Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2021, 10:42 PM   #1
EastHoosier

Drives: 2022 ZL1, 2018 F150 5.0
New ZL1 Owner

Some random musings from a first time ZL1 owner...
After searching for year or so, I finally found a dealer that would offer some semblance of a fair deal, on a car that didn't have a bunch of undesired options.
I drove down to Alabama from Maryland to pick it up a couple weeks ago, and I love it!

What a car!

I'm coming from a 2015 SRT 392 Challenger, and the ZL1 makes it feel like a tractor. This car feels great. The transmission/clutch/steering/handling/stability are all wonderful. Even the traction is pretty good compared to the old 275's I was used to. I can't wait for it to get warm out so I can see what this car can do with warm tires.
This might even be the first V8 I have where I won't modify the factory exhaust. It isn't exactly how I'd like it to sound, but I feel like the exhaust is almost an engineering marvel. The different sound modes in my Challenger were nowhere near as advanced.
I really appreciate that the seats go all the way back. This thing is surprisingly comfortable.

I have one issue, and it seems like the internet is familiar with it...
At a zero power decel while in 6th gear there is a regular vibration. Push the clutch in or shift to 5th and it goes away.

And then I have a few minor gripes:
The dealer must have wiped the car down with a rag they used to clean up some sand. The car was covered in little scratches. Or maybe it was the "Interior/Exterior Protection" plan that had built into the price (I think this was their nice way of doing an Additional Dealer Markup). I've been able to polish most of them out, but it's still frustrating. Picture below.

What is up with the suede? I'd definitely prefer leather. My dry hands struggle to grip the steering wheel sometimes.

No sunglasses holder.

The passenger air bag light is so bright and totally in my line of sight. I disconnected the wiring harness... hopefully it doesn't throw any codes.

This is my first Chevy, and second GM car ever. Their interior game seems to be a little behind Ford and Chrysler.

And finally, some cupholders in the doors sure would be handy!

All in all, it's pretty exciting to be driving something that is darn near a supercar.
Attached Images

EastHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:38 AM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Congrats on the ZL1.

What are you using to polish them scratches out? Can you feel them with your finger?

I think you should be able to get most of them out.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Congratulations on the ZL1 purchase. I bought these car seat pockets that match our interior and add a place for small items like sunglasses. I put one between the passenger seat and the center console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great.

The swirls should be easy to fix. You would need an orbital buffer (something like a Porter Cable) and some Advanced Swirl Remover. Or you need to find a friend with one. It wouldn't take much effort to get those swirls out. In 20 minutes, you would be good.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Your not alone disliking the material on the steering wheel. Always felt like I could not get a good grip on it. My biggest gripe about the car.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Time for some customizable carbon fiber steering wheel action: https://carbonaddons.com/collections...steering-wheel

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Congrats on the new car!

WOW those scratches are bad! No kidding about the sand on the rag!!! Hope you can get them out...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Beautiful car. Congratulations! I’d take it back to the dealer and have them get an experienced detailer to remove the scratches. You purchased a new car and it should be close to perfect.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
EastHoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Congrats on the ZL1.

What are you using to polish them scratches out? Can you feel them with your finger?

I think you should be able to get most of them out.

Fortunately I can't feel them. I'm using a Griot's polisher, orange pad, and some cleaner wax (Turtle Wax Hybrid Polish & Wax). Photo below of the trunk lid after a quick pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed
Congratulations on the ZL1 purchase. I bought these car seat pockets that match our interior and add a place for small items like sunglasses. I put one between the passenger seat and the center console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great.
Nice, thanks. They even have some with little cup holders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m
Time for some customizable carbon fiber steering wheel action: https://carbonaddons.com/collections...steering-wheel
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1
Beautiful car. Congratulations! I’d take it back to the dealer and have them get an experienced detailer to remove the scratches. You purchased a new car and it should be close to perfect.
Thanks. I complained gently about it at the dealership. They didn't care, and I honestly didn't want them touching the car any more than they had already. I was going to do some paint correction anyway...
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHoosier View Post
I was going to do some paint correction anyway...
It is always necessary.

As soon as I am interested in a car used or new, making appts to come look at it, etc., I tell them not to wash the car, and make it well known. I am on some detailing forums and I see dealers ruining paint so often..

also, good luck.. black is a full time job.

welcome and enjoy the car!
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
EastHoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
It is always necessary.

As soon as I am interested in a car used or new, making appts to come look at it, etc., I tell them not to wash the car, and make it well known. I am on some detailing forums and I see dealers ruining paint so often..

also, good luck.. black is a full time job.

welcome and enjoy the car!

Appreciate it!
Yep, lesson learned. I gave them too much credit.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #11
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHoosier View Post
Appreciate it!

Yep, lesson learned. I gave them too much credit.
Try Meguiar's 100 on the orange pad and then Meguiar's 210 on a white pad. That should really help. I had or actually still have. Similar issues with my car. I bought it used. It was dark and while I saw a bunch of swirls mark and water marks, i figured it could be polished out. The swirls went away.. some scratches are still there. I think the old owner used to take this car to a car wash (totally unbelievable). Also, the water spots went away but there is etching on the clear that I am still working to get out. I haven't figured out how.

Eventually if I can't be fixed, i might take the car to a body shop for a wet sand and re clear coated...

This paint defects really pisses me off. I am ocd about the paint on my cars.. i just really don't want to get rid of the Camaro given securing another one is probably hard and expensive right now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 02:13 AM   #12
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
There’s a YouTube video of a lengthy paint correction on a black Camaro. He shows areas where he tried various products and techniques on the paint to find the best combo thar minimized thinning and gave the best results. The car was pretty scratched up when he started. He commented on how soft the paint was and it appears.

I think this is an argument for PPF to prevent future scratches
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #13
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Damn, that is a nice wheel. But $900 and I lose the heated wheel... Hmmm....
Old 12-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #14
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Great car. One of the caveats that I have from buying from the little "two-horse town" dealerships is that they're a little rough with their stock. They either run the car through their automatic car wash, which is very harsh or they "Hand wash" with a dirty towel. Not that the big city dealerships are much better, but based on the volume, they don't suffer as much from the micro-scratches.

One day when I took delivery of a new vehicle, I noticed some small spider scratches. Waiting for them to finish prepping my vehicle, I went back to where they were detailing it and found the guy working on my car. I asked him how they get those items off, and the guy was talking about acetone and rubbing alcohol. I was tempted to walk away from the deal.

Just curious how everyone here feels about compounds "specifically designed" for black vehicles. I had a black sedan that I bought some black specific products for, but eventually wound up trading that vehicle in. I figured it's more of a marketing gimmick. https://blackcarshine.com/best-polis...or-black-cars/
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote