Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #43
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
That's great to know I can keep a somewhat streetable camber set up and have those slicks last 4 to 6 track days still. A square set up definitely makes sense for sure.

You use Pirelli DH slicks so I assume that would be your recommendation over other options?

I see GTTrackDays.com has 19" Pirelli slicks, any reason not to go with 19" wheels except less selection of slicks?
He doesn't list inventory so I'm not sure if the size/spec list is referring to Pirelli DH slicks or another type of slick.
Was thinking of going with 305/690/19 that have a 27" diameter. Does the 690 stand for the side wall height?
Email Todd and ask him what slicks are available in that size (or even shorter if he has some) and how frequently he gets them.
I believe 19s would be an easier fit strut mod wise, but again need to defer to Provoste who has done it all, incl running 19s as his street set up.

Race rubber uses slightly different numerology vs standard. Google "race tire calculator" and you will be able to tell what a race tire compares to with standard - size wise.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:07 AM   #44
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Do you think sells better use rubber John or Todd? Never bought from Todd but I roadracer that I know who is extremely fast told me Todd's always been good
Attached Images

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #45
TrackClub

No data points on John unfortunately. Never heard any complaints about Todd. NB He tracks his nicely prepped C5Z at Rd America, amongs many of his clients.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #46
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
No data points on John unfortunately. Never heard any complaints about Todd. NB He tracks his nicely prepped C5Z at Rd America, amongs many of his clients.

Yeah dont buy from "Black Dog" race team. Threw them in the trash.
John pretty much sells to most peps out there. Usedracetrires.com is good too.
I would love to try a set of "stickers" but cannot swallow the price!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #47
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
That's great to know I can keep a somewhat streetable camber set up and have those slicks last 4 to 6 track days still. A square set up definitely makes sense for sure.

You use Pirelli DH slicks so I assume that would be your recommendation over other options?

I see GTTrackDays.com has 19" Pirelli slicks, any reason not to go with 19" wheels except less selection of slicks?
He doesn't list inventory so I'm not sure if the size/spec list is referring to Pirelli DH slicks or another type of slick.
Was thinking of going with 305/690/19 that have a 27" diameter. Does the 690 stand for the side wall height?
Gunmetal....

You're getting lots of good input and advice here. Both John and Todd sell good scrubs. All I use anymore, awesome track tires.

One thing to be aware of, I believe the Ferrari Cup Challenge series moved to 315/705's vs the 305/690's, making the 690's harder to come by this year. You might check with Todd/John on this to cfm. One of the reasons I moved to 18's later in the season last year. More scrub choices and availability in 18's.

PM me if you ever have any questions.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #48
TrackClub

There ya have it even more great data points and id agree apart from shutting the door on G3Rs youd gain access to more scrub choices, while also having access to Hoosiers etc. In 18s vs 19s.
And dont forget you could also try something like Trofeo Rs on stock 20s if wallet was too phatt

PS Nicky Bobby - agree stickers would be grand but for the price and an extra day of longevity or so they make little sense for us amateurs
Old 03-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #49
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Awesome info indeed!
I’ll be contacting them soon for sure.
Thanks for getting me on the right track, not much beats going faster for less when it comes to cars!
Gently used slicks is definitely a no brainer.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #50
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
There ya have it even more great data points and id agree apart from shutting the door on G3Rs youd gain access to more scrub choices, while also having access to Hoosiers etc. In 18s vs 19s.
And dont forget you could also try something like Trofeo Rs on stock 20s if wallet was too phatt

PS Nicky Bobby - agree stickers would be grand but for the price and an extra day of longevity or so they make little sense for us amateurs
Sticker DH versus R7 is total different story. Done sticker R7 but no way I'll pay 615 a tire for DH!!!!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #51
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Sticker DH versus R7 is total different story. Done sticker R7 but no way I'll pay 615 a tire for DH!!!!
You should see how much these things cost where i live and consider yourself lucky lol
Old 03-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #52
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
You should see how much these things cost where i live and consider yourself lucky lol
Barf
Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #53
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Do you think sells better use rubber John or Todd? Never bought from Todd but I roadracer that I know who is extremely fast told me Todd's always been good
John doesn't seem to offer any slicks in 19", perhaps that's because he doesn't sell Pirelli slicks?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #54
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Wouldn't the DH last a lot longer?
I heard front R7's cord in 1 to 2 track days due to insufficient camber.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 06-12-2019 at 05:30 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #55
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
While slicks are fun, you need to have some good experience to fully maximize them or you'll really stunt your own growth as a driver. I have no knowledge of your experience, but a few threads ago of yours it's titled "First track day" - I'm not sure if that's your first track day, ever or just with this car. If it's the latter disregard what I'm about to say and rip it.

If it's the former, i would highly encourage you to spend some time on street tires, get to know slip angles, braking techniques and the ability of both you and the car first. If you throw racing slicks on a car as a novice, yes they are awesome but you will be masking a lot of mistakes which in turn will make you slower. You'll never know the true mistakes you are making to correct them.

I spent about 4 years making the progression from MPSS > RS3 > NT01 > Hoosiers/slicks, gaining time, confidence and pace each 'graduation'. Many guys spend even more time than that. Granted, I am no pro driver but i see too many guys hop into a sticky tire before they know the characteristics of a car and go stuff it into the wall because they never learned. Just food for thought. Of course it's your car, do what ya want but be smart!
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #56
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
While slicks are fun, you need to have some good experience to fully maximize them or you'll really stunt your own growth as a driver. I have no knowledge of your experience, but a few threads ago of yours it's titled "First track day" - I'm not sure if that's your first track day, ever or just with this car. If it's the latter disregard what I'm about to say and rip it.

If it's the former, i would highly encourage you to spend some time on street tires, get to know slip angles, braking techniques and the ability of both you and the car first. If you throw racing slicks on a car as a novice, yes they are awesome but you will be masking a lot of mistakes which in turn will make you slower. You'll never know the true mistakes you are making to correct them.

I spent about 4 years making the progression from MPSS > RS3 > NT01 > Hoosiers/slicks, gaining time, confidence and pace each 'graduation'. Many guys spend even more time than that. Granted, I am no pro driver but i see too many guys hop into a sticky tire before they know the characteristics of a car and go stuff it into the wall because they never learned. Just food for thought. Of course it's your car, do what ya want but be smart!
You bet, this discussion is not for tires for this year, but potentially next year or the year after.
I also want to do the best I can with the stock/factory tires but I won't be able to be as patient as you that's for sure.
Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
coilover, dssv, track, zle