Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #29
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by activepat View Post
If I have a 1SS 1LE I don't have the Bose, correct?
Right, sorry I thought you had a Zl1 (it's on your Avatar). If you have an SS1LE then it's all 4ohms and easy peasy.

I would get these adapters though (only if you have a non-Bose)
https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/pro...eeter-adapters

Anyone reading this do not order these. GM changed the connector on the 2020. Not sure about the 2019.

Last edited by Thill444; 09-08-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #30
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
Right, sorry I thought you had a Zl1 (it's on your Avatar). If you have an SS1LE then it's all 4ohms and easy peasy.

I would get these adapters though (only if you have a non-Bose)
https://lljcustoms.com/store/ols/pro...eeter-adapters
Fixed that problem. I liked that car, too!
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #31
Thill444

Quote:
Fixed that problem. I liked that car, too!
Gotcha. I would start with the Audiofrogs. I will say the subwoofer in my car made a dramatic difference. There is like zero bass in these cars.

I am supposed to get my wiring harness for my tweeters today. I am hoping to have them installed tomorrow and will solder the connections tonight.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #32
activepat

Scratch your head on this..... I just received a pair for the doors.

In my Shelby I had a pair of PXA 200.1s that pushed the bass out of a pair of 6" kicker subs.

Thinking this will give the Focals a little boost in the SS!

Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #33
Thill444

Quote:
Scratch your head on this..... I just received a pair for the doors.

In my Shelby I had a pair of PXA 200.1s that pushed the bass out of a pair of 6" kicker subs.

Thinking this will give the Focals a little boost in the SS!
Those look really cool. Let us know how they workout.

Well I got the drivers side front tweeter installed and it was a major pain in the butt. It looks like GM changed the connector for the tweeter/mid because the one I ordered came in and I wired everything up and nope. Not even close. Won’t fit the stock harness. So then I disassembled my just soldered connectors and wires and tried to use the old connector. Wired everything up and soldered and nope. Troubleshooting and found the stock connector must have been damaged because no audio. So then I had to do it the old fashioned way and cut the factory connector off and connected up the speaker. Man it’s such a tight fit trying to cut, strip, and wire everything up. The factory cable is really short so I had to be very careful.

But got everything up and running on the drivers side. Really quick listening and A/B to the stock tweet/mid showed a noticeable improving. Clean sound, better mids, etc. It was pretty late so has to call it a day and will so the passenger side tomorrow.

Hopefully that will go smoother.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #34
Thill444

Did some A/B today after driving my son to school. Wow, it's a pretty noticeable difference with just the tweeter/mid alone. The stock speaker is very limited. The Sundown has a noticeably warmer sound with much more depth. I am definitely hearing more frequencies and there is more clarity. When I crank up the volume the stock speaker starts to break up and struggle and the Sundown just plays loud and clear.

Can't wait to swap out the other tonight

The 6.5" door woofers are on the way and I am hoping to install this weekend.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #35
Thill444

Passenger side Sundown twiddler installed. This one went much more smoothly It is such a big improvement even using the stock amplifier. Don't let anyone tell you that just dropping in speakers is a waste of time without an amp. You just need to get the right speakers (the more sensitive the better, and match the ohms).

Would giving the speakers more power improve their sound? Sure, but I am at halfway on the volume with the windows down in track mode (and a V8 engine) and I really don't need it much louder.

It's really clear now the door woofers are the weak link. Just like the stock tweeters they have almost a muffled sound and break up easy once you try to play them loud.

The Sundown SA-2.75FR v2 speakers were a direct drop in for the stock dash twiddler. Screw holes matched up perfectly to stock holes making this really straightforward.

You just really need to take your time taking everything apart not to scratch anything or break anything.

I would say so far the biggest impact was adding the subwoofer. If I did nothing else, this actually makes the stock system tolerable, but you do realize one you start swapping components how the stock speakers are just much more limited in terms of sound dynamics. They are clearly lacking and not playing the full frequency range.

In terms of cost, the Sundown twiddler was under $79 shipped (plus tax), and I did see it for $54.99 at one authorized online dealer but they were out of stock. If you did nothing else and dropped these in with a decent door woofer, it would be worth it.

Will post thoughts after the 6.5" Stevens Audio midbass drivers are installed. They should be here this weekend, I am just hoping I have time to install them
Old 09-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #36
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
It's great to get a couple new options for good drop-in speaker replacements! Glad to see that it's working out well for you. I also agree with your assessment of the stock speakers. The one thing I'll say that's sort of in their favor is that their sins are of omission: the faults they have are generally of leaving out things that should be there, rather than adding inaccurate sounds. That's generally less annoying than speakers that add lots of peaks and valleys or sound "hard" and "bright" such that you always want to turn the volume down. They do have that typical overhang that keeps them from being detailed or giving any sense of "air" and ambiance around the music being played. Still, in general the stockers are inoffensive but they leave out a lot of what's in the music.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #37
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
It's great to get a couple new options for good drop-in speaker replacements! Glad to see that it's working out well for you. I also agree with your assessment of the stock speakers. The one thing I'll say that's sort of in their favor is that their sins are of omission: the faults they have are generally of leaving out things that should be there, rather than adding inaccurate sounds. That's generally less annoying than speakers that add lots of peaks and valleys or sound "hard" and "bright" such that you always want to turn the volume down. They do have that typical overhang that keeps them from being detailed or giving any sense of "air" and ambiance around the music being played. Still, in general the stockers are inoffensive but they leave out a lot of what's in the music.
Very fair point. the stock speakers are very neutral and could be much worse for sure (I hate overly bright speakers). I can only imagine how it would sound with your Audiofrog speakers though. The more I read about Audiofrog the more impressed I am. I just wanted to spend my money on some other mods so went a little less on speakers.

I do hope to one day add an amp and DSP into the mix. But my next mod will be exhaust. Not too crazy but I like some of the options from Borla that let you keep your NPP functionality. Which is completely counter to car audio
Old 09-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #38
Thill444

Stevens MB-6 4ohm speakers installed. I’m very happy with these speakers. Even on the stock amplifier there was a big difference vs the stock speakers. They play louder, clearer, and have much better midbass. Past halfway on the volume, the stock speakers would start distorting and sounded worse the louder you played them. The Stevens Audio speakers are the opposite, they sound better the louder you play them. They really are a bargain at their price point. I have owned Hybrid Audio, JL, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, and Morels. The Morel midbass woofers were my favorite, but these are right there for me in terms of clarity and sound. They are neutral and not overly pronounced or fatiguing.

I had never heard of Stevens and I am glad some of the Diymobile audio guys recommended the brand as I am a big fan now, I am running them full range with the Sundown twiddler and the Rockford Fosgate 12” sub and am very happy with the overall sound.

Being my track car I did not want to add Dynomat everywhere so I just used some foam in the doors and some fast rings. A few pics of the speakers

I would really love to get an amp but especially DSP but I will save that for later. More mods to do!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #39
activepat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
Stevens MB-6 4ohm speakers installed. I’m very happy with these speakers. Even on the stock amplifier there was a big difference vs the stock speakers. They play louder, clearer, and have much better midbass.
Looks good! Curious what the advantage is for a 6" vs 6x9.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #40
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Looks awesome. Did you make the adapters yourself or buy from somewhere?
I'll be putting in GS690s but I also have a pair of BNIB Dayton RS180s that I want to A/B test with so looking for adapters.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #41
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRocket View Post
Looks awesome. Did you make the adapters yourself or buy from somewhere?
I'll be putting in GS690s but I also have a pair of BNIB Dayton RS180s that I want to A/B test with so looking for adapters.
These adapters are plug and play with the door speakers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #42
Thill444

Quote:
Looks good! Curious what the advantage is for a 6" vs 6x9.
No advantage, 6-6.5” speakers have more selection and because of the dedicated sub in my car, 6x9 are not really needed. If you find 6x9 speakers you like by all means use them.

Also watch the Lethal Camaro videos on removing the driver and passenger door trim on Youtube. Saved me a lot of headache because there is some trim on the top of the door you have to slide out, pop off all the metal clips, then reattach. The door actually went very smoothly, just take your time and have some good trim tools.