Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #29
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
This is almost exactly what I was told by the Chief Engineer for the Small Block V8 (includes LT1 and LT4). He stopped short of saying it would cause damage, but did say it would void my warranty and that there were much better ways to spend my money. I asked him about it before I bought my 2017 LT1 Vert as I approached my retirement from GM.
Do you think he will tell you “Yes, you will need it!” They will will never recommend any aftermarket parts to anyone. Why? No one wants take responsibility if something happens.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #30
Chef-j

Running catch can here. I can take this off in 5 mins if i need to go dealer. Lol
Old 01-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #31
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullpower View Post
I feel like Michael Corleone when he got back from Cuba and Tom was afraid to tell him Kay had a misscarige:

Can’t anyone give me a straight answer anymore!!
OK, that right there is pretty funny!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #32
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
LOL OP don't worry about your warranty with a catch can. Also if you track (drag racing or road tracking) then the catch can is a good idea. But if not I wouldn't bother. While the idea that DI engines are a bit oil and carbon build up challenged and deposits can accumulate is true, has anyone here had that problem yet? Chevy has spent some engineering to prevent the problem.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 AM   #33
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Running catch can here. I can take this off in 5 mins if i need to go dealer. Lol
Finally someone that gets it...LMAO!
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #34
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Do you think he will tell you “Yes, you will need it!” They will will never recommend any aftermarket parts to anyone. Why? No one wants take responsibility if something happens.
I absolutely do. He is a good friend of mine since we have worked together for many, many years.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #35
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
And that should be the move for anyone who wants to use a catch can and is not already 100% in with their dealer. As I said, most dealers could give a damn and would welcome the warranty work.

As long as there is not a tune involved there's nothing that will tell GM about the modification. But if for some reason the dealer says they'll charge you for work because you have a mod, GM will support the dealer on that. Clearly this is more likely with mods requiring a tune or otherwise detectable by reading the ECM.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #36
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Unless your car shits the bed on the road and you have to have it towed to the dealer....just saying.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #37
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Unless your car shits the bed on the road and you have to have it towed to the dealer....just saying.
Its is literally a 90 degree hose with easy fittings...

Your'e right though. The 1 in .0000000009 chance it happens lol
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #38
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Very first thing I did on my car was order a JLT Catch Can. Installation takes <10min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
I am convinced this forum is full of idiots...

"Not good for your motor"

"Could cause damage"

Its a f*cking oil seperator, not a 300 shot of nitrous. Gooooood lord some of you need help.

This x100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Catch cans have the potential to prevent your crank case ventilation from functioning properly. The ventilation removes combustion blow by gases that will condense back to gasoline in your crank case oil. Elevated crank case pressure can also blow seals.
If you drive the car in very cold climates it's inevitable that it will catch more condensation and therefore require more frequent draining. I had a catch can on my 2015 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 DI V8 and in the spring/summer/fall I only needed to drain the catch can once every 2-3 months, however in the winter I needed to drain it at least once a month. I'm in Canada and we get some very cold weather here (-30°F).

If you forget to drain your catch can and/or it freezes up you could potentially have issues with a higher crankcase pressure. So if you do get one you have to periodically drain it.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #39
Chef-j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Old 01-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #40
Chef-j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
As long as there is not a tune involved there's nothing that will tell GM about the modification. But if for some reason the dealer says they'll charge you for work because you have a mod, GM will support the dealer on that. Clearly this is more likely with mods requiring a tune or otherwise detectable by reading the ECM.
I agreed
Old 01-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #41
TOP WHOP

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullpower View Post

We need an engineer's explanation of how exactly a catch can will in FACT cause problems that would not be covered under warranty.

TOP WHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #42
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
If you drive the car in very cold climates it's inevitable that it will catch more condensation and therefore require more frequent draining. I had a catch can on my 2015 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 DI V8 and in the spring/summer/fall I only needed to drain the catch can once every 2-3 months, however in the winter I needed to drain it at least once a month. I'm in Canada and we get some very cold weather here (-30°F).

If you forget to drain your catch can and/or it freezes up you could potentially have issues with a higher crankcase pressure. So if you do get one you have to periodically drain it.
My can filled with water in four days!

The Mishimoto can is small so I was checking it every two weeks in order to get a sense of its needs. Nothing dramatic until the temps dropped into the teen and then I found it completely full. Obviously, I was very concerned but the oil looked ok so I emptied the can and checked it four days later. That is the picture I posted (about 1/3 full). At that point I decided to remove the can and change the oil. The oil reeked like gasoline so bad the garage smelt like I spilt gas on the floor.

I don't think the water in the can would freeze due to other things mixed in. Not sure though because my garage stays in the 40s regardless of outside temp and that is were I checked it.

This is why I won't run my car with one and can understand GM not approving their use. It requires owner involvement for things not to go bad and they havn't tested them to validate.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote