Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2021, 04:07 AM   #1
zupesterLT1
2021 Riverside Blue LT1
 
Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 16
Rear tire size choices

I have a 2021 LT1, it has the stock 8.5 inch wheel with 245 40/20 tires. I want to put wider tires on for track days. What are my choices for the rear?
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
Chrome383Z
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: McCordsville, Indiana
Posts: 79
Not much, if you want to go with stock SS sizes look for some SS wheels. Can be found in the classifieds pretty cheap. Usually take offs with tires in the 600-$1k range depending on wheel style.

If you want to go wider then SS (275) look at aftermarket or 1LE wheels.
__________________
2019 Shock 2SS. Solar TB/TC, Rotofab, ACS Splitter/Side Skirts/ZL1 Spoiler, Velgen VF5 Wheels/GY SC3
Chrome383Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
Jsreo
 
Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 278
I have 285 front and 305 rear on Heico Ff04 wheels
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
wwiiavfan
 
Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 421
Are you asking what are your tire size choices for the stock 8.5” wheels or are you planning on getting a track day specific set of wheels and tires?
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
FarmerFran

 
FarmerFran's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Camaro SS - M6
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Are you asking what are your tire size choices for the stock 8.5” wheels or are you planning on getting a track day specific set of wheels and tires?
And what track?

1320'

or

Twisties
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
LT4Greg


 
LT4Greg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zupesterLT1 View Post
I have a 2021 LT1, it has the stock 8.5 inch wheel with 245 40/20 tires. I want to put wider tires on for track days. What are my choices for the rear?
Go to Tiresize.com to compare your stock size wheel and tires with different sizes. You could probably go up to a 265/40 20 on the rear but not sure. That website has recommended tire sizes you can use with your OEM wheel size and even tells your estimated mph.
__________________
ZL1 Coupe, PDR, Exposed carbon fiber hood insert, My Link with Nav, M6 6 speed and Silver Ice Metallic. Mods done: ceramic window tint, GM Accessories Camaro floor mats and Roto-Fab CAI.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #7
zupesterLT1
2021 Riverside Blue LT1
 
Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Are you asking what are your tire size choices for the stock 8.5” wheels or are you planning on getting a track day specific set of wheels and tires?
I am looking at replacement wheels, saw 10.5 in wide ones for the rear (SS size 275/35/20. Specifically what is the largest size tire/wheel combo I can use under a stock car and still maintain the factory stance and not rub.
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
zupesterLT1
2021 Riverside Blue LT1
 
Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
And what track?

1320'

or

Twisties
Both, bought the car to have some fun. I have traction issues with the stock 245 tires.

Last edited by zupesterLT1; 01-02-2021 at 11:40 AM. Reason: misspelling
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #9
Msquared
 
Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 477
Depending on how tolerant of poke you are, you can probably go a bit wider than 10.5. However, a lot of folks in your situation have opted for 10.5" wheels front and rear with identical offset, and then use spacers up front. This allows the use of 285/30 or 295/30 tires, and you can rotate them since they are all the same dimensions. That would be a huge grip upgrade over your stock setup. If you're tolerant of a bit of "poke," you might also consider 18x11 front and rear 315/30/18 tires, which would provide a lower ride height which improves lateral weight transfer. Finally, in between those options would be a 19x10.5 or 19x11 front and rear with 305/30/19 tires.

With all that said, if you plan to run any competitive events, you should check the rules for classification. Some classes have limits on wheel/tire sizes and you wouldn't want to buy rolling stock that doesn't fit in the class you want to run in.

And let me take this opportunity to invite you to autocross with the St. Louis Region SCCA this year. We will have all our events at Family Arena this year, and this is a great way to enjoy your car in relatively cheap and safe fashion. Our schedule is still being finalized, but we usually crank the season up at the end of March. We have several 6th-gen and 5th-gen Camaros regularly competing in a couple classes, and there is always room for one more! Feel free to PM me for any info.
__________________
Matt Miller
2020 SS 1LE
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
DorsoDuroJohn
 
Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 132
Check out "CoolSS" setup on page 35. His comments and details pointed out below.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...417603&page=35

Ferrada FR3. 20x10.5" / 20x11.5"

"No spacers needed. The front 10.5" is flush, I have full turn radius, no issues at all. The rear 11.5" is just a tad past flush. My car is lowered on Eibach springs, I get a little rub in the rear on big bumps/dips when driving fast. That is with me at 220lbs and my lady at 125lbs or my son who is 170lbs. I can live with it, its not so bad. When its just me its even less rubbing. However, when I replace the tires I'm going to go with 305/25/20 in the rear instead of the 305/30/20 I have now. If your car is not lowered you will get very minimal rubbing if any at all on the most severe bumps and dips. Stretching a 295 or a cheap 305 which is more like a 295 might work as well to avoid rubbing. I have Good Year Eagle F1's all around. 285/30/20 in the front. (6th gen 1LE and ZL1 tires)"
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Msquared
 
Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
Check out "CoolSS" setup on page 35. His comments and details pointed out below.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...417603&page=35

Ferrada FR3. 20x10.5" / 20x11.5"

"No spacers needed. The front 10.5" is flush, I have full turn radius, no issues at all. The rear 11.5" is just a tad past flush. My car is lowered on Eibach springs, I get a little rub in the rear on big bumps/dips when driving fast. That is with me at 220lbs and my lady at 125lbs or my son who is 170lbs. I can live with it, its not so bad. When its just me its even less rubbing. However, when I replace the tires I'm going to go with 305/25/20 in the rear instead of the 305/30/20 I have now. If your car is not lowered you will get very minimal rubbing if any at all on the most severe bumps and dips. Stretching a 295 or a cheap 305 which is more like a 295 might work as well to avoid rubbing. I have Good Year Eagle F1's all around. 285/30/20 in the front. (6th gen 1LE and ZL1 tires)"
Not only does he not need spacers, he has too little offset in back. That's why he got poke and rubbing. With 11.5" of wheel width, he could have used 36mm offset and had the same backspacing as a stock 1LE wheel (7-2/3"). That would have tucked his tires 6mm back inside the fender and probably eliminated all rubbing with 305/30/20 tires. He might have even been able to go 2-4mm more offset - I'm not sure where the clearance limit is on the inside of the rear. He would have been better off getting rear wheels with too much offset and then using spacers to push them back out the exact right amount. The thing about going to the ragged edge of width is that offset becomes really crucial to a proper fit. I would never have a car set up with tire rub. That not only damages the tire but also whatever part it is rubbing. It's also just plain hoopty.
__________________
Matt Miller
2020 SS 1LE
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #12
wwiiavfan
 
Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Not only does he not need spacers, he has too little offset in back. That's why he got poke and rubbing. With 11.5" of wheel width, he could have used 36mm offset and had the same backspacing as a stock 1LE wheel (7-2/3"). That would have tucked his tires 6mm back inside the fender and probably eliminated all rubbing with 305/30/20 tires. He might have even been able to go 2-4mm more offset - I'm not sure where the clearance limit is on the inside of the rear. He would have been better off getting rear wheels with too much offset and then using spacers to push them back out the exact right amount. The thing about going to the ragged edge of width is that offset becomes really crucial to a proper fit. I would never have a car set up with tire rub. That not only damages the tire but also whatever part it is rubbing. It's also just plain hoopty.
Yeah I had that issue on an old 69 Firebird in high school. Everything was great until two 240lb linebackers from the football team piled in the back seat. 😜
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:48 AM   #13
zupesterLT1
2021 Riverside Blue LT1
 
Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Depending on how tolerant of poke you are, you can probably go a bit wider than 10.5. However, a lot of folks in your situation have opted for 10.5" wheels front and rear with identical offset, and then use spacers up front. This allows the use of 285/30 or 295/30 tires, and you can rotate them since they are all the same dimensions. That would be a huge grip upgrade over your stock setup. If you're tolerant of a bit of "poke," you might also consider 18x11 front and rear 315/30/18 tires, which would provide a lower ride height which improves lateral weight transfer. Finally, in between those options would be a 19x10.5 or 19x11 front and rear with 305/30/19 tires.

With all that said, if you plan to run any competitive events, you should check the rules for classification. Some classes have limits on wheel/tire sizes and you wouldn't want to buy rolling stock that doesn't fit in the class you want to run in.

And let me take this opportunity to invite you to autocross with the St. Louis Region SCCA this year. We will have all our events at Family Arena this year, and this is a great way to enjoy your car in relatively cheap and safe fashion. Our schedule is still being finalized, but we usually crank the season up at the end of March. We have several 6th-gen and 5th-gen Camaros regularly competing in a couple classes, and there is always room for one more! Feel free to PM me for any info.
sounds great, thanks for the info. and will check out the STL link. looks like exactly the kind of fun I would be interested in.
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:14 AM   #14
zupesterLT1
2021 Riverside Blue LT1
 
Drives: 2021 Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 16
This is my baby.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...unds&crop=fill
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.