Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
Hey guys, first post here and I’m hoping to get some opinions and maybe help me make this decision on my next car. I apologize in advance for the long post, just trying to show I’m not a troll and explain what i am looking for.

I’ve always been a mustang guy, my first car was a 02 V6, then a 02 GT then i bought a 2012 GT brand new and that’s where i really started getting into modding my cars. It was a Paxton supercharged coyote putting down 660 to the tire back in 2013. Eventually sold that car and got the C5Z which makes 730whp that I’m trying to sell now.

I’m torn between the Camaro and the Mustang. I think both cars look great and price is very similar so that’s not really a factor. I love how easy the gen 3 coyote can make power with boost and it would definitely be the faster of the two, I’d get the 10 speed auto and go Procharger and make an easy 750 without too much worry. But i already had a coyote and also want to try something new so i started looking more into the Camaro and nothing sounds better than a cammed LS/LT, also the exhaust note in general sounds better to me. I would get the 1LE, because i really want the Recaro seats, brakes, exterior bits and the suspension is a plus but i wouldn’t be road racing the car. From the research I’ve been doing, the LT1 pistons can’t hold too much power with boost reliably, so i figured it would be a fun N/A build and make 500+. Clearly a slower car, but sounding much better and possibly more enjoyable to drive on weekends being a manual.

I guess my decision is stuck with not being the fastest (you never are) and going into a car i know i can’t make the power i want without big money and into the motor. But realistically it’s just a weekend car to drive on nice days and to car shows if I’m not working. I used to spend a lot of time in the streets of Mexico but i can’t remember the last time i went so maybe I shouldn’t be trying to make a car for that and realize I’m past that. A fbo/cammed 6th gen Camaro would be a lot of fun to enjoy on the streets.
Back in May 2019, I drove my SS and the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package (among other makes/models) trying to decide on what toy I wanted as my wife agreed we could get me one for my 50th birthday. After driving some imports over the past few years (Nissan 370Z, Lexus RC350 F-Sport, and Infiniti Q60), I found myself being drawn back to American muscle. I'll be honest, I loved the Mustang GT but the interior is awful IMO. When I drove my SS, I fell in love with EVERY single aspect of her. I know this is subjective, but that's honestly THE reason I went with the SS over the Mustang. I really don't understand why Ford does that. The interior in the Mustang is almost no different than the interior in my aunt's Focus. Way too many seams and it just looked cheap all the way down to the fake, plastic "carbon fiber" pieces.

Drive them both and get whichever puts the biggest smile on your face. That's what I did and I have absolutely no regrets. Good luck!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #16
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I noticed that, my thought process was if I’m building a 800hp mustang I’d want the auto (never thought I’d say that) to make it as fast and consistent as possible racing.

The 1LE being about 500ish would be more about driving enjoyment so i want to stick with the manual and be able to row through the gears and it’s just a fun car to enjoy on weekends.

Two different builds depending which route i take. I’m trying to talk myself into the Camaro but the lack of power is making me hesitate.
Gotcha, and I figured as much as you did describe the routes you would take with each, basically targeting and maximizing the different strengths of each platform.

Just wanted to make sure you knew. I am a N/A manual car guy myself, it doesnt even have to be fast lol!! If it has that sweet V8 note and 3 pedals, then I am a happy camper.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
John_B

Drives: 2020 WRX. 2002 C5Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Here is another thought and/or option. Get a nice nasty sounding 500-550 rwhp n/a Camaro and throw a 150 shot at it. This is basically what my 2000 SS is. It's a heads and cam 6.0 with a 150 shot. I've taken down setups with 100 plus hp more than me. The massive torque and instantaneous power that nitrous makes is hard to beat. Just a thought
That thought crossed my mind too. I can make it 500-550whp and if i start making trips to Mexico or think i need more i can add nitrous. Never was a nitrous guy but for how often I’d use it, it could be a very good option.

Thanks for the reply.
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #18
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I know, 500 hp isn't much these days! But otoh a std SS 1LE is a great all around sports car that's so well balanced and just a joy to drive right from the factory. I appreciate power but it's a lot like chasing the dragon and costs more than a drug habit too... I think a built motor 1LE would be a good balance, it'll be very close to ZL1 fast in a straight line, but less weight, more balanced, one of the best handling cars you can get... it will be very fast on the track and autox.
I’m sure its a joy to drive, i almost feel bad getting the 1LE and not racing it on a track lol but i just would never use it for that and the 1LE has all the options I’d want in a weekend toy. Its pretty crazy that I’m complaining 500hp isn’t fast enough for me.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
Back in May 2019, I drove my SS and the Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package (among other makes/models) trying to decide on what toy I wanted as my wife agreed we could get me one for my 50th birthday. After driving some imports over the past few years (Nissan 370Z, Lexus RC350 F-Sport, and Infiniti Q60), I found myself being drawn back to American muscle. I'll be honest, I loved the Mustang GT but the interior is awful IMO. When I drove my SS, I fell in love with EVERY single aspect of her. I know this is subjective, but that's honestly THE reason I went with the SS over the Mustang. I really don't understand why Ford does that. The interior in the Mustang is almost no different than the interior in my aunt's Focus. Way too many seams and it just looked cheap all the way down to the fake, plastic "carbon fiber" pieces.

Drive them both and get whichever puts the biggest smile on your face. That's what I did and I have absolutely no regrets. Good luck!

I think the interior in the Camaro is much better(without sitting/driving in them yet) The Recaro seats look better, i think the dash layout is better, the suede/Alcantara steering wheel and shift knob. Then all panels and just fit and finish just seem to be higher quality and a better all around car... i hear the visibility is awful in the Camaro tho, and i know in the 5th gen i drove it was pretty bad. Shouldn’t really be a factor for me, its not a daily driver. I daily a 2020 WRX and i love that little car.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #20
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Gotcha, and I figured as much as you did describe the routes you would take with each, basically targeting and maximizing the different strengths of each platform.

Just wanted to make sure you knew. I am a N/A manual car guy myself, it doesnt even have to be fast lol!! If it has that sweet V8 note and 3 pedals, then I am a happy camper.
To me, the sound of the Camaro is much better than the “Exotic” sounding coyote. And because i don’t really race it anymore, i think that better sound and third pedal would be more enjoyable day to day. An auto car thats 800hp is only fun when I’m racing lol
Old 05-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #21
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Honestly, I think if you're coming from a high horsepower car, a cammed 6th gen will feel slow to you. The other issue with camming a 6th gen is cost (unless you are doing the labor yourself). It will cost about the same to do a heads, cam, exhaust build on a 6th gen, as it would to just go boosted/catless and some minor fuel mods in a mustang and you'll be making over 100+whp more in the mustang. While doing an NA build is cool, it just doesn't make financial sense to in regards to $$$ per horsepower.

I think you're a great candidate for a used ZL1. Used cars are way better values than new. Yes, you risk them having been beaten on but quite honestly I think the risk is low of you getting one that's been beat to death. Buy and drive it for 6 months or more before modding it. I bet any issues that the car has will have showed up by then. And if they do show up, I'm sure whatever used ZL1 you got will still be under the factory powertrain warranty and it will be fixed (as long as it's stock). Used ZL1's in my opinion are the best bang for the buck on the market imho. They are built to handle big HP numbers and can take a beating. This is the route I would probably go if i were you instead of buying a brand new Camaro SS/Mustang GT.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #22
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Oh and if you think the LT1 sounds awesome, wait till you hear the LT4. It sounds Nasty! I agree with you on the LT motors sounding better than the Coyotes. The coyote's imho are the worst sounding v8's to have ever been made.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #23
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Honestly, I think if you're coming from a high horsepower car, a cammed 6th gen will feel slow to you. The other issue with camming a 6th gen is cost (unless you are doing the labor yourself). It will cost about the same to do a heads, cam, exhaust build on a 6th gen, as it would to just go boosted/catless and some minor fuel mods in a mustang and you'll be making over 100+whp more in the mustang. While doing an NA build is cool, it just doesn't make financial sense to in regards to $$$ per horsepower.

I think you're a great candidate for a used ZL1. Used cars are way better values than new. Yes, you risk them having been beaten on but quite honestly I think the risk is low of you getting one that's been beat to death. Buy and drive it for 6 months or more before modding it. I bet any issues that the car has will have showed up by then. And if they do show up, I'm sure whatever used ZL1 you got will still be under the factory powertrain warranty and it will be fixed (as long as it's stock). Used ZL1's in my opinion are the best bang for the buck on the market imho. They are built to handle big HP numbers and can take a beating. This is the route I would probably go if i were you instead of buying a brand new Camaro SS/Mustang GT.

I 100% agree with the cost of n/a 6th gen Camaro vs supercharged mustang, thats the dilemma lol. I would do all the labor myself, except probably the cam and if i got heads. But full exhaust, msd intake and all that stuff I’d do. I’d also do the Procharger install on a mustang with fuel. So that would literally just be buying the kit and then tune

I’m going to definitely start searching more for a lightly used ZL1. Thank you for your input, its all the thoughts I’ve been having and why i made this thread. If I’m being honest, i think a used ZL1(depending on price) vs a brand new mustang is realistically what i should be looking at if i want to go fast.

EDIT- i should also add, 0% financing is on the mustang and a big reason i want brand new, besides not wanting somebody else’s car... i have to check and see if the new Camaro are doing the same right now. Thats a big factor for me

Last edited by John_B; 05-20-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #24
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
John_B;10794088I’m going to definitely start searching more for a lightly used ZL1.
Great idea! It's the same conclusion I came to after seeing the lightly used prices of these cars. Insane to think you can own a low miles ZL1 for around $50K.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #25
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I noticed that, my thought process was if I’m building a 800hp mustang I’d want the auto (never thought I’d say that) to make it as fast and consistent as possible racing.

The 1LE being about 500ish would be more about driving enjoyment so i want to stick with the manual and be able to row through the gears and it’s just a fun car to enjoy on weekends.

Two different builds depending which route i take. I’m trying to talk myself into the Camaro but the lack of power is making me hesitate.
I mean you can make more than 500 horsepower with the camaro if you go beyond fbo. Obviously its easier and cheaper to boost the mustang than the camaro, but a pray or gpi built NA heads cam camaro making 580-600+ whp isn't a bad way to go either.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #26
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
I personally am a Chevy guy. My family has worked for GM and Allison for decades. My family is also a very strong military background. History is the reason I’ll only buy a GM product. GM supported the US war effort. Ford supported the nazi war effort. Ford was also personally awarded by Hitler. These are my reasons for which car I would buy. Could be the slowest on the lot I’m still buying a Chevy. Lol
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #27
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I mean you can make more than 500 horsepower with the camaro if you go beyond fbo. Obviously its easier and cheaper to boost the mustang than the camaro, but a pray or gpi built NA heads cam camaro making 580-600+ whp isn't a bad way to go either.
Yeah, I’d go FBO right away. Then decide how much i really want to go into this build. I don’t know if i can pick the Camaro and NOT get a cam lol so thats where i go down the rabbit hole and need to decide on n/a or boosted build and if the amount of money in a Camaro to make 550-600 is worth it vs boosting a mustang for similar money and making much more power.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #28
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Great idea! It's the same conclusion I came to after seeing the lightly used prices of these cars. Insane to think you can own a low miles ZL1 for around $50K.
The thing with a new car is the 0% financing which is great and hard to ignore. I do still have to check and see if Chevy offers it. I know the mustang does and that itself saves a bunch of money.

A used ZL1 would be the best of both worlds as far as performance goes. The sound and interior of the SS and the power of the boosted mustang. I need to sell this stupid vette