Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Josh42089

Drives: 19 Chevy Camaro LTa
Using CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner

Anyone have any thoughts on this product? Would it be smart to start using it periodically? Every 10-20000 km? Since the di engines have the carbon build up over time, wondering if it would be good to start while everything is fresh or should I just get some catch cans. Heard about previous Cadillacs and Corvettes have issues needing the top ends cleaned from buildup and would rather incorporate something early on to help remedy this before any issues arise.
Josh42089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
bignaz

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Catch can is definitely a must.

Crc works great. But the whole idea of breaking off those chunks of carbon and letting them do what they want to when you clean. Better to do the catch can to cut out on most of it and then the small amount that gets past it use a cleaner like that perhaps one time a year dapending on how much driving you do.
Attached Images

bignaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Josh42089

Drives: 19 Chevy Camaro LTa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
Catch can is definitely a must.

Crc works great. But the whole idea of breaking off those chunks of carbon and letting them do what they want to when you clean. Better to do the catch can to cut out on most of it and then the small amount that gets past it use a cleaner like that perhaps one time a year dapending on how much driving you do.
I was looking up then mishimoto catch cans but kind of looks like a mess installed. Maybe just because of the red tubing it stood out more.i came across the elite engineering cans but when looking for the ltg engine setup I didn't see it listed. Also theirs is only the single can setup. They had a bunch of add ons you can get like check valves and other things. Was kind of confusing as to what id need. I understand the logic behind it all but when it comes to adding this and that I don't know what is all really needed. Is the single can really all that's needed?
Josh42089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
NewCamaroOrder

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray 1LE
Sorry no one answered sooner. but yes. You only need one. The other side of the system already has a built in air/oil separator. The real confusing part is why GM only put that on one side?

I use the Mishimoto CC. It hides nicely in the engine bay and you can buy a remote drain valve so you don't have to remove it to empty it. You can also buy a ball valve from most hardware stores as they are exactly the same as any 3/8 compressor fitting. That said, I wish it had a little bigger capacity and it is expensive compared to others.

I tried 2 other eBay specials and finally spent the money on the Mishimoto. Comparing internals, you can see where the money went. It's a nice can.

Mine came with blue hose, I bought black hose because that's what I wanted. Now it's up to you.
NewCamaroOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
I have used this product, and I also have catch cans. The reason why is because I bought a new Silverado, 5.3liter Ecotech, in 2014. After awhile noticed a rough idle and lost about 2mpg. The truck had nearly 20k miles so I popped the intake off and was disappointed to see my valves all covered with carbon, and the ports also. I was able to pour about 6 0z of oil out of the intake, where the oil pooled at the bottom. After seeing this first hand I was convinced that the DI engines needed special care. I went to Northern tools purchased a media blaster grabbed two bags of walnuts and cleaned it out. The truck ran perfect once I put it back together. I can say from experience that the DI carbon buildup issue is real. I have rebuilt many port injected engines and some with carbs. I have never seen valves and ports so caked up in any of those engines even if they had 200K miles on them.

So I just got my 2017 Chevy camaro SS and the car is solid. Haven't purchased a used vehicle in quite some time so I was prepared to fix a few issues. The first thing I noticed was that the idle was terrible. It almost seemed like if was misfiring. I ordered a catch can and when I installed it I ran a can of CRC through the upper vacuum nipple where the suction side of the catch can connects. I simply followed the directions on the can, nothing special. I then changed the oil. The idle was way better than before. I was thinking this would have no effect because I only have 11,500 miles on this car but it made a difference.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
SuperSnake1972

Drives: 2020 chevrolet camaro 2SS
Catch Can

I got one on my 2020 2SS and use CRC valve cleaner too every 10K.
SuperSnake1972 is offline   Reply With Quote