Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #29
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Driving in the rain helps you develop the senses for what the tires are doing as well as behavior at the limits, all at a much lower speed. The limit is the limit. Perhaps you can take a corner @70 when it’s dry. But it’s @30 in the wet. What happens after the limit? Oversteer or understeer. No matter if it’s wet or dry.

Some of my best Nurburgring lap times came after doing a few very wet laps. Once it dried out I was “tuned in”.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #30
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Sir, with all due respect. you have no idea wtf you are talking about.
Concur. Very polite way of saying it by the way. Respect.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #31
Barefoot Dave
Barefoot Dave

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post

Some of my best Nurburgring lap times came after doing a few very wet laps. Once it dried out I was “tuned in”.
Exactly my point why you SHOULD drive in the rain/wet/damp. Thanks for confirming what I see from students at the track, it just makes you better....or faster...what ever you are chasing.

People blame the tires when the problem is not the tires. Yes, sometimes there are some better tire options than others but you can drive a high horsepower car in the wet on almost any tires with margins of safety if you drive within your own skill level.

About skill level - Don't be afraid to have an instructor ride along for a session or two no matter what level you are.... I share rides with other instructors and always learn something when they point out something I can improve on.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:37 PM   #32
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Dave View Post
Exactly my point why you SHOULD drive in the rain/wet/damp. Thanks for confirming what I see from students at the track, it just makes you better....or faster...what ever you are chasing.

People blame the tires when the problem is not the tires. Yes, sometimes there are some better tire options than others but you can drive a high horsepower car in the wet on almost any tires with margins of safety if you drive within your own skill level.

About skill level - Don't be afraid to have an instructor ride along for a session or two no matter what level you are.... I share rides with other instructors and always learn something when they point out something I can improve on.

I make it a point to get an instructor at every new track I go to. I can get there myself, but it will take me a lot longer than someone who knows that they are doing showing me. Even at tracks I know well I have people I know to be good drivers review and give me pointers. 10ths of seconds hide in a lot of places. The more eyes looking at it, the more I can capitalize on.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:59 AM   #33
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post

I make it a point to get an instructor at every new track I go to. I can get there myself, but it will take me a lot longer than someone who knows that they are doing showing me. Even at tracks I know well I have people I know to be good drivers review and give me pointers. 10ths of seconds hide in a lot of places. The more eyes looking at it, the more I can capitalize on.
Funny, when I got cleared solo... it really didn't change much. Instructors provide awesome insight re: track lines. Also give great advice about weight-balance (esp important in these cars).

By the time I ran solo, I heard the instructors in my head anyways and knew when I was doing something wrong (or could've done something better). Def a great resource.

Like the silver SS btw ha
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:17 PM   #34
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Mainly all of the timing cues are changed as well as the racing line in the wet. Because of that I don't find it transfers that much to dry driving - for that track. I usually skip it because I am distracted by the other drivers losing control.