Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My Kenne Bell install...and results

Hi fellas,

Well I finally got around to installing my Kenne Bell. It's the 2.8L liquid cooled. Going onto my 100% stock LS3 with 3500 miles on it.

The install...
I've been installing the supercharger myself in my garage (well...with a little help from my son as you can see in the pics). Below are some pics of the install so far. I would be willing to bet I've got about 30 hours into this so far. I'd guess I've got another 5-10 hours to complete. Its a pretty involved build. Now that being said...this is a first time project for me so I am going very slow and taking it detailed step-by-step and those hours also include runs to auto parts store to get things. And like any project...I've had a few of the steps fight me like there is no tomorrow. If I had to do it over again, I may be able to cut the time in half. But I'm having fun with it. But there are LOTS of detailed things to do. Parts and hoses to move around. The Kenne Bell instructions are extremely good. Step by step with tons of detail. And the kit is VERY VERY complete. I am super impressed by that so far.

The results...
Update: See post #46 for the dyno results. 525 HP and 502 TQ
Update: See post #14 below for my seat-of-the-pants review. Going to hit the dyno soon. Stay tuned for more!

I'm having a ton of fun with this project!
Attached Images

Last edited by cc-rider; 05-15-2015 at 10:26 AM.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Awesome. Rare to see a KB on an LS3. Cant wait to see results. Dont get on it until it is properly dyno tuned by a reputable tuner.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
cool, good luck with the rest of the build.
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
jamesr

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss
is it a stick car cant reminder in other tread when clutch goes out you have to pull the blower first just giving alittle headsup
Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
is it a stick car cant reminder in other tread when clutch goes out you have to pull the blower first just giving alittle headsup
Huh? Not sure what you are saying here?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
Huh? Not sure what you are saying here?
I think what he is saying is if your car is a stick and still has a stock clutch its not going to last long. And when you replace it you will have to pull the blower off to get the motor/trans to tilt down far enough to get to the top bellhousing bolt because the back of the blower will hit the firewall. I think
Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
I think what he is saying is if your car is a stick and still has a stock clutch its not going to last long. And when you replace it you will have to pull the blower off to get the motor/trans to tilt down far enough to get to the top bellhousing bolt because the back of the blower will hit the firewall. I think
Ahhhhh. Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it's a stock clutch...hopefully I get a decent amount of time out of it because I don't want to take that blower off anytime soon. It's only got 3500 miles on it so I think I'll get some decent mileage out of it as long as I don't thrash too hard.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
Ahhhhh. Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it's a stock clutch...hopefully I get a decent amount of time out of it because I don't want to take that blower off anytime soon. It's only got 3500 miles on it so I think I'll get some decent mileage out of it as long as I don't thrash too hard.
Save yourself the headache and upgrade clutch now.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
cc-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Save yourself the headache and upgrade clutch now.
Yeah I hear you. Gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere. And I'll probably be running somewhere between 500-550 HP which...from my research...the stock clutch can handle as long as it's not abused.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
jamesr

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss
sorry cc did word it very. thanks bct10985 for clarifying that for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
hugoq_1le

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE/2SS
nice been thinking about going this route too.. keep us updated
Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
silverz28

Drives: 1996 Camaro Z28, 2012 2SS/RS
Gonna be awesome. Now go put some miles on that thing
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
silverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
cc-rider

Well I finally got it done and on the road. Probabaly a grand total of somewhere around 35 hours in this. Maybe even 40. But that's all in including runs to the parts store. And I also did this myself in my garage with it on jack stands. Overall, I had a ton of fun. And a big shout out to Kenne Bell for a truly complete kit down to the last nut and zip tie, and great instructions overall. Couple pics of the finished product is below.

So time for my initial seat-of-the-pants review...

INCREDIBLE!!!!

What a total blast. The power is brutal and comes on hard and fast. 1st and 2nd gear are just tire roasters whenever you want it. I could go on and on about the power....but I think everyone here already knows the type of power these things put out so I'll just leave it by saying I'm blown away by it and it's better than I expected. And the car looks bone stock. I pity the poor bastard who rolls up on me with a Mustang with their CAI, loud exhaust, and lowering springs thinking they are going to blow my doors off. LOL!

I'm using the stock Kenne Bell tune. Car started right up on the first turn of the key and idled perfect after about 2 seconds. All start ups are dead nuts on after the first one. Drivability is really good. Some small stumbles under lugging load but those seem to get better every time I go out so I think the adaptive leaning may be working here? Don't know. But overall drivability is very good. I don't have any data logging set up yet so I have no ideas about IAT's or anything like that. I got out of the car after a couple of good boost pulls through 1and 2 and the blower was only warm to the touch. This has the new Kenne Bell "Big Gun" intercooler in it. I really don't have any conclusive evidence of anything regarding IAT's at this point. But I'll keep you updated on it. So far, it seems great. No power reduction that I can detect after a few boost pulls.

And that sound the Kenne Bell twin screw makes...it's a primal wailing scream like the gates of hell were cracked open. Love that sound. It's actually very quiet until you get into it and the RPM's get going. Then it starts to let off that incredible whine. I know some hate it...some love it. It's personal preference. But I love it...

I plan to hit the dyno sometime soon and will provide the results.
Attached Images

Last edited by cc-rider; 04-23-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #14
cc-rider

Pic
Attached Images