Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-23-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
Driv200

Drives: 2022 C8 Z51
Anyone had both? ZL1 and ZLE? Need help

Probably the oldest question on here, but I’d love to hear from someone who has had both versions of ZL1’s. I’m always track focused (time attack & open track days) and have always favored the ZLE as the better choice for me. As I see some nicely modded ZL1’s, I am asking myself if my 4-5 track weekends a year warrant the ZLE? I’m an experienced track veteran and usually enjoy my weekend car street racing and spirited drives. It’s a one car fits all for me.

Still favoring the ZLE, I’d welcome input from others who play hard with their ZL1 or ZLE.

And I want a cam with that shotgun tap tap tap sound. 😀
Thanks.
2022 Corvette C8 Z51 with mods
2024 = Always come back to ZLE. Actively Looking.
Driv200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:56 PM   #2
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Hello there!

Yeah it's a topic that comes up every 2 weeks or so... Probably best to join the shit show on the following thread:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ight=consensus

I'll save you some of the trouble though: Despite the thread title, no there is no consensus

Best of luck,

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I've been tracking my 2018 ZLE for 4 years and still learning to get more out of it, it's an amazing track car--maybe the best ever under $75K.

If you push it hard on track, you really appreciate or need the aero, suspension and better track tire options with wide 19s. Also, it just looks better IMO unless you think a standard 911 looks better than a GT3 RS :-)
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #4
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Honestly, there should be only ONE way to look at it, if you plan to take your car to the track (not drag strip) and rarely daily drive it, the 1LE is the right choice. If you plan to daily drive it, and rarely go to the track, the standard ZL1 is the right choice. They are built exactly for this. People get mislead into thinking the 1LE is a top of the line model and downplay the standard ZL1 but its the same exact model as the standard ZL1, it just has an added track package option. Both are VERY capable at the track (not drag strip).
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Honestly, there should be only ONE way to look at it, if you plan to take your car to the track (not drag strip) and rarely daily drive it, the 1LE is the right choice. If you plan to daily drive it, and rarely go to the track, the standard ZL1 is the right choice. They are built exactly for this. People get mislead into thinking the 1LE is a top of the line model and downplay the standard ZL1 but its the same exact model as the standard ZL1, it just has an added track package option. Both are VERY capable at the track (not drag strip).
This exactly. Furthermore you lose the MRC magride for the DSSV shocks. I have driven both extensively and decided on the ZL1 non 1LE. The way the 1LE always felt to me was it was one step more stiff then the ZL1 in track mode suspension setting. So you have tour, sport and track in the ZL1, and the 1LE was like one notch above that, but ALL THE TIME. RIP to your ass, spine and teeth. On ultra smooth pavement its fine, but most public roads are not like that. And I normally drive in track and find myself quickly clicking back to tour in a lot of scenarios when the roads get bumpy or wavy. Expecially smooth but wavy roads. The car will teeter front to back and make you sick. In tour the car soaks it all up and you dont even notice it.

You really need to decide if the big WANG is worth the hurt out on the roads. Unless it will live on a track, then by all means.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:10 PM   #6
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Hell if you want the look, there are several places that sell the WANG for not too bad, you can get the front dive planes from GM for cheap and buy the wheels aftermarket. You can make a clone for not nearly as much as the $7500 for the package and you get to have the MRC along with it. Thats what I would do if I really wanted the look. Oh and get the hood wrapped. I had my last car hood wrapped for $400 matte black.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
bef18ZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I'm one that would likely prefer the non 1LE, but I won't daily it. It is just a bit absurd how bad roads are (that u now notice) when in ZLE. DOT needs to do more upkeep lol But the look is just stupendous. I dunno if I could spend money making a fake ZLE, tho. I don't need the dive planes, even tho I like them, but I don't want to mess with turning it into something else. Drive both more than once if u can, and ask yourself what u want from it. I've become accustomed to the bumpy ride mostly.
bef18ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:06 PM   #8
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The ZL1 can be just as fast on the track as the ZLE. I have been on the track with regular ZL1s and it comes down to drivers, how much you want to push the tires, brakes.

The ZLE is better if you track a lot. The camber adjustments let you save the front tires with more even wear. The DSSV shocks are likely a better match to constant track use. There is more adjustability in the suspension, ie ride height. The aero and 19" wheels are better.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:51 AM   #9
Stroker548

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
We have had our ZLE for a couple weeks now. Not a track guy, but wanted the look and I hate mag ride. We were prepared for it to ride like a dump truck, but have been pleasantly surprised that it is not to bad. No worse then my empty 1 ton dually. I think the rough ride is completely blown out of proportion here. Bunch of old dudes with spinal stenosis or something. LOL.
Stroker548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #10
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker548 View Post
We have had our ZLE for a couple weeks now. Not a track guy, but wanted the look and I hate mag ride. We were prepared for it to ride like a dump truck, but have been pleasantly surprised that it is not to bad. No worse then my empty 1 ton dually. I think the rough ride is completely blown out of proportion here. Bunch of old dudes with spinal stenosis or something. LOL.
HAHAHAHA, I doubt that.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #11
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
HAHAHAHA, I doubt that.

Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #12
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
So how bad is the zle suspension? I found a killer deal on one, but I'm afraid of the suspension, and there are none around for me to ride in and test anywhere near me
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #13
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
So how bad is the zle suspension? I found a killer deal on one, but I'm afraid of the suspension, and there are none around for me to ride in and test anywhere near me
I rode in a ZLE and then ordered one. I didn’t mind the ride, because I understand it’s a street legal race car. Mine will never see a track, but it’s the car I wanted, so I ordered it. I have plenty of other vehicles if I want to go long distance. This is a bad ass car, so spend your money how you want. Now get that ZLE!
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #14
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
If you care at all how your car rides, get the ZL1 with mag ride. If you 100% don’t give 1 Shake how it rides, get the 1LE. Do you want to be stuck with a $75,000 car that you don’t like the ride quality?
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote