Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
CountryTom

Drives: 2017 ZL1 - Nightfall Gray Metallic
OP/all - I’d found this thread bc havjng the same issue on track only (w some streetvexamples but less profound. Was just posted in a Camaro 1LE FB group. Can anyone post the full TSB? I posted this in the thread above as well.

###

I’d like to share a little message brought to me by someone smarter than myself. LT4 guys, pay attention. If you’re anywhere near the Detroit area, let me know, we’ll be doing a bunch of them.

Alan,
FYI… ICHE purge tool bulletin which is published to dealers - 18-NA-291 TSB
You will want to perform this to all Camaro w/LT4’s. (including your car)

SO, this bulletin is put out to get air out of the stock intercooler circuit. If any aeration has occurred, intercooler temps could spike causing premature spark retardation.
CountryTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
I would just leave the car in drive which is the fastest mode. Manually shifting the A-10 is not ideal for shift times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
If it’s in sport or track, just leave in in Auto and give the throttle a quick blip to WOT to activate performance shift mode. It should stay in the ideal gear for long enough until the race starts.
No way I would be trying to flip between manual and auto. Just a recipe for screwing up a race. The blip lasts long enough to get to the start line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryTom View Post
OP/all - I’d found this thread bc havjng the same issue on track only (w some streetvexamples but less profound. Was just posted in a Camaro 1LE FB group. Can anyone post the full TSB? I posted this in the thread above as well.

###

I’d like to share a little message brought to me by someone smarter than myself. LT4 guys, pay attention. If you’re anywhere near the Detroit area, let me know, we’ll be doing a bunch of them.

Alan,
FYI… ICHE purge tool bulletin which is published to dealers - 18-NA-291 TSB
You will want to perform this to all Camaro w/LT4’s. (including your car)

SO, this bulletin is put out to get air out of the stock intercooler circuit. If any aeration has occurred, intercooler temps could spike causing premature spark retardation.
Just a little off-topic but thanks for the share. The pump cavatates and shuts down which stops flow and temps rise to the point timing is pulled.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #17
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Us A8 SS guys hold the gear by using manual mode then move the shifter over to auto after going wot all the time. It works well and I am highly doubtful it is the cause of your issue. Just typical GM automatic transmission anamolies.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
fluid level is likely too high as well...not a problem until pushed at a road course environment
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #19
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I ran a road course on Friday and experienced some shifting issues as well. However, it wasn't what was documented here. I'm combing through the videos to see if it was caught. Mine was more of a harsh shift and I'm guessing it was around 4th gear. I've had the fluid level checked and the telemetry shows no overheating (or anything even close) from all the runs I did. I'll post the video if it shows anything. Haven't seen anything like it under street conditions. By the way I was shifting the transmission manually via the paddles.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #20
mblum

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

No way I would be trying to flip between manual and auto. Just a recipe for screwing up a race. The blip lasts long enough to get to the start line.
I totally agree with letting the trans do it's thing in full auto. In my situation and the type of racing we were doing it wasn't working well leaving the car in full auto as I approached the starting point of the race and keeping my RPM's at the ideal point while going 30 MPH. Once I went WOT I put the shifter in auto, which was before the 2-3 shift. The 2-3 shift never once hesitated and felt perfect, it was the 3-4 that I had trouble with and at that point the trans had been in full auto for one complete shift and 4-5 seconds.

I did have my car at a local Chevy dealership as I requested they checked the fluid level of the trans and told me it was fine. I also requested the track alignment and provided them with a photo copy of the specs from the performance supplement page of the manual. The crooks didn't break a single alignment bolt loose and charged me for an alignment. I didn't find this out until after my first track day as I chewed up the outer edge of my tires from no negative chamber. Point is I don't trust the dealer that did the work as they screwed me on the alignment and probably did the same on the trans fluid level check.
mblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
I totally agree with letting the trans do it's thing in full auto. In my situation and the type of racing we were doing it wasn't working well leaving the car in full auto as I approached the starting point of the race and keeping my RPM's at the ideal point while going 30 MPH. Once I went WOT I put the shifter in auto, which was before the 2-3 shift. The 2-3 shift never once hesitated and felt perfect, it was the 3-4 that I had trouble with and at that point the trans had been in full auto for one complete shift and 4-5 seconds.

I did have my car at a local Chevy dealership as I requested they checked the fluid level of the trans and told me it was fine. I also requested the track alignment and provided them with a photo copy of the specs from the performance supplement page of the manual. The crooks didn't break a single alignment bolt loose and charged me for an alignment. I didn't find this out until after my first track day as I chewed up the outer edge of my tires from no negative chamber. Point is I don't trust the dealer that did the work as they screwed me on the alignment and probably did the same on the trans fluid level check.
Ahhh gotcha... and yes it's very tough to trust dealers at all. One reason I don't even give warranty much thought. So glad my 1st and only free oil change is over. We have many dealers in my area and not one is reliable.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Us A8 SS guys hold the gear by using manual mode then move the shifter over to auto after going wot all the time. It works well and I am highly doubtful it is the cause of your issue. Just typical GM automatic transmission anamolies.
That's how I do it. 50 MPH roll, manually put into 2nd gear. Punch it and slap it over into auto immediately.