Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2022, 09:58 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Paul View Post
It all depends on the buyer. Some people like to see the paperwork.
In my case I usually blow them up or sink them first.
I agree that it depends on the buyer. But, we're talking about .01% or less of the buying population. And it does -nothing- to change the value of the vehicle. Lack of maintenance information might make someone say "no, thank you" and walk away versus "ok, I'll pay your price." Anyone that negotiates you down based on lack of maintenance records never cared about the records in the first place and they're playing you.

Even WITH maintenance records, a thorough inspection by a quality mechanic will trump them every time.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:12 AM   #16
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I use the Fuelly app for my vehicles. It allows me to track every fill-up, miles driven, long-term MPG, and all of my maintenance. I add the maintenance items when I do them as this timestamps the entry along with allowing me to add odometer reading and "notes" (items I used, cost, etc.). I take photos of the receipts for things I purchase in stores and I always have my purchase history for things I buy on Amazon or Walmart.com through my online account.

If you take the car to a dealership for a warranty repair, they -may- come back and ask for maintenance records if it's related to something that could have failed if it weren't maintained (your engine died in 30k miles because you never changed the oil, for example). If they ask, you can pull everything together and provide it.

The odds of you ever needing it are small, but it's also very easy to track and maintain.

I, too, use fuelly and am tracking my stuff in there and also my.chevrolet.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:21 AM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

I just logged in, selected the Camaro, scrolled down, and clicked on "All Notes". This is what I see (clearly, I'm missing the dealership service done in April 2021 for the GM "included" oil change... lol)
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2022, 11:40 AM   #18
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
OK - I've got my flame suit on for my view of things. I have owned many new vehicles over the last 3 decades. I have never taken one vehicle in for these dealer service intervals. I also never will.

I just make sure to do regular oil/fluid changes and tire rotations at a local shop I trust and I change my own air filters, cabin air filters and wiper blades. I also have had good fortune with my vehicles and none of them have had the need of much warranty work. Any warranty work I've ever needed - the need to show my maintenance records has never come up. I have saved thousands of dollars by just taking care of the vehicle myself rather than paying dealerships to do an oil changes and "inspect some stuff".

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:51 AM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
OK - I've got my flame suit on for my view of things. I have owned many new vehicles over the last 3 decades. I have never taken one vehicle in for these dealer service intervals. I also never will.

I just make sure to do regular oil/fluid changes and tire rotations at a local shop I trust and I change my own air filters, cabin air filters and wiper blades. I also have had good fortune with my vehicles and none of them have had the need of much warranty work. Any warranty work I've ever needed - the need to show my maintenance records has never come up. I have saved thousands of dollars by just taking care of the vehicle myself rather than paying dealerships to do an oil changes and "inspect some stuff".
Personally, I can't see why you'd need a flame suit for that approach as it's what MANY people use. The simple reality is that warranties generally don't cover all that much in the grand scheme. And "right to repair" laws have long been in place and putting the onus on the dealers / manufacturers to prove your (lack of / incorrect) maintenance or updates cause an issue in a lot of cases.

Fact: You pay more at a dealership for the same service you would get elsewhere, including DIY

Baked into that cost is supposed to be a deeper knowledge of your vehicle along with factory "inside information" about specific repairs that might be more difficult for a third party mechanic to accomplish. They are also supposed to be performing the work in direct relation to manufacturer-required parts so as to NOT void any warranties and their work will carry some level of guarantee as well.

Being able to have your car serviced where you bought it is also somewhat of a convenience to many, so they are willing to pay a little more for that.

I used to take my Silverado to the dealership for oil changes because their price was actually better than the speedy places AND they included a tire rotation while it was in the air - it was part of their default services programs. Since moving, it's far less convenient to get there and I now just do it all at home on each of the three vehicles. At most, I do a total of four oil changes per year now.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:30 PM   #20
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
And I have shared my view with my neighbors and pointed out a couple of good local shops as an alternate if they don't want to DIY oil changes - etc. Yet they still blindly drag their BMW, Mercedes and Cadillac SUV's to the dealership for these crazy priced service intervals. I just don't get it. What a waste of money for the product received. Some think I am the crazy one as they fear I guess that their car will blow up if they don't get it back to the dealership for it's 15K check up or whatever.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:42 PM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
And I have shared my view with my neighbors and pointed out a couple of good local shops as an alternate if they don't want to DIY oil changes - etc. Yet they still blindly drag their BMW, Mercedes and Cadillac SUV's to the dealership for these crazy priced service intervals. I just don't get it. What a waste of money for the product received. Some think I am the crazy one as they fear I guess that their car will blow up if they don't get it back to the dealership for it's 15K check up or whatever.
What does their "big picture" look like, though? You (or I) might see it as "crazy" prices, but does regularly servicing their vehicle there get them some other benefit? When you do all of your business at a dealership, and frequently trade up your vehicles, you may end up with other benefits like better trade values or similar.

As I mentioned, I agree with your overall thoughts as it lines up with my values and such as it does with lots of other folks. Not everyone has the same needs, though, and I don't fault anyone for using a dealership for their service if that works for them.

Tags
15k, dealer, service, warranty