Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The vast majority of "Octane Boosters" dont work or dont bring the octane up as high as the label states.

As said if a person can find 100+ octane "Unleaded" at the pump you can use one of the online calculators to find out how many gallons you need to get to 93. The other option is you can run up to 15% of E85 with no issues at all. This will also raise the octane up and is way cheaper than running 100 octane unleaded race fuel.
You are correct however, we're talking about race fuel concentrates not octane boosters. Octane boosters go by points of octane. There are 10 points required to increase the octane number by 1.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Real1LE

Drives: '19 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
You are correct however, we're talking about race fuel concentrates not octane boosters. Octane boosters go by points of octane. There are 10 points required to increase the octane number by 1.
can you explain the difference between RACE fuel and Regular octane at the gas stations? as im reading comments, it sounds like 2 different things.
Real1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #17
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
The Race fuel concentrates are octane boosters. The difference is they ACTUALLY Work. The bullcrap you find in the auto parts store or gas station is a joke. It raises your octane to 91.1. the same fluid amount of torco will raise your octane to about 94.

I use Torco in the Viper when running Nitrous. 32 oz can added in. ( more than needed but it isn't hurting. I only need 22oz mixed with 91/92 octane fuel.

Torco in the 5 gallon can is the way to go. I did read in our owners manual not to add fuel additives with MMT in them. MMT is one of the main ingredients in Torco. I just looked at the "RACE GAS" concentrate. It is also MMT. For Reference... MMT is Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. If you want to read more...

Not sure why they say not to use it. Someone smarter than me may know why.

Reading and comparing the cans. Torco and RACEGAS cost about the same. As well as mix out about the same. Tomato / Tomato.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #18
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1LE View Post
can you explain the difference between RACE fuel and Regular octane at the gas stations? as im reading comments, it sounds like 2 different things.
The octane boosters you find at the auto parts stores and gas stations do what they claim to do which is raise your octane by a certain number of points. So, let’s say they claim to raise a certain amount of fuel by 4 points. That would take 91 octane to 91.4 octane. Not significant really. It takes 10 points of octane to raise say 91 to 92.

Race fuel concentrates deal in numbers of octane not points of octane. So, if a race fuel concentrate says they’ll raise your octane by 4, 91 goes to 95.

4 points = 91 to 91.4

4 numbers = 91 to 95
Old 09-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getnlwr View Post
The Race fuel concentrates are octane boosters. The difference is they ACTUALLY Work. The bullcrap you find in the auto parts store or gas station is a joke. It raises your octane to 91.1. the same fluid amount of torco will raise your octane to about 94.

I use Torco in the Viper when running Nitrous. 32 oz can added in. ( more than needed but it isn't hurting. I only need 22oz mixed with 91/92 octane fuel.

Torco in the 5 gallon can is the way to go. I did read in our owners manual not to add fuel additives with MMT in them. MMT is one of the main ingredients in Torco. I just looked at the "RACE GAS" concentrate. It is also MMT. For Reference... MMT is Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. If you want to read more...

Not sure why they say not to use it. Someone smarter than me may know why.

Reading and comparing the cans. Torco and RACEGAS cost about the same. As well as mix out about the same. Tomato / Tomato.
The only benefit to using Race Gas vs Torco or Boostane is the ease of carrying and adding it. One 16 oz can treats 8 gallons and one 32 oz can treats 16 gallons. I carry one of each depending if I’m filling half a tank or a full tank. The others measure out differently.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #20
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
Quote:
The only benefit to using Race Gas vs Torco or Boostane is the ease of carrying and adding it. One 16 oz can treats 8 gallons and one 32 oz can treats 16 gallons. I carry one of each depending if I’m filling half a tank or a full tank. The others measure out differently.

MSR makes these camping fuel containers that are very heavy duty for what they are. Meant to hold fuel and attach to a pump for a stove. They are also bright red.

I bought a few of those in 22oz size, and a 5 gallon can of Torco. Fill the 220z bottle to nearly the top. ( will actually hold 24 oz ) and it is perfect. I would keep a couple of these strapped down in the trunk next to the 15lb nitrous bottle. Worked perfect for my use. I had left over 32oz cans from the first case of just cans that I would also refill. It always worked out pretty good. I need another 5 gallon can of Torco. If I could buy it from the chem supplier by the drum I would.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #21
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I clicked the 87 button at the pump a few days ago, after 3 gallons went in. I thought did I click 93 ? Stopped the pump, and turned it back on for 93(untill full), the clerk made me nervous before I got gas, Asking are you married your car is sexy ! I laughed and walked away. Didn't tell the wife.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #22
Real1LE

Quote:
The octane boosters you find at the auto parts stores and gas stations do what they claim to do which is raise your octane by a certain number of points. So, let’s say they claim to raise a certain amount of fuel by 4 points. That would take 91 octane to 91.4 octane. Not significant really. It takes 10 points of octane to raise say 91 to 92.

Race fuel concentrates deal in numbers of octane not points of octane. So, if a race fuel concentrate says they’ll raise your octane by 4, 91 goes to 95.

4 points = 91 to 91.4

4 numbers = 91 to 95
ahh, i see. so at the track when they sell race fuel, which is crazy expensive; 100 octane is not the same as the 100 octane you can get with additives, etc.? im guessing its a "TRUE" high octane concentrate not a bunch of BS at the gas stations
Old 09-27-2019, 11:45 PM   #23
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
ahh, i see. so at the track when they sell race fuel, which is crazy expensive; 100 octane is not the same as the 100 octane you can get with additives, etc.? im guessing its a "TRUE" high octane concentrate not a bunch of BS at the gas stations
No, they should both be on par with each other. It’s really a matter of availability. I don’t have anything higher than 91 readily available so I use the race fuel concentrate to get to 95. If I had 93 or higher at the pump readily available, I wouldn’t bother with the race fuel concentrate.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #24
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
No, they should both be on par with each other. It’s really a matter of availability. I don’t have anything higher than 91 readily available so I use the race fuel concentrate to get to 95. If I had 93 or higher at the pump readily available, I wouldn’t bother with the race fuel concentrate.
Agree, same. But there should be some 76's near you that sell 100 octane race fuel, but doesn't make sense at 9.49/gallon. Easier and cheaper to continue to use the fuel concentrates.

The good and bad of living in California
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #25
Real1LE

Quote:
ohhhh ok that makes sense then. initially i thought they're 2 different things. but it seems like it all comes down to octane concentrate levels. which can be achieved with additives OR if you find it at some gas station, track, etc..

but i still have to use a calculator to get me to "93"? this way im not wasting more when the car isn't tuned for it right?. My Dealer said you can use higher octane unleaded with no issues. but the car isn't tuned for that so will that give the engine a problem? or will i simply be wasting fuel?

Thanks again guys, the feedback is great
Old 09-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #26
Real1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Agree, same. But there should be some 76's near you that sell 100 octane race fuel, but doesn't make sense at 9.49/gallon. Easier and cheaper to continue to use the fuel concentrates.

The good and bad of living in California
i've called a local 76 here in the valley, they had 105 racing fuel for $9+/gallon
Old 09-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #27
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Quote:
ohhhh ok that makes sense then. initially i thought they're 2 different things. but it seems like it all comes down to octane concentrate levels. which can be achieved with additives OR if you find it at some gas station, track, etc..

but i still have to use a calculator to get me to "93"? this way im not wasting more when the car isn't tuned for it right?. My Dealer said you can use higher octane unleaded with no issues. but the car isn't tuned for that so will that give the engine a problem? or will i simply be wasting fuel?

Thanks again guys, the feedback is great
I don’t think it’ll give the engine any problems. For me, it comes down to ease of use. No calculators, mixing outside of the car’s tank, pouring from 1 container into another one etc... 16 oz can into 8 gallons of 91 and 32 oz can to 16 gallons of 91. Yes, 95 is probably excessive for a car tuned on 93 but, why ride the edge? I’m sure it couldn’t utilize 100 but 95, perhaps.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #28
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
I don’t think it’ll give the engine any problems. For me, it comes down to ease of use. No calculators, mixing outside of the car’s tank, pouring from 1 container into another one etc... 16 oz can into 8 gallons of 91 and 32 oz can to 16 gallons of 91. Yes, 95 is probably excessive for a car tuned on 93 but, why ride the edge? I’m sure it couldn’t utilize 100 but 95, perhaps.
I tuned mine on 95... no turning back for me now ... unless I retune and pull a bit of timing ... but the POOOWWEEERRRRRR is calling me lol
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote