Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Jnewcomer

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS2
Post HELP -Damaged exhaust control valve -Check engine on

Please help or provide feedback. Today of all days I took my 2020 Camaro SS/2 out to my work for the last time since it was 55 and sunny. I hit something on the road that ultimately turned on my Check engine light. Took the car to my local dealer to have to checked out and they informed me that one of the Exhaust control valve is smashed and that GM does not have that valve available and that I would have to purchase a complete Performance exhaust.

My gosh the Performance exhaust was only a $995 add on to the car build.

Does anyone know of any options I have other than purchase a $3500 GM exhaust?? So very frustrated. I have started to look at various after marker exhausts but very much confusing so I figured I would start here,,,
Jnewcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Turn it in to insurance... ?
Old 12-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
SilverSurfer18

Drives: 2021 1SS Camaro
Personally i would buy a used one off somebody that bought aftermarket. They usually sell pretty cheap
SilverSurfer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnewcomer View Post
Please help or provide feedback. Today of all days I took my 2020 Camaro SS/2 out to my work for the last time since it was 55 and sunny. I hit something on the road that ultimately turned on my Check engine light. Took the car to my local dealer to have to checked out and they informed me that one of the Exhaust control valve is smashed and that GM does not have that valve available and that I would have to purchase a complete Performance exhaust.

Does anyone know of any options I have other than purchase a $3500 GM exhaust?? So very frustrated. I have started to look at various after marker exhausts but very much confusing so I figured I would start here,,,
One option is to send me some cash and u can have these ones. PM me if u want them.
I am pretty sure you can order these individual off a GM parts site. Wonder if it’s just a money grab by a hungry parts/service manager.
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 12-23-2020 at 05:45 PM.
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Wow, it's no longer a bad joke to say that it looks like you need new muffler bearings!
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Jnewcomer

It appears what is damaged is call a Actuator??...WTF why didnt the dealership figure this out?....
Old 12-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:

The AFM valves on an SS have two pieces to them. There is an electronic actuator as shown by BlackbeastSS2. And there is the actual mechanical valve the is welded into the exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately the exhaust is a large single piece from the factory. If the actuator was damaged then you can buy them new or used from many sources. If the mechanical valve was damaged then your options are to buy the whole exhaust (new or used) or find a mechanical valve and have an exhaust shop weld it in. It’s possible that an aftermarket exhaust vendor sells an AFM midpipe that would be less expensive than an entire exhaust. If you choose to replace the whole exhaust then you may find an aftermarket exhaust that you like better than the OEM exhaust for much less than $3500.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It appears what is damaged is call a Actuator??...WTF why didnt the dealership figure this out?....
Sounds like they just want to take advantage of you and take your $3500. My whole exhaust setup from headers back cost less than $2500.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
Jnewcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
The AFM valves on an SS have two pieces to them. There is an electronic actuator as shown by BlackbeastSS2. And there is the actual mechanical valve the is welded into the exhaust pipe.

Unfortunately the exhaust is a large single piece from the factory. If the actuator was damaged then you can buy them new or used from many sources. If the mechanical valve was damaged then your options are to buy the whole exhaust (new or used) or find a mechanical valve and have an exhaust shop weld it in. It’s possible that an aftermarket exhaust vendor sells an AFM midpipe that would be less expensive than an entire exhaust. If you choose to replace the whole exhaust then you may find an aftermarket exhaust that you like better than the OEM exhaust for much less than $3500.
I am still sooo very confused. I took a pic of the part that is damaged and sent it to BlackbeastSS2. The part looks the same and its connected to the pipe in the middle portion of the car....
Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #10
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
I am still sooo very confused. I took a pic of the part that is damaged and sent it to BlackbeastSS2. The part looks the same and its connected to the pipe in the middle portion of the car....
It’s the right part. But as others have stated is there more damage then just one part. You might want to get a few opinions. Another dealership, exhaust shop.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Jnewcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post

Attached Images

Old 12-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #12
Jnewcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Sounds like they just want to take advantage of you and take your $3500. My whole exhaust setup from headers back cost less than $2500.
But does your car have the option to change exhaust notes :
Sport
Track
ICE/SNOW

When you had your original exhaust removed did you have any check engine light issues?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
Jnewcomer

What confuses me most is if I do go to a aftermarket full exhaust wont some these valves off my original unit be needed?. This is the piece I dont understand. Sure I can rip out the whole unit but than I would lose the ability to change modes correct and will the check engine still be on. The hard part here is that I am not auto mechanic knowledgeable on things like this but need to do something to rectify this situation and seem more lost
Old 12-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #14
Jnewcomer

no other damage than that part from what I was shown