Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Porting expectations

For a good shop to port my TB, IM, EM, and heads what should I expect to pay and gain?
No tune cause I want to keep my warantee.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Can't divulge price on the PTB since it was non-sponsor here, but we gained 7/8 to the wheels on a dyno before and after. This was also before the tune.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
Can't divulge price on the PTB since it was non-sponsor here, but we gained 7/8 to the wheels on a dyno before and after. This was also before the tune.
Have you dyno'd any of the others by chance?
Old 06-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Zomies

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS & GSX-S1000
If you port the cylinder heads you will need a tune. Even without a tune and just the port work you will lose your engine warranty.
Zomies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomies View Post
If you port the cylinder heads you will need a tune. Even without a tune and just the port work you will lose your engine warranty.
Voiding the warantee is only applicable to the head port, correct?
They wouldn't be able to tell unless they pulled the head, correct?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Zomies

I'm sure it would void the whole engine.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomies View Post
I'm sure it would void the whole engine.
^ Correct.

Porting heads = tune needed. Tune = warranty issues, technically.

As for porting, you can only get away with 3 parts, without voiding your warranty due absalutely not needing a tune however, if you want to MAXIMIZE the gains, of course tune it. Which are:

Throttle Body
Intake Manifold
Headers.

We do NOT have an exhaust manifold, Tri-y headers ftw.

Pros?

- Much more efficient than stock
- No one will be able to tell it is ported unless they compare it to the stock non ported part thus eliminating the risk of warranty issues, unless the part itself caused the issue which is extremely unlikely if you go with a good porter.
- Power gains, minor.
- MUCH cheaper than anything you can buy. You can have those 3 parts I listed ported half the price of any long tube headers.

Cons?

- Intake manifold on our cars and C7s, no matter the porter, will whistle. Whistling decibel will only be lower if done by a good porter and higher with a bad job. I cannot hear mine unless I have windows down and slowly accelerate past 3k rpm. If I wide open throttle, my exhaust and engine noise masks the whistle.
- Car will have a few weeks of downtime due to you sending your stock parts in UNLESS you buy used or new parts to send to porting like I did. I bought a throttle body and an intake manifold with 100 miles off of a 2015 C7 Z51.
- Power gains, minor vs major power gains of using aftermarket parts (like MSD IM, ARH headers etc but those are $$$$$)
---

Something to absolutely keep in mind about porting stuff... You aren't doing it to get 100 hp per mod. It is to increase the efficiency more so than gaining power and they work like lego blocks. Porting the TB alone won't really do much, it will help sure but when you couple it with the intake (pick your brand) - ported TB - ported IM - ported headers they all come alive TOGETHER. And 1 MAJOR advantage of porting the stock stuff... you save A LOT of money.

It is a pay what you get kind of deal... You get ARH long tubes instead of porting headers, you will gain a lot more power of the ARH LTs than porting but you also loose your warranty, loud noises etc... Pros and cons. Modding is a game that you pay to play.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
^ Correct.

As for porting, you can only get away with 3 parts, without voiding your warranty due absalutely not needing a tune however, if you want to MAXIMIZE the gains, of course tune it. Which are:

Throttle Body
Intake Manifold
Headers.

Pros?

- No one will be able to tell it is ported unless they compare it to the stock non ported part thus eliminating the risk of warranty issues, unless the part itself caused the issue which is extremely unlikely if you go with a good porter.
- Power gains, minor.
- MUCH cheaper than anything you can buy. You can have those 3 parts I listed ported half the price of any long tube headers.

Cons?

- Intake manifold on our cars and C7s, no matter the porter, will whistle. Whistling decibel will only be lower if done by a good porter and higher with a bad job. I cannot hear mine unless I have windows down and slowly accelerate past 3k rpm. If I wide open throttle, my exhaust and engine noise masks the whistle.
- Car will have a few weeks of downtime due to you sending your stock parts in UNLESS you buy used or new parts to send to porting like I did. I bought a throttle body and an intake manifold with 100 miles off of a 2015 C7 Z51.
- Power gains, minor vs major power gains of using aftermarket parts (like MSD IM, ARH headers etc but those are $$$$$)
---

Something to absolutely keep in mind about porting stuff... You aren't doing it to get 100 hp per mod. It is to increase the efficiency more so than gaining power and they work like lego blocks. Porting the TB alone won't really do much, it will help sure but when you couple it with the intake (pick your brand) - ported TB - ported IM - ported headers they all come alive TOGETHER. And 1 MAJOR advantage of porting the stock stuff... you save A LOT of money.

It is a pay what you get kind of deal... You get ARH long tubes instead of porting headers, you will gain a lot more power of the ARH LTs than porting but you also loose your warranty, loud noises etc... Pros and cons. Modding is a game that you pay to play.
Thank you
Old 06-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
Gmanuel

Drives: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
^ Correct.

Throttle Body
Intake Manifold
Headers.

Pros?

- Power gains, minor.

Cons?

---

I had read somewhere that porting our headers would not really be possible, for some reason. Have you ported yours yet, or seen any reason why it couldn't be done?
Gmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #10
Zomies

The LT1 has been around since 2014 so i'm sure there are a few companies that can port them. The thing is once you start porting the heads or even go aftermarket you should get a cam and valve springs to match. If its a light port job a stock cam should be fine but.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
Gmanuel

Drives: 2007 335i
The LT1 has been, but the Camaro uses a different headER setup than the C7. You probably thought I meant heads.
Gmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
jamminj007

Drives: 2016 Camaro Black 2SS, 69 Camaro
Porting the tri-y will minimal at best. In stock form they flow extremely well. I would wager that even changing just them out for long tube headers would net minimal gains over the factory tri-y. GM did their homework and unless you are doing major mods headers wouldn't be worth the $$$$.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #13
Zomies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanuel View Post
The LT1 has been, but the Camaro uses a different headER setup than the C7. You probably thought I meant heads.
I assumed the OP was talking about cylinder heads but maybe he was talking about headers.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #14
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I really dont see how porting of ANYTHING, really, will be of any substantial benefit for these DI engines. But this is new to me. So I may be wrong.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote