on page 6

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=435239&page=6

Quote:

Final testing results for Camaro cold air intake

This plot shows an average of all our runs to ensure that we had consistent gains throughout. As you can see, there is no “REJECTED” stamp on this plot! Our max gains hovered right around 14.2 hp and 14 ft-lbs of torque, and our peak gains came in at 13.71 hp and 6.5 ft-lbs of torque. With the larger 5 inch MAF housing, the increased airflow really helped the engine gain power. As you can see, the 4.5 inch housing simply wasn’t up to the task.

Let’s see what our AFR’s look like.

Final testing results for Camaro cold air intake

Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
Illmaticz

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Im still debating if I should go with Mishimoto or wait on Roto-Fab. Nothing but good reviews on this. Thanks man.
Illmaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #12
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Thanks for the review @bbrown450!! We're glad that you are enjoying the intake for your SS. Loving that you color matched with our catch can kit!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #13
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

Similar in a sense of reaction time from throttle...then again... I have the controller as well
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Raybreiding

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS2
Mishimoto CAI video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
Thought I would post my latest performance mod. I was one of the first on the "pre order" for these. All in all pretty easy install....easier than my C7/Haltech install was. I attribute that to much better install instructions (they have a video online). There are basically (3) phases ..the first being "prep" assembly of the CAI due to the fact it is shipped so it ha to be partially assembled before integration into the car..the second is the removal of the stock Air box, this takes about 10 min...lastly the install of the CAI and "chamber" that creates the cooler air and houses the actual filter.

Comments ....most importantly.. NO CEL..., the quality and thought that they put into the final product was very impressive, very well engineered. The only complaint/dig I have is the use of the "worm drive / muffler clamps" I think that while they are functional but there has to be an alternative, or make them BLACK.

Acoustic result...compelling.....what a difference when you put your foot down. Still sorting out MPG impacts (if any), I need to keep my foot out of it in order to note results. Overall perception...this is my 3rd experience with a car before and after having installed a CAI and in fairness it is hard to filter out your perception from reality...however I do notice a definite difference in "off the line" performance and throttle response...well worth the $$$ and is easily reversed....happy to discuss with anyone interested...( you might need to click on pic to see "chamber" on my Mac it looks like it is cutting it off..
I thought the video had instruction on removing the factory crimp style clakmps. Did you just twist them off with the needle nose pliers?
Raybreiding is offline   Reply With Quote