Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
WatchThis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Meth Kit or Suspension

I'm trying to figure out which option would be more beneficial for me right now. I've got AGP's base turbos with the large intercooler and all of their fuel upgrade options on my 2010 L99. On 9psi the car made 588/593 with a Magnaflow 3" comp catback but on an otherwise completely stock car. Traction is obviously an issue but I expect the 17" Welds and 325 DR's will fix that issue.

This is my first forced induction car so I'm learning as I go and had to research the basics of what a meth kit even really is and does. From what I read it does seem beneficial, I just don't know how beneficial it would be for me at this power level. Then on the other hand, I thought about placing a decent order with BMR for some basic suspension upgrades.

Eventually, I plan on doing both of these things but for right now I'm wondering which one would be most beneficial for me to do first. What do you guys (and gals) think?

WatchThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Jared91

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/M6
No reason to keep cranking up the power if you can't get it to the ground. I'd be playing with suspension / drivetrain upgrades if it was me.
2011 Ls3. Slp TSV2300. 8PSI. 3.4 Pulley. Livernois Twin Fuel Pump. Id850 Injectors. Slp 1 3/4 headers. CAI Cold Air Intake. 3inch exhaust. V-Maxx portted throttle body. Night Fury cam. Lpe 391 gears. Fj performence tune. 643rwhp 574rwtq
Jared91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
rd beast

I agree with jared 91 its nice to get all that power bit with out suspension and drivtrain and the Wright tiers it is useless
rd beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
I would go the meth route. You know the about the additional power it'll give you, but it's also a safety net for preventing detonation. Doing the suspension is important, but with meth, you're extending longevity of the motor. What's gonna be more important to replace, a broken rear end or a broken motor?
2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Autos put the power down pretty good. I know kevin went deep 10s on stock suspension. It is up to you. Both are good. Suspension will help when you are not on the sticky tires.

And not on your list, but a good torque convertor would be what I would do.

Last edited by Unreal; 05-30-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
camarossdusk
whippled 5th gen

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
I went meth route then full suspension upgrades, not best order, but love not getting wheel hop anymore and engine is safer, I would think with turbos safer on a mild tune should be safer than the boosted guys like with a pd blower.
Whipple running 13 lbs of boost, Innovators west 8 rib with 10 percent over drive crankshaft pulley. Fore level 2 Dual pump fuel system, with duel TI auto fuel pumps, ID 1300 fuel injectors, tuned on e85. Driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft, 1400 hp half shafts, Detroit tru-trac. ls9 camshaft, CNC ported heads, with trunion and dual valve spring upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, ARP 2000 head studs, Manley stainless valves. Adjustable Bmr toe rods, trailing arms, rear adjustable sway bar, full cradle bushings, upper control arm bushings, BMR diff. bushings, bmr driveshaft safety loop.
camarossdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:48 AM   #7
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had wheel hop when I first started adding power so I did trailing arms and tie rods. Everything else stock with 17". I went deep in the 10s and no spinning but this is at the track.
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
WatchThis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared91 View Post
No reason to keep cranking up the power if you can't get it to the ground. I'd be playing with suspension / drivetrain upgrades if it was me.
I'm not too worried about trying to hook on the street on the stock pirellis, I know that's basically an uphill battle. I'm assuming the 325 DR's will solve the traction problem but wheel hop will still be a possibility. Drivetrain I'm not too terribly worried about for two reasons: 1) the autos are a little easier on drivetrain components than manuals and 2) turbos I would imagine are also a little easier considering the power isn't absolutely instant like with a blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedStealth View Post
I would go the meth route. You know the about the additional power it'll give you, but it's also a safety net for preventing detonation. Doing the suspension is important, but with meth, you're extending longevity of the motor. What's gonna be more important to replace, a broken rear end or a broken motor?
That's pretty much my train of thought as well. I like to pick my weak link in the chain and keep it the cheaper weak link and a rear end would obviously be cheaper/easier to replace than the motor itself. Like I said earlier, both meth and suspension are getting done, it's just a matter of which would be more beneficial at the current time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Autos put the power down pretty good. I know kevin went deep 10s on stock suspension. It is up to you. Both are good. Suspension will help when you are not on the sticky tires.

And not on your list, but a good torque convertor would be what I would do.
Right, and having an auto car is one reason why I'm not to concerned with drivetrain components. Suspension is in the back of my mind and basic suspension could be beneficial, I just don't think quite as beneficial as say a meth kit. I also considered a torque converter but my plan for the winter is to swap in a 6L90 and turn the boost up so that's why I kind of ruled out a torque converter for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossdusk View Post
I went meth route then full suspension upgrades, not best order, but love not getting wheel hop anymore and engine is safer, I would think with turbos safer on a mild tune should be safer than the boosted guys like with a pd blower.
I haven't experienced wheel hop as of yet but that's probably due to the fact that I haven't been to the track or tired to launch the car very hard yet either. If I drop a gear or two at any speed below bout 65-70, it just blows the tires off. I'm sure with stickier tires that can actually hook, tire hop might become a realistic issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
I had wheel hop when I first started adding power so I did trailing arms and tie rods. Everything else stock with 17". I went deep in the 10s and no spinning but this is at the track.
Yeah I haven't even put the car on the track yet and probably won't until I get my 17" and new tires in. Another thing that's keeping me somewhat standoffish about suspension is I'm not quite sure what changes to expect as far as ride comfort is concerned on the road. I don't want to stiffen the car up so that I feel every bump in the road. I don't want it to ride like my Jeep lol.

WatchThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
suspension.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
BowenSS1

Drives: She totaled it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post

Had the same issue and trailing arms were the first upgrade for suspension! It eliminated all wheel hop from my set up!
BowenSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
If your going to go with 17's no matter what you decide then if it were me, I would do the meth. Like stated, power without traction is no fun.

To be honest, I did some of my suspension work when I did the turbos, toe rods and training arms, with polyurethane bushings. So I cant tell you that I "needed" it for sure. As soon as I put on my Mickey Thompson DR's my traction issues were pretty much gone, not as good of a solution as 17's but they work so well, I am actually planning on testing them at the track this coming weekend.

I have a bunch of rear suspension stuff coming to me this week, new rear end and bushings, ect, ect, ect....I just in last two weeks added a second meth nozzle so I could up the boost past 800whp.

They both really could be done in whatever order you what. Just wanted to let you know that if you had DR's on that car you would be adding meth instead of asking about suspension.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #12
camarossdusk
whippled 5th gen

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
I didn't get wheel hop until starting going to the track more but car sticks to ground better even on the street when added bmr trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushings, adjustable sway bars.
Whipple running 13 lbs of boost, Innovators west 8 rib with 10 percent over drive crankshaft pulley. Fore level 2 Dual pump fuel system, with duel TI auto fuel pumps, ID 1300 fuel injectors, tuned on e85. Driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft, 1400 hp half shafts, Detroit tru-trac. ls9 camshaft, CNC ported heads, with trunion and dual valve spring upgrade, LS9 head gaskets, ARP 2000 head studs, Manley stainless valves. Adjustable Bmr toe rods, trailing arms, rear adjustable sway bar, full cradle bushings, upper control arm bushings, BMR diff. bushings, bmr driveshaft safety loop.
camarossdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
BowenSS1

Drives: She totaled it!
Camarossdusk this is true for me also, when it happened to me I was bolt ons only on stock tires at the track.
BowenSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I also suggest doing some suspension mods first. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me a PM/email. I'll be happy to answer any questions and help get you set up!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote