Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-13-2021, 03:19 AM   #1
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
[CLOSED] Convertible top operation and windows behavior

Hello,

Got a question about how the conv top operates.
In my old 2004 Saab 9-3 when I wanted top down it went down completing the motion but leaving the windows up, however if I kept button pressed all windows got down.
In Camaro first windows go down, then top and if I want to have windows up I need to put them up manually (even more sophisticated when you need to switch front/rear windows).
Now the other way around when I need the top up in Saab I just pressed button and windows were lowered a bit down (if they were up), top went up - motion complete, and then if I kept button pressed all windows went up.
In Camaro when pressing top up button first windows are rolled down, top goes up and that's it. Again I need to manually get windows up.
IMO this is not logical/useful behavior - especially top up operation. Motion should complete with windows up.
Question - is there any way to re-program the top function to have a possibility to have 2 stage motion - 1st the top (up/down), then the windows (up/down)?

Best regards,
Jarek

Last edited by Jarek; 08-17-2022 at 05:26 AM. Reason: topic closed
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
Somewhere on here there’s a thread about this. Your top is operating properly. There’s an aftermarket control unit that allows customization options for the top (single press up and down, door handle button up and down…). No options for the windows unfortunately. A few Chevy models can use a CBD plug to put the windows up automatically after the top goes up, but it’s apparently not possible with at least the 2016+ camaros. If I find that thread, I’ll post it in an edit to this post.

Edit: here is the post. I’ve searched fairly exhaustively and it seems that the auto up window isn’t possible past 2016. I thought it stopped for the whole 6th generation, but maybe I’m in luck. It really is a poor decision I think.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584102

Last edited by Blobby; 06-13-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
Drew145022

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Vert
I looked into this also u did not purchase because of this. I don’t have any problems with the top down. My fob even works from the distance I need to so the one touch would be nice but really necessary for me. However if it did do the window up motion I would have bought it right away.
Drew145022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:12 AM   #4
Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew145022 View Post
I looked into this also u did not purchase because of this. I don’t have any problems with the top down. My fob even works from the distance I need to so the one touch would be nice but really necessary for me. However if it did do the window up motion I would have bought it right away.
I emailed the obd company asking if it really works on the 2016. Seems odd that it would work for only a portion of the 6th gen.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Jarek

Thank you for the feedback.
Seems that I simply have to get used to this.

Also a bit weird that 2004 Saab has it better solved than 2017 Camaro - both cars from GM umbrella.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #6
Blobby

Jarek- I have to give you a big thank you! I didn’t realize the OBD module works for the 2016 Camaro until I re-read some of that other thread. I thought it only worked for the 5th gen. I just got confirmation from Top Down Tech that it works for the 2016 also. Unfortunately that doesn’t apply to you, but I think I’ll be placing an order.

I think it was decided on the other thread to be a safety feature not letting the windows automatically go up. Accidentally leaving people in a hot car type thing.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:30 AM   #7
Jarek

Interesting good for you Blobby

But all that makes me wonder... Currently cars are just computers on wheels (with WiFi/Android/Apple support and a lot of user settings to browse through to even setting a color of LED strips or the locks operation). I am surprised that with all that we are unable to program how the windows should operate with top motion, not only in car settings but neither with service diag/program tool if I understand correctly.

Last edited by Jarek; 06-16-2021 at 11:40 AM.